BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-03 4:01 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Hit it. I don't know how you guys using the mobile site have survived with a 100+ page thread.

Each time I've opened this thread today and saw the phrase, "Hit it", Beastie Boys '(You Gotta)Fight For Your Right (To Party)' came to mind, even though I'm pretty sure the song starts with "kick it", not "hit it", LOL!  So thank you, Yanti!

Darn you for now getting that stuck in my head!!!   DARN YOU ALL TO HECK!!! 

Nice new avvy though   

2014-04-03 4:02 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

No, I have never stooped to the juicy sweats... though I've got a pair of IM sweatpants that I bought at IMAZ for after the race and may have worn them a few times since...  

I thought I said where the new ink is??  The colourful mary jane/maple leaf is on my left ankle & the remaining tat that I want will go along the right side of my rib cage which is going to hurt like a muthafu**a!  

Ouch!

Yeah, I know.  I've got one on the left side of my ribs, so I know what I'm in for... and it ain't gonna tickle.  

2014-04-03 4:47 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well it looks like I'm going to miss opening nite for the Albuquerque Running for Brews  I have to go to Phoenix, of all places!

Consolation is In-N-Out Burger  With that travel and a few days in Moab the following week I probably won't do the sprint I've been considering on the 26th.

2014-04-03 5:24 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Ah, the lovely month of April.   In these parts it means it's tornado season.   Forecast for Friday don't look good.   Will be training indoors, thank you very much.

That is all......

Agreed.  We got 3 inches of snow overnight and it's continuing today.  Should have done my run last night instead of planning it for tonight.  Seems to be warm enough to do it anyway so I'll just pull on the rain gear and get ready for wet feet.  Not complaining though; I know some of you have had/still have it way worse (not you, Yanti!).  I'm thinking of it as a commiseration run.

Ahhhh yes... springtime in the Rockies...

Speaking of which, the sun is now out, streets are dry, and it's 43*.  Guess the run won't be as wet as anticipated, just muddy.  I can live with that.

2014-04-03 9:20 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Well it looks like I'm going to miss opening nite for the Albuquerque Running for Brews  I have to go to Phoenix, of all places!

Consolation is In-N-Out Burger  With that travel and a few days in Moab the following week I probably won't do the sprint I've been considering on the 26th.

Well, phooey on Phoenix anyway!  Bummer about the sprint plans too.  Hope In-N-Out Burger and Moab ease the sting of missing out, at least a little.

2014-04-04 8:10 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

No, I have never stooped to the juicy sweats... though I've got a pair of IM sweatpants that I bought at IMAZ for after the race and may have worn them a few times since...  

I thought I said where the new ink is??  The colourful mary jane/maple leaf is on my left ankle & the remaining tat that I want will go along the right side of my rib cage which is going to hurt like a muthafu**a!  

Yeah it is!  I thought I wanted one there until I did my back coverup.  The bits that went towards the ribs hurt like a b**ch.  I decided that I didn't want to get one there anymore.

2014-04-04 11:55 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
In an effort to absorb some time while not at work or training I am looking at some books to read and improve my knowledge. I have a pretty good amount of knowledge ragarding running but swimming, biking, physyology and nutrition are weaknesses.

What books would anyone recommend reading?

I have Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes, 3rd Ed. by Monique Ryan and Triathlon Anatomy by Mark Klion on the way from Amazon. Looking for some informational reading to go along with reading the "Game of Thrones" series.
2014-04-04 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

April 5-6
Jonathan TX - Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas  on Sunday
Ernesto - Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas  on Sunday
Kate - SacTown 10 miler Run on Sunday

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back
Tom - lateral collateral ligament sprain in knee (improving)
Melanie - under the weather
Chris - under the weather

2014-04-04 2:14 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

April 5-6

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back

Yay racers!  Boo sickies and hurties!

2014-04-04 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!

April 5-6

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back

Yay racers!  Boo sickies and hurties!

GOOOOOO RACING MANATEES!!! 

Boooooo to those who are sick &/or hurt.  And yes, I recognize that I'm booing myself.  

2014-04-04 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jbwills In an effort to absorb some time while not at work or training I am looking at some books to read and improve my knowledge. I have a pretty good amount of knowledge ragarding running but swimming, biking, physyology and nutrition are weaknesses. What books would anyone recommend reading? I have Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes, 3rd Ed. by Monique Ryan and Triathlon Anatomy by Mark Klion on the way from Amazon. Looking for some informational reading to go along with reading the "Game of Thrones" series.

There is a book out there called "Swim Speed Secrets" that a number of people on BT have used and have been really happy about - not only with the book, but also because you can also buy waterproof cards that have various swim workouts on them.  

http://swimspeedsecrets.com/

2014-04-04 3:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!

April 5-6

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back

GO JONATHAN!!  GO ERNESTO!!  GO FROGGY KATE!!

Show 'em what you've been training for, gang, and have fun out there.

Edited by melbo55 2014-04-04 3:09 PM
2014-04-04 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jbwills In an effort to absorb some time while not at work or training I am looking at some books to read and improve my knowledge. I have a pretty good amount of knowledge ragarding running but swimming, biking, physyology and nutrition are weaknesses. What books would anyone recommend reading? I have Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes, 3rd Ed. by Monique Ryan and Triathlon Anatomy by Mark Klion on the way from Amazon. Looking for some informational reading to go along with reading the "Game of Thrones" series.

There is a book out there called "Swim Speed Secrets" that a number of people on BT have used and have been really happy about - not only with the book, but also because you can also buy waterproof cards that have various swim workouts on them.  

On the nutrition front, you might want to look at Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald.
2014-04-04 3:12 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Swim Speed Secrets is more of a theory book. It helps to explain what to focus on. It's not meant to be an all encompassing book on swimming. More just explaining what to focus more on and why. As there is a LOT of stuff that can be thrown at you in swimming.

Swim Speed Workouts is the workout set. Not the same thing as the Secrets book, but both by Sheila T. I have an extra one of the former as someone did not appreciate this distinction last holiday.

Daniels Running Formula is helpful for run work. I have the 2nd edition, though it seems that a 3rd has come out fairly recently.

Training & Racing With a Powermeter has been helpful for cycling. You don't actually need a powermeter for it to be helpful. They often include HR equivalents in the various workouts.

These two books by Phyl Skiba will help with physiology and a more overall view of things. And again, the power book is helpful even if one does not have a powermeter. He applies the concepts to both swimming and running which don't have this capability yet.

Edited by brigby1 2014-04-04 3:14 PM
2014-04-04 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
I had to take my dog to the vet this afternoon ( just yearly shots) and now I am home, so I get to start the weekend early!!!! Unfortunately, getting this early jump cost me about $160 :0. So it's a good news- bad news kind of thing.

happy weekend manatees!

2014-04-04 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723 I had to take my dog to the vet this afternoon ( just yearly shots) and now I am home, so I get to start the weekend early!!!! Unfortunately, getting this early jump cost me about $160 :0. So it's a good news- bad news kind of thing.

happy weekend manatees!

Happy Weekend!!  You're out $ and Gunnar probably isn't all that happy about the visit either... I think it's wine time!! 

After waking up barely able to move because of my stupid neck/shoulder/back stuff (Tony had to help me out of bed - it wasn't pretty), I went to the chiro again today only to be told that I was entirely too locked up for him to even be able to work on me, so he sent me to the massage therapist for 30 minutes before hand and HO-LEEEEE SHIZNIT.  I'm pretty sure I broke out in a full-body sweat (and maybe some tears) as she worked on me.  

I think I'll actually be smart and NOT work out today.  See?? I CAN be smart sometimes!  

2014-04-04 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Racing Manatees!

April 5-6

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back

Go Manatees!!!!

Have a great raceand enjoy the journey.
2014-04-04 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723 I had to take my dog to the vet this afternoon ( just yearly shots) and now I am home, so I get to start the weekend early!!!! Unfortunately, getting this early jump cost me about $160 :0. So it's a good news- bad news kind of thing.

happy weekend manatees!

Happy Weekend!!  You're out $ and Gunnar probably isn't all that happy about the visit either... I think it's wine time!! 

After waking up barely able to move because of my stupid neck/shoulder/back stuff (Tony had to help me out of bed - it wasn't pretty), I went to the chiro again today only to be told that I was entirely too locked up for him to even be able to work on me, so he sent me to the massage therapist for 30 minutes before hand and HO-LEEEEE SHIZNIT.  I'm pretty sure I broke out in a full-body sweat (and maybe some tears) as she worked on me.  

I think I'll actually be smart and NOT work out today.  See?? I CAN be smart sometimes!  

Actually, Gunnar loves going to the vet, so he can have everybody fawn over him - he's a total dog-   But, it is almost wine time!

Sorry to hear about your stupid neck/shoulder/back stuff.  Maybe a ortho consult is needed???

2014-04-04 4:52 PM

User image

Seattle

If yall like funny stuff you should check out the youtube I posted in my blog and then the photo. Our friends surprised us with the best bday gift ever. 

2014-04-04 4:54 PM

User image

Seattle

GO

Racing Manatees!

Get those 70.3 Jonathan  and Ernesto
and kill every 10 of those miles, Kate 

The rest of you, feel better!

2014-04-04 5:29 PM

User image

Denver, CO

happy weekend manatees!

Happy weekend and don't think about how much your pooch costs per pound.

2014-04-04 5:36 PM

User image

Denver, CO

happy weekend manatees!

Yikes!!  You clearly need to loosen up.  Maybe a trip back to Vegas is in order?  Seriously, sorry to hear you're hurting so much.  Hope the massage and chiro help in the long run even if it isn't helping right now and that you feel better SOON.  That ongoing pain stuff crap sucks, especially when it affects every dang thing you do.  Try to take it easy this weekend and make Tony wait on you hand and foot.  

2014-04-04 5:40 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

April 5-6

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back

Jonathan and Ernesto, hope Galveston goes well.  Don't drink the water (at least while you're swimming)!

Kate, have a fun 10 miles.  I'm sure you'll be awesome.

DLers, please feel better soon.

And as for the rest of you fabulous manatees, have a wonderful weekend!

m

2014-04-04 8:26 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Racing Manatees!

April 5-6

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back

GOOOOO RACING MANATEES!!

Hope the Manatees on the disabled list feel better soon.

2014-04-04 8:28 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

happy weekend manatees!

Yuck.  I got to start my week early, too, because E was sick.  I think she gave it to me.  Good thing she shares?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63095 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 27070 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 15944 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98384 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.