Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-04 10:56 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Running more than 20mpw?
I exercise because I feel better when I work out on a regular basis than when I do not. I have been running on average of 30 mpw for the past seven years, so I guess that I am doomed.

How does this study compare to non runners that sit on the couch with a beer and a cigarette watching the TV?

2014-04-04 10:59 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by Left Brain

I have never once exercised with the idea that it would make me live longer.  I exercise to live better.

That's pretty much what I was getting ready to say. My goal is to keep moving under my own power and not be in a scooter.

I life ended at 50 full of activity and adventure is better then a life at 80 filled with moderation and a sense of unfullfilment

Moderation bores me
2014-04-04 11:56 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Originally posted by zedzded

I think for me, the global warming crisis has resulted in destroying any credibility, the phrase "Scientific Study" ever had. I used to hear the phrase get bandied around and perhaps naively I would assume as it was a scientific study, that equated to fact... I've read completely contrasting and contradictory articles written by highly educated and experienced scientists who studied the same courses at the same universities - the difference being who they worked for and what their employers agenda was. So now when I see an article that mentions "Scientific Study" I flip the page or close the browser. So sorry TURIN2, didn't get past the 2nd line

^^^^ Couldn't agree more .. especially since the link to the article is from a completely unbiased and reputable "news" organization (loud laughter here) like CNN.

I pretty much assume that all of these "Scientific Studies" start with a conclusion, and then work the data to support it ...
2014-04-04 3:07 PM
in reply to: Turnin2

User image

The study authors analyzed data from more than 3,800 men and women older than 35 who are participating in the Masters Running Study. 

Researchers saw a U-shaped data set when they looked at longevity compared with the runners' mileage. Those who ran a moderate amount each week tended to live the longest.

Ok...so can somebody fill me in here?  Was this study from like the 1960's...and only now did all the 3800 people in the study finally die?  Because this seems to be a recent study...but at the same time, how do you know what a person's life longevity is until you actually record their date of death?

2014-04-04 3:12 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

The study authors analyzed data from more than 3,800 men and women older than 35 who are participating in the Masters Running Study. 

Researchers saw a U-shaped data set when they looked at longevity compared with the runners' mileage. Those who ran a moderate amount each week tended to live the longest.

Ok...so can somebody fill me in here?  Was this study from like the 1960's...and only now did all the 3800 people in the study finally die?  Because this seems to be a recent study...but at the same time, how do you know what a person's life longevity is until you actually record their date of death?

Dude......it's science.

2014-04-04 3:15 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Dude......it's science.

Perhaps they used a scientific calculator?

2014-04-04 7:48 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Who the heck does this stuff to liver longer? I train b/c currently this is the sport in which I wish to compete. If I was just "exercising" I sure would not be doing all this swimming, biking & running.
2014-04-04 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Heck, I could run 50 miles a week and that's not what's gonna get me. I will most likely get creamed on my bike by some moron texting while driving. I have been doing more of my interval work on the trainer, but riding outside here in So Cal is where it's at! Canyon tomorrow, here we come!
2014-04-04 8:19 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Yes, the article referenced in the CNN article is a recent article, published April of this year. I do not know the years in which data were collected. However, this article did not examine if individuals who ran 20 MPW or more were more likely to live longer than nonrunners. The article referenced in the CNN pieced examined if certain risks of having a cardiac event varied between individuals who ran more than 20 MPW and those who ran less than 20 MPW. And the answer is, no. There was no variability in prevalence of these risk factors between the groups.

Matt
2014-04-05 12:08 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Thanks for posting that.
Alex Hutchinson does a really job of explaining why earlier interpretations of the original research articles were flawed.

One thing is there was never really a "scientific study." The data analyzed was from a self-reported online survey.

The benefits of regular exercise are well known.
Alex said something that is what I immediately thought when I saw these recent sensationalized headlines:

"No matter what pace you're running, there's no way you'll be maxing out of the health benefits ... on just 20 miles per week."
2014-04-05 12:36 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by b2run 95% of all statistics are misleading.

I think your statistic is misleading us.

Only 95% of the time.

2014-04-05 12:52 PM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by zedzded

I think for me, the global warming crisis has resulted in destroying any credibility, the phrase "Scientific Study" ever had. I used to hear the phrase get bandied around and perhaps naively I would assume as it was a scientific study, that equated to fact... I've read completely contrasting and contradictory articles written by highly educated and experienced scientists who studied the same courses at the same universities - the difference being who they worked for and what their employers agenda was. So now when I see an article that mentions "Scientific Study" I flip the page or close the browser. So sorry TURIN2, didn't get past the 2nd line

I am guessing you are not too well educated in how research is done. Yes many scientific studies are sponsored by certain companies (see chocolate milk and the dairy industry) but plenty of research is done independently. You must be able to look at this and then make judgement from where the research is coming from. If it is not an independent study then obviously you will find a conclusion that is drawn to who is promoting the research. Furthermore, one study does not prove anything, you have to look at scientific studies just like a puzzle, each study has it's place in the puzzle, but nothing can be completed until all the pieces are put together.

From a triathlon perspective I will assume you do not listen to any exercise physiologists or coaches who base their methodologies on any research by exercise physiologists, because the large majority of that comes from what the research and science says.

Also CNN, or any other major news carrier is not the place to really look at these studies, I will suggest PubMed is a good place to start.
2014-04-05 2:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by Turnin2

Suprised no one else has posted this for discussion.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2014/04/03/running-more-may-not-help-...

Per the study, more than 20mpw is the same as no exercise at all.

I don't see how you can come to that conclusion. In every category, the runners who did more than 20 mpw did better than the non-runners. On what do you draw the conclusion that it is the same as no exercise at all?
2014-04-05 4:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
South Florida
Originally posted by b2run

I don't see how you can come to that conclusion. In every category, the runners who did more than 20 mpw did better than the non-runners. On what do you draw the conclusion that it is the same as no exercise at all?

Second paragraph of the article.

"Research presented this week at the annual American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions in Washington shows runners who average more than 20 miles a week don't live as long as those who run less than 20 miles a week. In fact, they live, on average, about as long as people who don't run much at all."

I'm not on either side of this, I only presented it for discussion. I run more than 20mpw and am certainly not going to change because of this study.

Edited by Turnin2 2014-04-05 4:35 PM
2014-04-05 5:00 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by TriMyBest

This just in:  Living resulted in death in 100% of subjects studied.

No, in fact, more than 50% of all humans to ever have lived are still alive.
2014-04-05 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4976322

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
2 minutes on the internet tells me that there are 7billion ish people alive right now and that the best estimates of human population throughout history put the grand total around 108billion. Pretty sure that doesn't work out to 50%...

2014-04-05 8:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by b2run

Second paragraph of the article.

"Research presented this week at the annual American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions in Washington shows runners who average more than 20 miles a week don't live as long as those who run less than 20 miles a week. In fact, they live, on average, about as long as people who don't run much at all."

I'm not on either side of this, I only presented it for discussion. I run more than 20mpw and am certainly not going to change because of this study.

The article you are referring to is someone's interpretation of the paper. The paper evaluated people who were all living so how did they figure out that they lived just as long? I find that it's better to look at the article rather than someone who is trying to tell you what it means. The numbers on the table in the actual abstract show that the people who ran more than 20 mpw did better in all categories stated there. ie: heart disease, etc.
2014-04-06 6:40 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by erik.norgaard
Originally posted by TriMyBest

This just in:  Living resulted in death in 100% of subjects studied.

No, in fact, more than 50% of all humans to ever have lived are still alive.

Just wait longer.  

2014-04-06 1:26 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

I have been wracked with guilt that I am only averaging about 16 mpw this past winter (though my swim distance is up to 10,000 M; did they take that into account in the study?)!. I think I'll bump my running up to 19.8 mpw - but no further. Don't want to get risky. These "studies" are pretty useless, if you ask me. We are all unique. I needed heart surgery at 53 for a bad mitral valve - that I was born with - but my arteries are whistle clean. Other friends have had multiple bypass surgeries in their 50s. Both get classified as "cardiac issues" but could not be more dissimilar (other than we got to enjoy the atmosphere of the same cardiac ICU after surgery). I am less interested in longevity of this earthly life, and a little more interested in knowing that I have an eternal one after this that will be incomparably better. I hope we get to run in heaven, too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running more than 20mpw? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Run Volume - Time Ran vs Distance Ran

Started by wushunut
Views: 1915 Posts: 21

2011-06-22 7:53 PM morey000

Run Volume - Time Ran vs Distance Ran

Started by wushunut
Views: 647 Posts: 1

2011-06-22 1:41 PM wushunut

running: more short runs or less long runs?

Started by zionvier
Views: 7623 Posts: 13

2009-09-18 8:03 PM monkeyboy64

just keep running, running, running

Started by autumn
Views: 976 Posts: 2

2004-08-23 5:00 PM madcow

Running form, the Pose Running method (Learn To RunTM )

Started by DRM
Views: 1659 Posts: 8

2004-04-09 7:29 PM meanman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation