United States
Epic Ultras
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Just shower and packing up. Ate 2/3 of MetRX Big 100 Colossal Chocolate Almond Bar. And had my breakfast Go Juice (with Peanuts and Beet Juice) as my first and biggest (28oz) bottle of the day.
Kept up the Go Juice all day, plus gels, and few after half way with 25mg of Caffeine, especially in the night and after virtually stopping for 40mins for the gal (see below) it was good to have some Caff on hand.
Event warmup:

Walked the first ~4.5miles on the Asphalt.
Run
  • 17h 17m
  • 50 miles
  • 20m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Names omitted to protect the innocent...
Highlights only-
Walked first 4.5miles on Asphalt out and back North then back South. And used Restroom at Start/Finish on way back by.
Excellent tree-and-bush lined trail with just a bit of Asphalt through Princeton and Richmond.
At Greater Garnett, long long stretch of Asphalt from North of, then into-through-and almost out south of town to Depot Aid Station... thought for bit I might have missed it, and it was basically unmarked but folks were hanging around.
Left Turnaround Aid Station exactly on 'A' Goal Pace at 27.3miles in 7:30 (14Hour 50 Pace) and ready to rock, maybe even catch a few more folks- although they were a LONG way ahead of me- and generally in good spirits.
Wanted to walk long Asphalt again, got into a good rhythm, and got talking with fellow participants.
Started picking it up, timing the miles on Stopwatch and was doing well when a couple folks dropped off and it was just me and my new running buddy, so we decided walking fast (relatively speaking fast) was a good pace for now. Over half-way to Richmond the guy I was walking and chatting with and I both noted we had 'Hotspots' and would stop for Feet Check at Richmond. I had roll-on Sport-Shield ON me, but didn't stop to check until Richmond. HUGE BLISTERS on both feet, and on toes of right foot. Rolled on Sport-Shield, and pulled 1 of the 3 insoles out of right shoe, while my compatriot had one foot duct-taped and one Vaseline-ed. He later reported Duct-Tape is clearly better.
Was still ahead of 2nd-ary Goal Pace at this point, which I know because Wife had chart with those times on it for Aid Station showtimes, and I was well ahead, but I don't really know what time it was, and the game was changing rapidly to just go on and finish with no other goals involved.
Learned after this point that the wheels can come off pretty badly with new things being the bigger issue as you go.
Blisters were 'Epic' but became the lesser challenge as just at dusk we came upon a gal in virtual rigor mortis from the combination of dehydration and/or food and electrolyte deficiency, and cold. She was walking like a Penguin with tiny 4-inch steps, chattering teeth and spasm-ing muscles. We both walked with her a good while, giving her fluids and SatlStick tabs by pouring from his CamelBak into my bottle because she couldn't drink from his Camelbak at all, and offering her food. Then he went on ahead to next aid station at my suggestion while I stayed with her. He sent back his father and brother in law and then the ranger came in a truck to get her.
As I got going again, after his family members arrived to walk with her, I realized I was nearly hypothermic too from lack of movement without my jacket hat and gloves that were at the next aid station, so arms were flailing and muscles stiff and I semi-shivering. Crap!
Bucked up and got to the Aid Station and my new buddy had waited for me, so now we were in it together for the long haul. I put on the extra layers-hat gloves and jacket- lifesavers all- and we hit the trail, but now he had major cramping, and was just reaching his limit, partly I'm sure from lack of nutrition and drink, which I almost never saw him do, and we stopped regularly at least at Mile Markers and Road Crossings, for him to stretch and rest, putting us both back at risk for cold-related muscle trouble.
Near the finish he urged me to go on ahead as he rested one last time and I eased it on it to a GREAT reception and food- Chili Dog, Hamburger and Choc Cake!
What would you do differently?:

I've been married 15 years and only 2 times have I even mentioned blisters to my wife. Unfortunately they were the last long run before this event and during this event. Got to get that figured RIGHT NOW, and put it behind me. Starting with the very complicated shoe situation- [Leg Length Discrepancy].
Other than that it went as it went because I was an utter newbie and now I have a year to figure it out better.
For one I Started with 50oz water, but finished it before half way and never refilled it. What I did after was drink down my go juice, then use the bottle empty or not, at the unmanned water stations. Probably should have a more comprehensive plan for water.
That gal was in trouble, and I had a better experience because of staying and talking with my running buddy than self-talk about what a bad deal the blisters and freezing cold are would have been. But we averaged 30min miles for 14 miles and I need to not let that happen again. I will need to know when to break loose in the future. In the end I averaged 20min miles. I think I could have averaged 20min miles for the last 14 and finished with an ave closer to 17-18min miles. Next time I will be readier.
But the biggest issue is I CAN train for this. More treadmill, regularly, and more volume in general, and I should lower this time into the range of personal respectability.
The after-soreness and swelling and blisters I believe are mostly cautionary notes on volume, and getting the shoes right, not a sign I 'just can't do this sort of thing'.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Blisters, lack of training.

Event comments:

Awesome race direction and crew. From Communication, to Pre-Race Dinner and Speaker (the Legendary David Horton) to Epic finish line, this is a Class A event all the way. They really put passion into it and it shows.
And this year, the weather was perfect for a long run.
Maybe too perfect? The lack of wind and great sunny day with mild temps encouraged all the local farmers to do their yearly grass burn. Mmm I love the smell of burning grass in the morning. It smell like... Victory.

Last updated: 2014-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
17:17:00 | 50 miles | 20m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Lovely, tree-and-bush-lined trail. Must be magnificent in full foliage.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-03-31 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Subject: Prairie Spirit 50
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Prairie Spirit 50 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OPSF Ultra 50/50

Started by jcash683
Views: 1138 Posts: 1

2010-02-15 10:40 PM jcash683

OPSF Ultra 50/50

Started by getsome
Views: 2254 Posts: 2

2009-11-10 4:43 PM jcash683

Chicago 50/50 - 50 Miler

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1922 Posts: 2

2008-11-03 7:15 PM enginerd

Chicago 50/50 - 50k

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1596 Posts: 6

2008-01-03 12:46 PM KSH

chicago lakefront 50/50 ultramarathon

Started by trixie
Views: 2760 Posts: 10

2006-11-14 1:16 PM jeanneroth
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2012
author : WIRachuba
comments : 1
On a rocky (concrete) path to the stars. A cautionary tale of how to get hooked on Triathlons

date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?