General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retul Bike Fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-06 1:12 PM

Subject: Retul Bike Fit
I purchased my tri bike at a shop that mostly deals in road bikes and they got me rolling...but after a few months my fit is not comfortable. I can always go back for an adjustment free of charge but I have read about the Retul and was curious. Have any of you tried the Retul or other computerized bike fit machines? If so do you believe it was worth it?
Thanks, John

2014-04-06 3:37 PM
in reply to: jcam1971

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Retul Bike Fit
I would suggest that you focus less on the technology used for fitting and more on finding an experienced tri fitter. There are many good tools and fit processes, Retul being one of them. However, if the fitter is not familiar with how to use these tools to find an optimum fit for you, it really isn't going to matter.

I went through a fitting a few weeks ago. In this case, it was an EXiT fit. The fit bike allowed for small adjustments in every area of the bike without requiring that I dismount first. They had cameras set up so that I could see how adjustments impacted my posture both in profile and head-on.. But, what drew me to the fitter was their local reputation for quality work. In the end, it was TOTALLY worth the expense. I got a good education and a fit profile that I can bring into any shop and have a bike configured to my exact specifications.

At the end of the day, if I'm going to hire a carpenter, I want to be assured that they know what they're doing. I don't really care what kind of hammers they use. The same goes for a bike fitter.

2014-04-06 6:55 PM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I got a Retul fit and it was well worth it. But it was done by an experienced fitter that became a certified Retul fitter. Just like anything else, you can find different levels of experience. Since the Retul fit records you pedal stroke it brings out a few things that other types of fits don't. It worked for me and many other triathletes that go the the same fitter.
2014-04-08 10:35 AM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Veteran
I second you Farlig.

As a fitter, I've realized the whole process is about building a long term relationship. Very rarely is a fit "golden" after the first major adjustment. Your body is going to change and the demands will change but you want someone that will help you adapt and listen.

ALSO - you want someone you are confident in. Leave doubt out the window when fitting. Make sure you give your body the opportunity to adjust, change their "habits" and then adjust.

RETUL is a guide to help a fitter find a normal position based on alignment and angles. It will get you close and then its the fitter's job to listen and adjust from there.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

Originally posted by Farlig

I would suggest that you focus less on the technology used for fitting and more on finding an experienced tri fitter. There are many good tools and fit processes, Retul being one of them. However, if the fitter is not familiar with how to use these tools to find an optimum fit for you, it really isn't going to matter.

I went through a fitting a few weeks ago. In this case, it was an EXiT fit. The fit bike allowed for small adjustments in every area of the bike without requiring that I dismount first. They had cameras set up so that I could see how adjustments impacted my posture both in profile and head-on.. But, what drew me to the fitter was their local reputation for quality work. In the end, it was TOTALLY worth the expense. I got a good education and a fit profile that I can bring into any shop and have a bike configured to my exact specifications.

At the end of the day, if I'm going to hire a carpenter, I want to be assured that they know what they're doing. I don't really care what kind of hammers they use. The same goes for a bike fitter.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retul Bike Fit Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike Fit vs. Road Bike

Started by Maniton
Views: 1109 Posts: 2

2012-05-07 6:09 AM audiojan

Bike fit, can multiple bikes work?

Started by gdaxton
Views: 950 Posts: 3

2011-08-03 4:50 PM briderdt

Road bike/tri bike fit question

Started by Timmeh!
Views: 1074 Posts: 4

2008-12-05 9:32 PM KathyG

Fitting a road bike like a tri bike?

Started by chosenprovidence
Views: 1210 Posts: 6

2008-09-01 7:14 PM slusser

Bike Frame Size versus Bike Fit

Started by Jak
Views: 697 Posts: 3

2006-06-10 5:24 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : March 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Our regular USAT coach chat with lots of tips including discussions on Computrainers, bike fitting and position, triathlon and marathon training, Tim DeBoom lunges and nutrition.

date : February 12, 2007
author : Rich Strauss
Pay attention to details! Little things like body composition, bike fit, powermeter use and swim technique become big on the Varsity Team