General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No Power Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-01 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: No Power

So I have been swimming and running very consistently over the offseason. My cycling was a bit secondary because it is my strength, and I despise the trainer.  As it has finally begun to get warmer I have ramped up the cycling, but I feel like I have no power.  My threshold power seems close to what it was last year, but riding with a group I just can't stay with the surges if I have to go above about 550 watts more than a few times.

Last season it was the opposite. I could sprint and push hard, but my endurance was limited early in the year. The other weird thing is that last year my limiter was always my lungs. This year I just can't seem to put out the power with my legs, but my lungs are fine. What in the heck is going on? I cannot decide if I just have poor bike fitness and need T.I.T.S. or if I need to do a bit of work on 1 minute power.

ETA: BT deleted my abbreviation for time in the saddle.....

Edited by dmiller5 2014-04-01 9:40 AM

2014-04-01 9:38 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: No Power

Timely and interesting question!

Really curious to hear the experienced folks' thoughts on this one, as I'm in a similar spot (and starting to now wig out about the bike… ahem… to focus on the bike now, that is).

My cycling only friends have always said that running ruins their riding.  To the point that a few Cx focused friends won't even run an early season spring race (HM), as they claim that having done that in the past has carried over negatively to their fall season (I think they were looking for excuses  - both for their fall riding and to needle triathletes/runners!).  

I wonder, though, is there a negative effect to a run focus other than just the fitness lost during the necessary time traded from the bike to the run?  

I suppose I'll have a better idea in a few months, good or bad, but it would be great to hear what people say to the above and Dave's excellent question...

Matt 

2014-04-01 10:05 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

So I have been swimming and running very consistently over the offseason. My cycling was a bit secondary because it is my strength, and I despise the trainer.  As it has finally begun to get warmer I have ramped up the cycling, but I feel like I have no power.  My threshold power seems close to what it was last year, but riding with a group I just can't stay with the surges if I have to go above about 550 watts more than a few times.

Last season it was the opposite. I could sprint and push hard, but my endurance was limited early in the year. The other weird thing is that last year my limiter was always my lungs. This year I just can't seem to put out the power with my legs, but my lungs are fine. What in the heck is going on? I cannot decide if I just have poor bike fitness and need T.I.T.S. or if I need to do a bit of work on 1 minute power.

ETA: BT deleted my abbreviation for time in the saddle.....

Get on some hill repeats for a couple of weeks......you'll be fine.

2014-04-01 10:09 AM

User image

over a barrier
Jump in some early season CRITS and you're surging issues will be past you before you know. Aside, from that, work on 10-20" surges our of turns on solo rides while falling back into steady hard efforts. A lot of the willingness to hold a wheel is mental and knowing when the jump will end.

The answer to your question though is AND not OR. If you haven't been riding every level of power drops especially at the top end. The amount of work above threshold is determined by the types of rides (and your races) that you do.

I do 100-200 meter sprints and 5" sprints out of corners year round, but my priority is CX.
2014-04-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

The top end stuff is usually the first to go.  It also tends to come back fairly quickly.

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-01 1:05 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No Power Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2395 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 7950 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

oh noes!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1499 Posts: 3

2010-09-10 8:02 AM bcart1991

noes plugs

Started by roxygirl
Views: 2326 Posts: 14

2008-05-30 2:11 AM intriathlete

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1939 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.