General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IM recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-27 11:09 AM

Subject: Post IM recovery
Following my first HIM I felt understandably tired and had an upset stomach for hours, but felt fine the next morning after a good nights sleep. Following my second HIM I was once again tired and had an upset stomach. I took a two hour nap and felt great when I woke up. Drove home (4 hours) and went to bed at my normal time. My race time for the second HIM was about 20 minutes better. I think the difference between the two races was experience, improved nutrition, and intake (food/fluids) during the race. I am going to do my first IM this year and wanted to get an idea of what to expect after the race.

2014-03-27 1:07 PM
in reply to: tjudson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Post IM recovery

My first two IM's had recoveries that were measured in weeks and not days.  The last few have been easier.

Expect your first IM to really kick your butt.

2014-03-27 1:49 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My first IM absolutely destroyed me. I could barely walk for 10 days. Lost 7/10 toenails. Felt like hell. Generally had a rough time of it.

After IM two and three the recovery has been relatively benign, walking with out too much of a limp in 3-4 days, back to very gentle training in 10-14 days.

I would not plan anything too vigorous for after the race.

(I should also say that I think how you do the run makes the most difference. If you are out there pushing your limits, running for the entire 26.2 miles, the day after will be pretty ugly. If you are mostly walk/jogging 26.2 miles you might still hurt quite a bit but not like if you were able to run the whole thing. Others may disagree with me)
2014-03-27 1:50 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

There is no comparison between the two for me.  For my two HIMs, I was tired and a bit sore but pretty much functioning normally.  For the IM I did, I was pretty much wrecked - puked my guts up all night after the race and didn't feel at all normal for a few days.

2014-03-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
One of the reasons they call it Ironman
2014-03-27 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
HIM is nothing compared to IM on a lot of levels. Recovery is one of them. 48 hours post is usually the worst. Its a very deep residual fatigue that works on everyone differently.

2014-03-27 2:55 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Ditto to others experiences.

I would add that for my first two IMs, I had to get in a car the next morning and sit for a 12-hour drive back home. We made sure to schedule stops every ~2 hours to get out and walk around (in our compression socks and flip flops - let that image sink in) - also due to us drinking a ton to re-hydrate we had to pee a lot. I remember walking a few laps around the gas station to get my blood moving.

My 3rd IM I had 5 days after the race to lounge around by the pool and it seemed to be much better. That could have been the experience or the wine talking, not sure which one

2014-03-27 3:04 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Thanks for the input.

I would characterize myself as a finisher. No impressive time, but make it to the end. For both HIM's I did I have to do some run/walking towards the end. I'm not the type that must run the entire time.
2014-03-27 3:22 PM

User image

I've done 3 marathons, 3 HIMs, and 1 IM.  In my experience, it really depends how much you run, and how hard you run during the run portion that determines how wrecked you'll feel afterwards.  Blow up on the bike, and do a lot of walking...chances are you will still feel exhausted and sore the next day, but it won't linger as long because walking is lower impact.  

After my first and only IM, I felt absolutely fine after 36 hours.  It was a 6:09 marathon though...when I was hoping to go closer to 4:30.

2014-03-27 3:24 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Austin

Originally posted by axteraa

There is no comparison between the two for me.  For my two HIMs, I was tired and a bit sore but pretty much functioning normally.  For the IM I did, I was pretty much wrecked - puked my guts up all night after the race and didn't feel at all normal for a few days.

I have puked after 2 of my 3 HIMs, but hours after the fact. Not sure why.

2014-03-27 3:35 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

My 1 Ironman experience was a blast up until I crossed the finish line.  I couldn't eat a thing.  Probably dehydrated.

That night back in the hotel, took a long shower.  Layed down in bed and had leg cramps the entire night.

Next morning I finally felt like eating.  The worst part for me was going down stairs.  The quad cramps i experienced during the race were no joke.

Lunch the next day was painful.  We parked at a mall to "go shopping".  This was unbelievable.

2014-03-27 4:44 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
The recovery from my first IM was not all that bad, but as noted above, that is because I ended up walking much of the run. The recovery from my last HIM was actually the hardest recovery I have had since my first HIM, and it was also my fastest. I think the recovery was harder because I was able to run hard and push myself for the entire run. I'm actually hoping the recovery from my next IM is harder, since I think that will mean I had a stronger race.
2014-03-27 5:16 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Veteran
Denver area
One thing to be aware of is that you'll have a short-term recovery and a long-term recovery. You'll have some soreness post-race, depending on how hard you pushed. Then be prepared to be really wiped out for at least a few weeks and as long as a month. You won't be sore, but you'll be missing some pep in your step. I remember going to a masters workout 3 weeks after my 2nd IM thinking it would be fine and realizing mid-warmup that my body was not even close to being ready to move.

Take the month after your race to get re-acquainted with the things that were ignored during your training. Sleep in, relax, drink beer and enjoy your accomplishment.
2014-03-27 7:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I guess I'm an outlier. I didn't feel the best after my IM but I didn't feel horrible. I was hungry after a few hours. Fast forward and I FINALLY get back to my hotel and found the only open place in town at 11pm. I get a pizza that was spicy as hell and hurt my mouth like no other. Ate 2 slices and got 5 hours of sleep (my norm). I went to the hot tub the next day and relaxed. I felt fine though. I flew home 2 days after IM and took it easy but that weekend (7 days later), I ran 13 miles at one of my better speeds. I did feel tired after work but I think it was mostly mental. My purpose in life felt like it was over and thus my motivation to do anything was shot. I signed up for a marathon 1.5 weeks after IM and got back into the training mode and my after work tiredness was gone (with no surprise to me).

Edited by Blastman 2014-03-27 7:14 PM
2014-03-27 10:31 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
MA

I'd agree with another poster about the two levels of recovery the short and long term.  Long term it can be 3-4 weeks. Often second day I'm more sore than first day post IM. Depends on blisters and other odd skin issues how easy you will be able to walk and sometimes it is just random what comes up.

If you don't fully recover well before you get back training and racing, you can dig an even deeper hole that is harder to recover from.

Warning sitting for long periods after HIM or IM can be a risk for DVTs. Many athletes don't think this can happen to them but it can more so if you have an underlying clotting disorder you didn't know about. or are dehydrated.  Walk around frequently, drink a lot, don't travel and push it the day or two or three after your race.

2014-03-28 6:31 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
I was a little sore the next morning but was back running 2 days later. I tend to be pretty quick to recover from most physical activity even at 48.

2014-03-28 7:03 AM
in reply to: TriBoilermaker

User image

My first (and only but not my last) IM went great. I was smiling at the finish, took pictures with family and friends then walked over to the athletes venue for pizza. Went to the car and was in my home in the shower before midnight. I went back downtown (Louisville IM) the next day for post race festivities. My times were 1:12 swim, 6:37 bike and 5:15 run. Ridiculous transitions for a 13:37 overall.

I attribute my enjoyable race and post race experience to RACING HOW I TRAINED.

That was a "get a feel for it race". This year I have upped my training and am going to attempt a sub 12 at IMLOU. I expect that I will reach that goal but I'm sure I will know if I'm capable of that time before I ever reach the start line because my training will tell me.

Treat your race day as a long training day and you will up your chances of and enjoyable race and post race experience.
2014-03-28 7:15 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

My first IM, I spent the next day at the urgent care facility (collarbone) and the week following was driving from Idaho back to Illinois with some sightseeing in Wyoming and at Yellowstone.  I was pretty sore getting in/out of the car much of the time.  

My second IM, I went out for a 3 mile run the next day and we spent a few days at Yosimite.  I wasn't nearly as sore.  

It was several weeks before I felt "good" during workouts.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IM recovery Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Post Race Recovery

Started by sealiongirl
Views: 741 Posts: 2

2007-09-25 12:57 PM ADollar79

Post-race recovery and beyond?

Started by gdcohen
Views: 751 Posts: 3

2007-07-29 11:59 PM Broompatrol

Post Race Soreness/Recovery

Started by kpar
Views: 585 Posts: 7

2006-12-11 8:58 PM JeepFleeb

Post Workout Recovery

Started by surfandturfnj
Views: 429 Posts: 2

2005-08-31 7:50 PM Bisucas

Post Race Recovery

Started by beez89
Views: 755 Posts: 7

2004-09-10 1:39 PM beez89
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : January 27, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming post surgery, straight arm recovery, the top 3 errors in stroke technique, importance of kicking, swimming like a barge and swim golf for further improvement.
date : November 20, 2007
author : mrakes1
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.

date : November 4, 2007
comments : 4
What you eat prior to your workout will determine your energy levels during a workout. What you eat after a workout will determine how quickly you recover.
date : September 24, 2007
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.
date : November 19, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on IM heart-rate zones, LT zone testing, off season focus, aero helmets, flats and tires, 650 or 700cc, cold weather and marathon recovery.