General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Most time effective cross training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Most time effective cross training
OptionResults
strength training5 Votes - [31.25%]
flexibility type exercise (yoga, etc.)7 Votes - [43.75%]
aerobic exercise (skipping, etc)2 Votes - [12.5%]
training simulation (water running, etc.)0 Votes - [0%]
a combination of the above2 Votes - [12.5%]

2014-03-29 7:22 AM

User image

Subject: Most time effective cross training
My schedule is loosening up a bit so I find myself wondering what would be the most effective "other" activity. I follow a schedule for the run/bike/swim so I don't want to put the time into that. Which activity would help the most say, if you had an extra hour a week.

2014-03-29 7:40 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Most time effective cross training

i'd do a full on recovery session with lots of stretching/rolling and throw in some yoga to work out the hips.  the added hour should be complimentary not additive if the focus is s/b/r IMO. 

2014-03-29 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by b2run

My schedule is loosening up a bit so I find myself wondering what would be the most effective "other" activity. I follow a schedule for the run/bike/swim so I don't want to put the time into that. Which activity would help the most say, if you had an extra hour a week.

I think it would depend on weakness you may have.

If you are jnjuring yourself repetitively then strength training to work on the weak areas. I could benefit from yoga for my flexibility

But unless you have definite problem areas and are doing a ton of hours, it's very hard to imagine that the time wouldn't be better spent S/B/Ring

2014-03-29 8:14 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

If you are jnjuring yourself repetitively then strength training to work on the weak areas. I could benefit from yoga for my flexibility

But unless you have definite problem areas and are doing a ton of hours, it's very hard to imagine that the time wouldn't be better spent S/B/Ring

My upper body is weak and my flexibility is poor. My technique is not that great either, especially in swimming and biking so I could benefit from any of the activities.
2014-03-29 8:26 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Extreme Veteran

My upper body is weak and my flexibility is poor. My technique is not that great either, especially in swimming and biking so I could benefit from any of the activities.

Are you injury prone ? if so, where ?

I am not judging your decision to not put that extra hour towards S, B or R. But I am curious on why ?

One thing I would like to try is one of those VASA swim ergometers.
2014-03-29 11:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Roch-cha-cha
I picked "strength training" because I didn't want to add a whole new category.

But I am a HUGE fan of TRX training. Uses a lot of core, improves flexibility, definitely improves muscle strength, and you can get a good workout in 30-45 minutes. I am not a fan of the gym weight room and TRX really fits the bill. It can be as hard or easy as you want and actually it's a lot of fun - I do look forward to it.

Right now I do about 2-3 sessions a week as my schedule allows.

Edited by kristaae 2014-03-29 11:16 AM

2014-03-29 11:21 AM

User image

Roch-cha-cha

I hear ya. My flexibility is terrible, and my core is weak. I'm finding a lot of improvement on the bike, particularly with balance and body awareness,with strength/flexibility training. Also feeling a much better pull and less arm fatigue with TRX training.

I'm not a fan of yoga (can't shut my mind off) - I've really tried. Doctor has been begging me to add "non competitive" exercise to my routine. Regardless, my yoga mat is now under my bike trainer.

2014-03-29 1:35 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

This. This. This.

Swim, bike and run more.

If you want to add in something else do 15-20 minutes of body weight strength work and stretching after one of you added runs or bikes.
2014-03-29 3:44 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Yoga, I love strength training but my yoga/rolling/stretching time is MOST beneficial I believe...not sure I could keep up the volume without the occasional yoga session
2014-03-29 4:07 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Most effective for what?  Triathlon performance?  Countering imbalances created by only s/b/r training to improve functional fitness for daily life and long term health?  Something else?

2014-03-29 5:25 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Cross country skiing. Because it's awesome. Although I guess this isn't a very useful suggestion coming at the end of March.

2014-03-29 8:29 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Originally posted by donw Cross country skiing. Because it's awesome. Although I guess this isn't a very useful suggestion coming at the end of March.

Keying on this, something you like doing.   For me, paddleboarding.   Fun, good workout and a break from the SBR grind

2014-03-29 8:39 PM

User image

Are you injury prone ? if so, where ?

I am not judging your decision to not put that extra hour towards S, B or R. But I am curious on why ?

One thing I would like to try is one of those VASA swim ergometers.

I'm not injury prone, haven't had a injury since I stopped marathons. I have a steady increase in time and intensity for my sbr. I feel like if I exceed it, my 59 year old body won't react well.
2014-03-29 8:41 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by donw Cross country skiing. Because it's awesome. Although I guess this isn't a very useful suggestion coming at the end of March.

Keying on this, something you like doing.   For me, paddleboarding.   Fun, good workout and a break from the SBR grind

I'm in Northern Ontario. We still have three feet of snow and the temperature hasn't been above freezing since I don't know when.
2014-03-30 11:59 AM

Cold beer, it keeps me grounded.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Most time effective cross training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cross training & half marathon training benefits?

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 984 Posts: 7

2009-11-17 11:56 PM Bigpikle

Incorporating Cross-Training into your Power Training?

Started by DRLski
Views: 854 Posts: 2

2009-07-27 6:46 PM DrPete

Effective Bike Training

Started by Ershk
Views: 1383 Posts: 11

2009-05-12 4:23 PM AdventureBear

Most Effective Time to Train ???

Started by Seres
Views: 763 Posts: 5

2008-07-30 9:26 AM Seres

Swim time---Actual vs. Training Time

Started by Rencor
Views: 1071 Posts: 12

2006-06-29 6:12 PM Momida
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2012
author : CoachCK
comments : 0
Snowshoe running is a perfect form of winter cross training for athletes in colder climates. Here's what you need to know to get started.

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : November 6, 2008
Find out how the Flexible Warrior yoga poses can help triathletes through warmup, cross-training and recovery sequences. This segment is a series of active, range of motion poses used for warming up.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
Supplementing with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health improvement for a member with a diagnosed chondromalacia patellar problem.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.