Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: scott319

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Inconvenient "convenience" fees

Yeah, those hidden fees bug me a bit too. Of course, I keep paying them, but I really like how the Tour de Bloom laid it all out this year.

From http://www.tourdebloom.com/registration.html

Cost: $80 registration fee for the Ominum or $30 per each individual event plus WA state sales tax. Junior Ominum $50 registration fee or $20 per each individual event please WA state sales tax.  USA Cycling license required to race. One day license for category 5 men and 4 women is $10 and available at the race. All other categories must have an USA Cycling annual license ($60) which can be purchased at www.usacycling.org (not for sale at the race).   

Then on the link to register: https://www.usacycling.org/register/2014-1195 It clearly states if your race cost $86.40.

2014-04-24 7:17 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Expert
I understand that there is a cost associated with it, build that into the price of the event. I hate when I find out that a race costs me another $10-20 as I am checking out. While $10 may not seem like a ton of money, when you register for 10-15 races it adds up quickly. If you were not budgeted for that it could mean cancelling an event you had planned to do. On top of that I am using student loans right now to survive so every thing is compounding interest.
2014-04-25 10:54 AM
in reply to: ajusf16

Veteran
Originally posted by ajusf16

I understand that there is a cost associated with it, build that into the price of the event. I hate when I find out that a race costs me another $10-20 as I am checking out. While $10 may not seem like a ton of money, when you register for 10-15 races it adds up quickly. If you were not budgeted for that it could mean cancelling an event you had planned to do. On top of that I am using student loans right now to survive so every thing is compounding interest.

Yes, that's just it. I'm not upset about the extra fee, though I prefer not to pay it and will register on paper, given the choice, if it saves me the fee. But I do mind, terribly, when the extra is sprung on me at the last minute - after I've done all the online entry for registration, and go to check out.

Just tell me on the race website "There is an additional fee of $XX for online registration." Surely race organizers must know what their partners charge (or they really should - it is potentially affective of race participants). They know, for example, about the one-day USAT fees, and put that on the site. So why hide this additional registration fee?

I chose not to register for the event that set me on this topic, because of the hidden fee, which I think I probably would have accepted if it was told to me in advance.

To you race organizers, of course I am not wanting you to eat the cost of online registration. I respect what you are doing,and understand your need to recover costs (at least.) I just want you to be honest and upfront with me about my costs, if you want me to participate in your race.

Scott
2014-04-25 11:27 AM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ajusf16 I understand that there is a cost associated with it, build that into the price of the event. I hate when I find out that a race costs me another $10-20 as I am checking out. While $10 may not seem like a ton of money, when you register for 10-15 races it adds up quickly. If you were not budgeted for that it could mean cancelling an event you had planned to do. On top of that I am using student loans right now to survive so every thing is compounding interest.

i'm not sure why we are supposed to feel bad because you are going into debt for triathlons??  that is your choice.  no different than people using credit cards to pay for it.

2014-04-25 11:54 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Spirit Airlines must make some of you just lose your minds...

2014-04-25 1:35 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by ajusf16 I understand that there is a cost associated with it, build that into the price of the event. I hate when I find out that a race costs me another $10-20 as I am checking out. While $10 may not seem like a ton of money, when you register for 10-15 races it adds up quickly. If you were not budgeted for that it could mean cancelling an event you had planned to do. On top of that I am using student loans right now to survive so every thing is compounding interest.

i'm not sure why we are supposed to feel bad because you are going into debt for triathlons??  that is your choice.  no different than people using credit cards to pay for it.

Pffft.....says the girl who's signature lines are about money.

2014-04-25 1:46 PM
in reply to: scott319

User image

If your problem is the last minute tack on (and really, you spent what 4 minutes filling in your name and address, and then finding out about the fee is so onerous????) then by definition, after today, you can no longer be disappointed as you should assume that every single online reg will come iwth a fee, so you can no longer be surpirsed by it. 

that was easy

Next?

2014-04-25 1:49 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by bradleyd3
Originally posted by mehaner

Pffft.....says the girl who's signature lines are about money.

ha...they are...but i'm not complaining about the fees either!

2014-04-25 1:51 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChrisM

If your problem is the last minute tack on (and really, you spent what 4 minutes filling in your name and address, and then finding out about the fee is so onerous????) then by definition, after today, you can no longer be disappointed as you should assume that every single online reg will come iwth a fee, so you can no longer be surpirsed by it. 

that was easy

Next?

Haha!

And when there isn't a fee, it'll feel like finding $10 in your pocket!

2014-04-25 1:59 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by ChrisM

that was easy

Next?

Haha!

And when there isn't a fee, it'll feel like finding $10 in your pocket!

ever the optimist! 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Inconvenient "convenience" fees Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Gym Initiation Fees ...

Started by mr2tony
Views: 12970 Posts: 20

2008-01-17 6:22 PM magik611

Paying a premiunm for convenience

Started by csharp1171
Views: 833 Posts: 17