General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training (weekend long ride/run) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-03 10:10 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: IM training (weekend long ride/run)
Just wondering if any of you who have trained for an IM ever did your long run on saturday and long bike on sunday? I have always done the bike saturday and run sunday and I know that is probably ideal but if something came up and you had to swap those around, would you do it? Is there any serious problem with doing it that way? Bike is 115 mi and run is 18 mi

2014-04-03 10:30 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Subject: RE: IM training (weekend long ride/run)
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Just wondering if any of you who have trained for an IM ever did your long run on saturday and long bike on sunday? I have always done the bike saturday and run sunday and I know that is probably ideal but if something came up and you had to swap those around, would you do it? Is there any serious problem with doing it that way? Bike is 115 mi and run is 18 mi

I trained with Fink's plan for my last IM. He also calls for a long bike on Saturday and long run on Sunday. During the last 12 weeks of the plan,I swapped the two workouts because it was easier on my family that way. Triathlon isn't my job, so it gets scheduled around the rest of my life. Everything worked fine with the switch and I had a great race.

Some will even do their long run in the middle of the week with a long bike on the weekend. This allows for a little more recovery between lengthy workouts. Plus, it's a lot easier to fit a 2-hour run into the schedule than move a 5+ hour bike ride.
2014-04-03 11:10 AM

User image

Miami
I am training for my first IM and I also do my long bike ride on Saturday, since it is when it fits better my schedule. My long run (usually around 2h), although I mostly do it on Sundays, I do it during the week sometimes.

I will be following this thread to see if I should swap them though...
2014-04-03 11:13 AM

User image

over a barrier
I prefer to separate my key workouts by 48yrs. I would (and do) my long run during the week and ride on the weekends...
2014-04-03 11:28 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Extreme Veteran
long run on Friday, rest day Saturday, long ride on Sunday (last year as prep for IMMT and this year for Full Rev Cedar Point). Works well for me.
2014-04-03 12:05 PM

User image

New user
penticton
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Long ride and long run are 2 very key workout for ironman. To do them back to back on weekend IS FAR FROM IDEAL. I know and understand it s the reality of many time restricted age group athlete.

That said, i will recommend a million time that you split them apart if time allow. Do the long run mid week. Make it a double run day if you have 2. But i m simply not a fan of putting 2 big key session next to another like that. it s not a optimal way to go about it. But if you dont have the time during the week, i guess you are left with no other options

2014-04-03 1:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by jonnyo
Originally posted by mchadcota2 Just wondering if any of you who have trained for an IM ever did your long run on saturday and long bike on sunday? I have always done the bike saturday and run sunday and I know that is probably ideal but if something came up and you had to swap those around, would you do it? Is there any serious problem with doing it that way? Bike is 115 mi and run is 18 mi
Long ride and long run are 2 very key workout for ironman. To do them back to back on weekend IS FAR FROM IDEAL. I know and understand it s the reality of many time restricted age group athlete. That said, i will recommend a million time that you split them apart if time allow. Do the long run mid week. Make it a double run day if you have 2. But i m simply not a fan of putting 2 big key session next to another like that. it s not a optimal way to go about it. But if you dont have the time during the week, i guess you are left with no other options

I 100% agree with Jonny about separating the two long workouts.  If you have to do the long run on the weekend then I would strongly recommend running on Sat and biking on Sun.

I'm also not a big believer in the long run.  I think it's the single most overrated workout in long distance tri training.  I didn't run more than 10-11 miles for my longest run in training last year and I PR'd my 70.3 run and PR'd my Ironman run twice.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-04-03 1:05 PM
2014-04-03 1:10 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Echo the last couple posts.  Most of the time, those two workouts should be seperated by days, if possible.  If not, then running the first day and biking the second is going to be a better combo for most.

2014-04-03 1:27 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Originally posted by running2far I prefer to separate my key workouts by 48yrs. I would (and do) my long run during the week and ride on the weekends...

Wow...how old are you?  

I actually don't mind doing my long bike and long run on Saturday and Sunday.  The workouts are usually seperated by 20ish hours which is more rest than I get between any other workout during the week.  I'm pretty much doing doubles (morning and afternoon) Monday-Friday.  There have been a lot of times where I actually felt that my long run was the best workout of my week because I don't do a Saturday evening workout and Saturday afternoon usually allows me to get in a nap.

Of course, I don't have kids...so my Saturday afternoon of relaxing after a long bike may not be the same as someone with two or three kids.  

2014-04-03 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Personally I avoid the long run prior to a long bike...because I just don't tolerate the run as well as the bike.

So to have the back-to-back "long" days, I recover ok from the bike to do the long run the next day (or so it seems)...however, I (personally) would avoid the reverse.

if you do well with your run recovery, then the reverse might work ok for you.
2014-04-03 5:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I do my long run on Saturday and long ride on Sunday. The reason that I do it this way is that my running club meets for long runs at 7:00 Saturday morning. So far it has not bothered me at all.

A few weeks ago I ran 20 miles (too far this early in training but I was pacing a friend who is training for an April marathon) on Saturday and rode 50 miles on Sunday with no problem. Oddly enough, both the 20 mile run and 50 mile ride took about 2:56.

Edited by rick4657 2014-04-03 5:32 PM

2014-04-03 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Once the bike rides got really long (say 5hr+) it worked out best, for me, to do the long bike on Fridays and the long run on Sundays. On those days, I would take the morning off from work and would start off on the trainer in the early AM. I'd get in say 3-4hrs before the sun came up, then ride into work taking a route that would take up whatever remaining time I needed to ride. I could easily get in the equivalent of a century+ ride AND a brick run in after and still make it to work for the last 1/2 of the day.

That left me all day Saturday and most of Sunday to hang out with the family. Of course this only works if you have flexibility in your job, but if you do, I found it better than tanking an entire weekend working out.
2014-04-04 6:32 AM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Schedule only allowed me to do the long workouts on the weekend. I would look at the weather forecast on Friday and whichever day (Sat or Sun) had the best weather that was my long bike day. By default the other day was the long run. I hate to bike in the rain so that was the reason for this strategy. So over the course of the 24 week plan I had a variation of run or bike first followed by the other the next day. It worked fine for me. I couldn't tell the difference in feel or performance week to week.
2014-04-04 7:49 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by running2far I prefer to separate my key workouts by 48yrs. I would (and do) my long run during the week and ride on the weekends...

Wow...how old are you?  

I actually don't mind doing my long bike and long run on Saturday and Sunday.  The workouts are usually seperated by 20ish hours which is more rest than I get between any other workout during the week.  I'm pretty much doing doubles (morning and afternoon) Monday-Friday.  There have been a lot of times where I actually felt that my long run was the best workout of my week because I don't do a Saturday evening workout and Saturday afternoon usually allows me to get in a nap.

Of course, I don't have kids...so my Saturday afternoon of relaxing after a long bike may not be the same as someone with two or three kids.  

There's no relaxing or lounging when you have multiple children (I have 4). It's a completely different ballgame.
2014-04-13 2:25 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Canyon, Texas
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by jonnyo
Originally posted by mchadcota2 Just wondering if any of you who have trained for an IM ever did your long run on saturday and long bike on sunday? I have always done the bike saturday and run sunday and I know that is probably ideal but if something came up and you had to swap those around, would you do it? Is there any serious problem with doing it that way? Bike is 115 mi and run is 18 mi
Long ride and long run are 2 very key workout for ironman. To do them back to back on weekend IS FAR FROM IDEAL. I know and understand it s the reality of many time restricted age group athlete. That said, i will recommend a million time that you split them apart if time allow. Do the long run mid week. Make it a double run day if you have 2. But i m simply not a fan of putting 2 big key session next to another like that. it s not a optimal way to go about it. But if you dont have the time during the week, i guess you are left with no other options

I 100% agree with Jonny about separating the two long workouts.  If you have to do the long run on the weekend then I would strongly recommend running on Sat and biking on Sun.

I'm also not a big believer in the long run.  I think it's the single most overrated workout in long distance tri training.  I didn't run more than 10-11 miles for my longest run in training last year and I PR'd my 70.3 run and PR'd my Ironman run twice.

I completely agree, long runs are overrated. I blasted my old PR in my last marathon and I reduced my long training runs by 5 miles. Coincidently, I started ramping up my long rides at the same time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training (weekend long ride/run) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ditch long ride/run for IM?

Started by JM2
Views: 1350 Posts: 9

2012-09-16 4:58 PM metafizx

No long runs for IM training?

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 1261 Posts: 10

2012-07-10 7:53 PM blue_dooey

No long runs for IM training?

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 2053 Posts: 18

2012-07-12 7:14 AM brigby1

Long Runs and Rides Saved For The Weekend? Pages: 1 2

Started by ENP
Views: 2260 Posts: 26

2009-10-19 6:11 AM disturbed275

Long run and Long bike same weekend?

Started by wfricks
Views: 1811 Posts: 19

2009-09-03 1:30 PM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 26, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming with no pool, IM long bike and run scheduling, the importance of base, finding motivation, Zoot shoes and running gait analysis.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : May 30, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on weightloss, 'Diets' for athletes, eating before a long ride or run, the right sugars for training and iron supplements.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle