General Discussion Race Reports! » Himalayan Rush Triathlon - Standard Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Himalayan Rush Triathlon - Standard Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pokhara,
Nepal
Himalayan Rush Triathlon
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 14s
Overall Rank = 3/23
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to the event from Pokhara. It was maybe 30 or so minutes. Pretty easy to set up everything because there were only about 25 people in the standard race.
Event warmup:

I swam for a few minutes. It was amazing swimming under the himalayas--gorgeous.
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was crazy. I was expecting to take the lead in the swim, but the race had a few South Asian Elite triathletes and they were gunning for it. So I started in the middle and it got very crowded. I held my breath for about 8 strokes to get out to the front but that did not work. It took a couple of minutes to regain my breath. Then I found some feet and dragged almost the whole way. It was a good thing because that start really took it out of me. I also didn't swim with a wetsuit. It was wetsuit legal for amateurs (not for elites) so I could have, I just never received the wetsuit I ordered (damn you Xterra!)
What would you do differently?:

I should have started towards the side. Then I could have just waited for a few swimmers to emerge from the mess and then get on their feet. I usually swim about 1:35/100 m so I thought that would be the front pack for this triathlon. It would have been if we didn't start with the elites.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

It was fine. I didn't have any clipless pedals so it was fairly easy to do a quick transition.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 52m
  • 24.9 miles
  • 13.34 mile/hr
Comments:

This was definitely the slowest part of my race. There was no way I was biking up the whole hill so each time I had to walk it. And each lap I had to stop earlier in the hill to get out and walk. At least I was holding back because I knew I needed to keep the run in mind.

I have to get stronger on the bike. Maybe squats? It's hard to work on hills when you live in one of the flattest countries in the world. Also, I didn't have clip in pedals so that was a disadvantage.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Decent

Nothing.
Run
  • 48m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. The hill got so rough that I could barely keep from walking. But I kept from walking and that served me really well. The 4th place guy was sneaking up on me so when I saw him on the turn around, I was able to fly down the hill and fend him off. I went 27 minutes for the first half (up the hill) and 21 for the second half (back down the hill).

Not much. I'm pretty happy with that run.
Post race
Warm down:

Almost fell over. I was dehydrated. There was one water station at 2.5 km and one at 5 km and it was hot. It would have been better to have a camel back for the bike portion.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike training and hydration.

Event comments:

This was in the himalayas so it was gorgeous. You swim under the mountains and then you see the mountains 4 times on the bike (for a about 5 minutes on the loop). The only thing is that they could have improved the water stations--it was hot and they could have used a water station in the transition area.

Last updated: 2014-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:00 | 1500 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 1/23
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Up to a boat and back. There was no way this was actually 1500 meters. I'm guessing at least 1700.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:52:00 | 24.9 miles | 13.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 12/23
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops. Each loop has a about a half mile bit straight up (seems like 15 degree or so). I think most everyone had to walk at least some of the hill (it was pretty bad). The downhill part was fun though.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:00 | 06.2 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 3/23
Course: This was a down and back. I think the hill started around 1 KM in the run. I also think this run was closer to 5 miles. No way I ran that fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-05 6:29 AM

Subject: Himalayan Rush Triathlon - Standard Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Himalayan Rush Triathlon - Standard Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Double Oak Duathlon - Standard Distance

Started by jmcconne
Views: 829 Posts: 1

2013-04-19 11:08 AM jmcconne

Double Oak Duathlon - Standard Distance

Started by colinphillips
Views: 1261 Posts: 9

2013-04-19 4:12 PM Asalzwed

MiaoLi (Taiwan) Sprint and Standard (Olympic) distances

Started by jtdintaipei
Views: 1131 Posts: 1

2011-04-09 9:57 AM jtdintaipei

Gold Rush Gold Rush

Started by kwinkle
Views: 729 Posts: 1

2010-07-19 11:08 AM kwinkle

MiaoLi (Taiwan) Sprint and Standard (Olympic) distances

Started by jtdintaipei
Views: 1288 Posts: 1

2010-04-13 11:20 AM jtdintaipei
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.