United States
42F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 39m 46s
Overall Rank = 1/3
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This race was a substitution for a training run. I trained right through it with no taper. Managed a 75+ mile week ta boot!

I partially chose the 10,000 because I was going to be VERY time constrained Saturday and didn't really have time for a long workout. So, I was just being efficient with my time ;)

I was in a really good friends wedding so Friday night J and I had to haul ass to the rehearsal dinner where I ate SO MUCH FOOD OMG! What was crazy was that I never felt full, despite the amount I put down. And yes, I had both the cheesecake AND the cannoli for dessert. I couldn't choose!

I pinned on my pilot's wings into my shorts (see photo) as my good luck charm (there is a backstory here, but I will have to get into that another time. Short story: I wanted to be a pilot growing up (my dad was one) and still have a desire to fly. My friends got me some wings in the interim)
Event warmup:

Got to the track and notified the officials of my arrival then found a dry spot to put my stuff. It was POURING and WINDY! My teammates arrived and we did a warmup together and talked strategy.

I was going back and forth on whether or not I wanted to run with my teammate. She was gunning for 93 quarters and in my opinion, and taking my non-taper into account, I didn't think it would be wise to try and push the pace early, blow up, and drag my ass around the track miserably.

I KNOW the benefits of working together, especially in the wind. But I just didn't feel comfortable with 93s so I opted to run my own race.

We were both ok with that.
Run
  • 39m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Per the advice of my coach and Dale, I broke the race up into thirds. The idea was to be conservative on the first, steady on the second and then race the last third, not letting anyone pass me unchallenged.

THE FIRST THIRD

They combined the men's and women's 10,000 so we all lined up together. It was a little crowded. The starter held the gun up and we all lined up on the dotted curve. SET (we all moved forward onto the solid curve) BANG!

Annnnnd we were off! I tucked in behind the men through the curve then naturally we all spread out. My teammate took off ahead of me and I let her go. Feeling pretty good about my decision. THe other girl tucked in behind me and we settled into pace. I led for the first 800 and was right on target. The other collegiate girl pulled out in front of me for the second.

mile 1: My target was 96 second quarters. We came into the first mile @ 6:27 feeling great. Know what the problem is? Although the 10,000 is a distance race, feeling great is not where you should be lol. My coach simply said, "too slow." So I pulled out in front of the college girl and brought the pace down a notch. I wasn't sure if she would come with me but she did and I was grateful.

Mile 2: It was windy as hell and really rainy. There were significant puddles on the track that we splashed through. I was regretting wearing socks. The girl and I did a really nice job trading the lead and working together. We didn't say a word. We finished the second mile right on pace but still behind the target. Oh yeah, and track racing? I have a lot to learn. I kept forgetting about strategy and passing right on the corner. Finally my coach was like, "Adrienne! Pass on the straights! You are doing way more work than you want to do" Duh!!! Why do I forget the most simple things!?

THE SECOND THIRD

I am pretty sure the college girl and I stepped on each other's achilles/heel no less than 15 times each. I was A. glad neither of us went down and B. Grateful we weren't wearing spikes.

Mile 3: We were still trading on and off. It was starting to hurt a bit and looking at the lap counter SUCKED. "Oh cool, 12 laps to go? fan-effing-tastic. As we finished mile 3 the clock read 19:XX which meant we hit the 5K around 20 and I felt a bit panicked. That was going to be a tough hole to dig myself out of and I wasn't feeling any fresher
Mile 4: I noticed my turns in the lead were getting longer. I was trying to be patient but was starting to really feel panic. One thing that I have noticed as I have progressed in running is that in general, the faster the people are the more humble and encouraging. The sub-30 men were SO sweet and encouraging as they ran by. Complimenting our form and pace etc. Very, very cool and much appreciate. As I closed mile 4 out I gave my coach this Steve Buscemi-wide-eyed look basically saying, "holy-shyte what should I do???" I knew I was on the cusp of the qualifying standard being out of reach and the gusts of wind were deflating, especially now that I was pretty much leading the whole time.
My coach just simply said, "T isn't far ahead. Reel her in."
Having that goal was a godsend. I now had a rabbit and a purpose. I had this vision from a blog I had read about a Lion as a spirit animal, clawing and maiming and killing your way to the front. I was that motha-fuggin-lion and I was on a hunt.

LAST THIRD

Lion or not I was tired. When you are on the track it takes a HELL of a lot of motivation to stay on that track and not just call it quits.

Mile 5: I figured if I could lay down a solid 5th mile, staying calm and collected, I could maybe have enough energy to go cray- for the last mile. It was going to be close though because I was feeling the weeks 50 miles on my legs. On the last lap on the 5th mile I started putting some distance between me and the college girl. I have some momentum coming around the corner and as I approached my teammate I told her to tuck in behind me. No dice. She was done. Just 100% suffering. I, however, was flying.

Mile 6.21371: It was going to be REALLY close if I wanted to hit that standard. I wasn't quite ready to really kick yet because I didn't want to run out of gas. I maintained through the first 800 then looked at the clock. I had to run a pretty quick final 8 if I wanted this. I literally thought to myself, "I could just step off the track. This is terrible" But then I though, "Awww hell no, I don't want to run another 10,000 on the track in a while." and I kicked it in. I started talking to myself, pretty sure it was aloud, "Go to work you f*cking p*ssy (there goes positive self talk ...)" The wind was really swirling and I just felt headwind wherever I was on the track. I came into the final lap and give it everything. As I entered the final turn I dry heaved. I had to hold it together. FInally the straight and I could see the clock 39:2X. I got closer and closer and then it was clear the standard was mine BOOM! 39:46. I immediately pulled off to the corner and had a few more dry heaves then my coach gave me a big hug.

The other two women tricked in. My teammate was WRECKED. SHe had gone out with some guts but what happened to her is exactly what I had feared had I gone with. Either way, it takes some guts to finish out a race like that. She gets mad respect.

HELL TO THE YES I AM GOING TO NATIONALS!
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on the more tactical stuff, not stepping on the feet in front of me, not getting stepped on, not passing on the corners (WTF?) more consistency, more HTFU, more more more .... I have a whole summer to work on track stuff.
Post race
Warm down:

I jogged around, grabbed my stuff and hauled ass to the car as I had a wedding to get ready for!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather
No taper
Poor track skillz
Full social schedule

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:46 | 06.21 miles | 06m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/3
Performance: Average
Course: 25 laps of pure ecstasy. 100 left turns :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-03-31 12:25 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Spring Break Open 10,000-meter

2014-03-31 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4974107

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Spring Break Open 10,000-meter

Great race Adrienne.  I love to read how your races play out.  On the edge of my chair as I visualize you circling the track.

What is the standard for that you referred to?

2014-03-31 12:47 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Great race Adrienne.  I love to read how your races play out.  On the edge of my chair as I visualize you circling the track.

What is the standard for that you referred to?

USATF-National Club Track & Field Championships

2014-03-31 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great race!  Wow!

As always, the race report was awesome as well.

Congratulations!

2014-03-31 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

From hard-azz on the track to stunning for a wedding in a couple hours!!!!!

You are soooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!! Love the breakdown and the descriptions! Love that you stuck with the plan you knew would work for you! Love that you won!!!!!!!!!! AND made NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU. ARE. A. ROCKSTAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine what you'll do when you get your track skillz down?!?!?!?!?!

2014-03-31 12:55 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Smoking FAST 10K!

On a track?  Mad skills to not go bat shyte crazy running in the same circle for 24 laps!!

Congratulations on digging out of that hole and hitting the qualifying time!!

2014-03-31 12:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

One mutha-fuggin'-bad-azzed cat out there.

Nice race!

Did you wear your racing flats to the wedding? 

Matt

(PS - that sounded like positive talk, at least to me)

2014-03-31 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

100% awesome sauce!!!!

Nicely done, and as per your general outlook, it was a great learning experience as well. Congrats on your  finish and on qualifying for NATIONALS!!!!!

2014-03-31 1:11 PM

Master
Northern IL

Great job Adrienne! Knew you could get there.

2014-03-31 1:15 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Wow, that was awesome!  Great job sticking to the plan and gutting it out when you had to!!

2014-03-31 2:00 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Fast and cleans up well

I am totally getting a "go to work you f***ing p***y" shirt for my next race 

Awesome report

2014-03-31 2:18 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master

You are my hero.  Even if you aren't moving to Canada!  Congratulations on all your amazing hard work paying off.  

2014-03-31 2:22 PM

User image

Awesome race report.  BAMF.  

2014-03-31 2:28 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Orlando
Wow, that was awesome in every respect! Congratulations!!!! Of course, now that you're 30, you'll probably slow down a bit
2014-03-31 2:45 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Top 10 phrases from Salty’s qualifying for Nationals RR.

#10 “trained right through it with no taper. Managed a 75+ mile week ta boot!”

#9 “I partially chose the 10,000 because I was going to be VERY time constrained Saturday and didn't really have time for a long workout. So, I was just being efficient with my time ;)”

#8 “I had both the cheesecake AND the cannoli for dessert. I couldn't choose!”

#7 “I pinned on my pilot's wings into my shorts”

#6 “Finally my coach was like, "Adrienne! Pass on the straights! You are doing way more work than you want to do" Duh!!! Why do I forget the most simple things!?”

#5 “I am pretty sure the college girl and I stepped on each other's achilles/heel no less than 15 times each. I was A. glad neither of us went down and B. Grateful we weren't wearing spikes.”

#4 "Oh cool, 12 laps to go? fan-effing-tastic”

#3 “I was that motha-fuggin-lion and I was on a hunt.”

#2 "Go to work you f*cking p*ssy”

#1 “HELL TO THE YES I AM GOING TO NATIONALS!”

Now where did that updo picture go?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETNESS and AWESOME JOB!

2014-03-31 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I'm just getting to this report now as the hospital has been nuts today and I've been in the cath lab all day...(not to mention pretty sleepless from 'on call' all weekend and multiple pages last nite...)

I'm very glad you decided on what you needed to do and did not get sucked into running someone else's race. Although I wish that I was there to see it, your reports always gives me an upclose and personal view, so thanks again for taking us along for the ride. I love the detail in your reports and writing these reports will help you remember stuff that will help you make the same mistake less often.

Seems you hit all 3 of your goals. I liked your 96 sec target and then you turned the screws and picked up the pace very well when you needed to. True 10K RP always hurts in the last third. Get used to it, as you're a 6KXC runner and it's always gut wrenching.

I was having flashbacks about the coach mouthing 'too fast' in the book 'Once a Runner'. Your trial of miles is bringing you to the M starting line right on time. Challenging conditions did not deter you. Dancing on other runners heels did not slow you. Chastising your self worked pretty well. A little puke is proof of real work.

Big congratulations to you. You already know how to fly, you just do it on the ground.

Perhaps your coach will realize that you have insight into your own running style and take that into account in the future.You do need to learn when to pass better on the track, shesh...but what a great, great report. We are all very proud of you, Adrienne. Terrific race. What a great way to celebrate your birthday.

You are a 'nationals level' runner and deserve 'mad praise' yourself. And, quite the stunner in the blue dress.
Hubba hubba...

Enjoy the rest of your b-day! You deserve it.

2014-03-31 3:00 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by dtoce I'm just getting to this report now as the hospital has been nuts today and I've been in the cath lab all day...(not to mention pretty sleepless from 'on call' all weekend and multiple pages last nite...) I'm very glad you decided on what you needed to do and did not get sucked into running someone else's race. Although I wish that I was there to see it, your reports always gives me an upclose and personal view, so thanks again for taking us along for the ride. I love the detail in your reports and writing these reports will help you remember stuff that will help you make the same mistake less often. Seems you hit all 3 of your goals. I liked your 96 sec target and then you turned the screws and picked up the pace very well when you needed to. True 10K RP always hurts in the last third. Get used to it, as you're a 6KXC runner and it's always gut wrenching. I was having flashbacks about the coach mouthing 'too fast' in the book 'Once a Runner'. Your trial of miles is bringing you to the M starting line right on time. Challenging conditions did not deter you. Dancing on other runners heels did not slow you. Chastising your self worked pretty well. A little puke is proof of real work. Big congratulations to you. You already know how to fly, you just do it on the ground. Perhaps your coach will realize that you have insight into your own running style and take that into account in the future.You do need to learn when to pass better on the track, shesh...but what a great, great report. We are all very proud of you, Adrienne. Terrific race. What a great way to celebrate your birthday. You are a 'nationals level' runner and deserve 'mad praise' yourself. And, quite the stunner in the blue dress. Hubba hubba... Enjoy the rest of your b-day! You deserve it.

Yes, a thousand times YES!

2014-03-31 3:28 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

From hard-azz on the track to stunning for a wedding in a couple hours!!!!!

You are soooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!! Love the breakdown and the descriptions! Love that you stuck with the plan you knew would work for you! Love that you won!!!!!!!!!! AND made NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU. ARE. A. ROCKSTAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine what you'll do when you get your track skillz down?!?!?!?!?!

Awwww thanks!

Heh, my skillz need some serious refinement. But I hope to give it a true tapered effort at some point!

2014-03-31 3:30 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

One mutha-fuggin'-bad-azzed cat out there.

Nice race!

Did you wear your racing flats to the wedding? 

Matt

(PS - that sounded like positive talk, at least to me)

I WISH! However, the bride gave us all chuck taylors to wear after the ceremony. 

2014-03-31 3:30 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Smoking FAST 10K!

On a track?  Mad skills to not go bat shyte crazy running in the same circle for 24 laps!!

Congratulations on digging out of that hole and hitting the qualifying time!!

25 laps, actually. How cruel is that????

2014-03-31 3:32 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ChrisM

Fast and cleans up well

I am totally getting a "go to work you f***ing p***y" shirt for my next race 

Awesome report

Ah, such an elegant quote

2014-03-31 3:45 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

*smiling too much to give a meaningful reply*

2014-03-31 3:48 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

OK, OK, I think I'm ready to type now.  So much awesomeness in that write-up.  So much awesomeness put down on that track by the mutha-fuggin' lion!  And I totally agree, positive self talk is usually more productive but sometimes ya just gotta yell at yourself. Big hugs and big congrats on making Nationals, that is tremendous!  Keep up the good work, and you look positively stunning for the wedding. 

2014-03-31 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Great race!
2014-03-31 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

There is just too much awesome in that RR -- thanks for sharing and congrats on racing your own race and nailing your goal!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Break Open 10,000-meter Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Pueblo Spring Runoff 10 Mile Race

Started by Donskiman
Views: 1158 Posts: 1

2010-08-28 12:39 PM Donskiman

Spring '10 Backyard Burn Race #4

Started by Bioteknik
Views: 875 Posts: 1