General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill training advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-30 10:02 AM

Subject: Hill training advice
Hi just started after 18 month break, I've read a lot about hill repeats being a great way to boost training.
Could do with some guidance as to short and v steep? Long and challenging? Achievable with a struggle?
Advice greatly appreciated
Also should I try and get up them as fast as possible?

2014-03-30 11:52 AM
in reply to: Positivelymental

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Subject: RE: Hill training advice
The one I like to use is fairly steep maybe a 200 ft rise over 1/4 mile if I had to guess at a grade it would be somewhere between 25 to 35 degree slope, and yes you want to run up as hard as you can and then easy jog back down rest a bit if really needed, just remember that this Is a Speed work workout even though it may not seem like it. So don't be going out and running intervals the next day or you are asking for some hurt. Running hills will make you stronger for sure but then so will running some serious woodlot trails and running trails will be much more enjoyable then straight hill training. You should be able to run from the bottom of the hill to the top with a reasonably strong effort the first time and every repeat after that should be a bit more challenging, for me about 6 repeats is all I really want to do before moving on to something else but 8 to 12 repeats is doable if you have the fortitude for it.
2014-03-30 12:18 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

I like them about 400 m long and fairly steep. You want to be breathing hard at the top but not totally dead. I do them at the beginning of a season - once a week - starting at three repeats and increasing by one each week.
2014-03-30 12:48 PM
in reply to: Positivelymental

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Running or riding? If running after a break, easy running should be the order of the day. I would maybe consider some 30s efforts at 5k pace in a run each week but that would be it.

If for riding, a combo - some short and steep, some long and gradual, some in-between. Ride hard sometimes, steady others and, if practicing for a race, at race effort for others.

Ultimately, with just returning to training, consistency should be the primary goal before looking for a boost.

Shane
2014-03-30 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4973528

HI thanks for answers I should have said CYCLING!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill training advice Rss Feed