United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 34s
Overall Rank = 289/309
Age Group = 31-35
Age Group Rank = 33/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up as per usual 6:30. Drank a little coffee, ate two pancakes. The clams from the previous night weren't sitting well, made numerous trips to the potty. No upset stomach but worried about dehydration. All cleared up within a few hours. Stretched, read a little, tried to ignore the nerves. Had to make a trip to the hardware store to do some last minute maintenance on the bike (nothing major). Drove the bike course. Got all my gear together, and rode from the house to the beach to sign in.
Event warmup:

Picked out a good place for the bike. laid out my gear:towel, shoes, rinse water, etc. Got my GREEN swim cap and t-shirt. Paced around like a caged animal. I was nervous as all get out! I took my shirt off, and then put it back on. Finall at about 10:50 or so I did a warm up swim. I felt good. And I saw a large striped bass swim underneath me. Good omen? :) Then I went to the starting line shortly after 11 for the directions at 11:15. They grouped us into our heats that were staggered every minute. And then we waited until 11:35 when the horn went off for the first heat.
Swim
  • 09m 44s
  • 402 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was surprised that the swim went so well. The waves weren't bad but the current was noticeable and affected everyone. Halfway through the swim my breathing was labored and I was breathing every stroke or two, but I noticed that I was staying with my heat and catching others from the earlier heats. ONE note to RD's or future RD's... if you are going to hand out colored swim caps to differentiate heats, don't make one color the same color as the buoys for marking the course. Halfway through I thought I was almost at the turn but I was just spotting the cap from an earlier heat's swimmer. Anyway... I figured it out and made it. As I walked up the beach (I was sure I was going to die:) ) I remembered that I could check my watch. It said 9:44. That included the 50 yd dash, and the walk onto the beach. So... cool. And I didn't have any problems with the washing machine. I just swam with everybody. I got kicked (someone scissor kicking) and I wacked someone in the face with my elbow. But once the race began, I didn't give any ground.
What would you do differently?:

Trot out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

Getting out onto the course was a little rough, what with my thoughts about dying and all :) . But I got out and moving. I needed some extra water since the salt water was really strong in my mouth. Rinsed some out and drank some. I was just having a hard time convincing my body to get moving.

Practice some swim to bike bricks with full transition.
Bike
  • 44m 45s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Getting up to speed was the hardest thing. I didn't feel that I got there until a couple miles into it after the first big hill, but I was still passing people, so it couldn't have been terrible. I kept well hydrated, and after making the turn to start the second lap I ate a power gel. I had taped it to my handlebars, so when I pulled it off, the top tore just right. The sun had warmed the gel nicely so it wasn't so viscous. That worked well. I found that hills can be friends, especially on the downhills. I cranked the gears up and pedalled like mad going down. I almost bit it on the sharpest curve that also happened to be at the bottom of a large hill, but it all worked out.

My second lap was quicker than my first and it went really smoothly.

I think my performance here was good. I never got out of the saddle and did will even while on a MTB. I was really nervous about that for some reason.

I don't know... other than the swim/bike bricks I mentioned above... getting used to getting up to speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

The most difficult thing here was the race organization... the area that was labelled "racers only" was not really for racers only. I had a 8 year old kid walking in my path and I was trying not to run him over, but he just never saw me. I kept yelling "Excuse me!" but to no avail really. And people had just dropped their bikes in lot rather than racking them back up. Very uncool, I thought. But I got my bike back to the rack and grabbed my hat, my gatorade and got moving.

Can't really say...
Run
  • 1h 15m
  • 4 miles
  • 18m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was the low point for me. I knew coming in from my bike, that if my knee held out I would have a chance at coming in at 1:45. For a while I though that would happen. My legs just felt numb for the first half mile. I made the first turnaround and kept going. Shorthly after that, I felt my knee start to twinge. I alternated running with walking, and soon was walking more than I was running. I carried my own drink with me to ensure that I stayed hydrated. But with walking it wasn't all that necessary.

The waves came in and drenched my shoes making them lead weights on my legs. And the sand really collected in there. When I made the last turn for the last fifty feet to the finish, I was surprised to find that I had to run over some rocks to pass through the finish line. Not fun. especially with my knee.

Not have knee problems. Run without shoes on the beach.
Post race
Warm down:

Most of my run had been my warm-down. But I walked around... grabbed a cup or two of gatorade, some orange slices... Hugged my wife. Then I went and played in the ocean with my son. Ate some pizza that the family had.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Clearly the biggest problem was the knee.

Event comments:

The organization was kind of all over the place. NOt a very secure bike transition area made me a little nervous. Almost running over a kid really was uncool. Making the next to last turn on bike route and having to deal with traffic was uncool. It would be nice to know split times rather than just total time. The starting in heats went really well. Much better than last year evidently.

I would probably do this race again if I were on the island at the time the race was scheduled, but I won't go out of my way to do it again.

Last updated: 2006-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:44 | 402 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/309
Performance: Good
Suit: NO
Course: Started with an approx 50 yd dash down the beach with a hard right turn to enter the water (unusual I thought). THen two left turns around red buoys to exit the water and run toward the transition area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:45 | 12 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course made two laps around several roads on the south of Block Island. It was hillier than I had anticipated, but nothing terrible. My wife overheard some folks talking about the course being a killer, but coming from WV, I think I have a different perspective on just what a hill is. Beautifully scenic ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:15:00 | 04 miles | 18m 45s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: The run was a beach run along a very busy beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-08 9:11 AM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: Block Island Triathlon

2006-08-08 10:55 AM
in reply to: #505200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: RE: Block Island Triathlon

hey triathlete! good job anyway, and it seemed like you had some weird stuff to deal with!!! I couldn't imagine finishing on the beach...my poor little ankles wouldn't like it!!

but you did it!!!!!!

2006-08-08 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Congratulations, triathlete~ you have come full circle.

I thought for an OWS, your time was excellent. It takes a while to get those legs going on the bike, for sure. I'm sure you recognize if you're feeling into this, a tri or road bike would increase your speed by several MPH. As for the run...don't be too hard on yourself! It's so so so so hard if you have an injury and haven't been able to train correctly. You did the best you could. Great job!

2006-08-09 6:46 AM
in reply to: #505389

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
I know what you mean!! I got back to the bike transition to find someone in my spot. I just put my bike in the next closest, but there were bikes everywhere! The run on the beach was crazy...I was trying to not run over little kids or step in a hole and turn my ankle...Im going to fill out my race report now! Good Job and Congrats!!
2006-08-09 8:18 AM

User image

oops! that might have been me with the scissor kick... sorry! I was trying not to drown! I wonder if you were the guy i was following during the run from hell... were you wearing blue?
2006-08-09 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Congrats Triathlete!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Block Island Triathlon Rss Feed