General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peachtree City International/Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-06 4:05 PM

Subject: Peachtree City International/Super Sprint
Based on this release (Below) from Peachtree City 6 weeks before the May 17 race day, I can't believe they will have the lake filled before the race. I'm signed up for this to be my first International distance race and was really looking forward to doing a local race as my first foray into that distance. I've contacted the race director for information but not heard anything yet (just emailed yesterday so I'm not worried about that). That's also the same day as the Jekyll race and I'd like to go there if PTC doesn't happen. What do you guys think will happen here? I'd like to get my money back or transfer to next year's race if they don't have the swim portion since there is so much time between when the problems appeared and the race. I just don't want to lose my money on a race registration that doesn't end up being the race that I signed up for. I'd understand if it was a weather related swim cancellation (like last year) because that's a last minute issue but with six weeks notice I'd think there would be a little more flexibility. What do you think?

http://peachtree-city.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=806

2014-04-07 12:30 PM
in reply to: Allen_Leonard

Subject: RE: Peachtree City International/Super Sprint
Water is going to be cold.
2014-04-08 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4977371

Cold I can do, a dry lake is what I'm worried about. Race director emailed me back and told me they are finalizing contingency plans and will since those next week. Just hope to have the full event.
2014-04-08 8:49 AM

Please post what you hear. I want to do this one as my first race of the season but am not interested if it is just bike and run. Not really feeling the Olympic distance just yet as I'll save that distance for peak form in the summer and early fall.
2014-04-09 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4978310

User image

Veteran
Wow this sucks. Hopefully it's fixed in time. Wetsuit, no biggie. But a 2years du streak, boo!
2014-04-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: franktheguard

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hot off the presses announcement from Kim Bramblett for those that haven't seen it:

Last week, we were informed that Lake Peachtree will be undergoing some unforeseen repairs to the dam. As we are unsure how long these repairs will take and if there would be enough water for our race, we have come up with a contingency plan. This plan has now been approved by Peachtree City and the State.

The 2014 Peachtree International and SuperSprint Triathlon will be held at Lake McIntosh in Peachtree City. Lake McIntosh is a new 650 acre lake and we have been approved for use on May 17th. Please do not practice in the lake as it is not approved for every day swimming. http://www.peachtree-city.org/index.aspx?NID=869Lake McIntosh is off of TDK Boulevard in Peachtree City, approximately 3 miles away from Drake Field.

The modified bike course is being finalized as we speak and will be on the website soon. There will be only minor changes to the bike course. If you practice out of Drake Field, you will be on 90% of the course.

There will be an entirely new run course.

These changes will be made available on the tri4gold.org and tri-ptc.com websites as soon as they are approved.

Due to the new race site, registration will be limited. If you have been waiting to see the outcome of the lake issue, please know that we WILL have a swim, bike and run course! Now is the time to register as we will only allow 200 more athletes in this event.

Finally, we want to THANK everyone for their patience and loyalty to our races! We know you have been reading the Peachtree City emails and have viewed our lake being drained and really appreciate you sticking with us during this time of uncertainty. We love this City and are excited to be able to share it with you again this year!

Registration is now OPEN for the May 17th Peachtree International and Supersprint events:

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=2122375

Finishers medals for all athletes, gender specific shirts, great awards and all within 20 minutes from Atlanta!

Race details can be found at www.tri4gold.org. Updates and information can also be found on the Peachtree International Facebook page! Please "like" us for the latest updated information.

See you all there!

2014-04-16 10:53 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Awesome. Thanks for the update. I'll register now as I have been one who has been waiting it out.
2014-04-16 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4979011

I just saw the email from Kim. That really will be a great solution since Lake McIntosh is so close to the original bike course. Crossing over GA 74 on the bike will be a challenge for police unless they try to use the cart path tunnel underneath (I hope not). I'm looking forward to seeing how they route the run course. Knowing the area, I'd bet it will be a good bit hillier than the original course. Looking forward to the race and swimming in Fayette County's newest Lake.
2014-04-16 4:24 PM

Any idea what to expect for water temps? I know it is all weather dependent but just trying to figure out if I need a wetsuit or not. I'm only doing the super sprint, however
2014-04-25 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4982521

You'll want a wetsuit. That lake is much deeper than lake Peachtree so it will not have warmed up much by that point.
2014-04-25 2:34 PM

I'm only doing the super sprint and would rather not have to get a wetsuit for only 300 yards but I would probably rather not freeze as well.

2014-05-15 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4986815

Paving project started Tuesday on Ebenezer Church Road on the notorious hill (not be early as hard as it seems during a ride) of the bike portion. Be careful as you go through there. The downhill should be pretty smooth, the uphill may be a little trickier. Hope to see everyone there.
2014-05-16 8:28 AM

Thanks for the info, Allen. It is going to be really cool tomorrow morning. Went for a quick ride this am and it was not enjoyable in my normal tri kit. Might need to look at gloves for the bike at a minimum.
2014-05-16 8:33 AM
in reply to: tb1000

Roswell
Not enjoying this late cold snap. I'm going to pack gloves, a vest and sleeves for the bike, just in case.
2014-05-16 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4996614

The temperatures on the bike will be a challenge. I'm thinking a windbreaker that I can put on in t1and take off in t2. I hate wasting the time but I also don't want to freeze on the bike segment. I wish I had a full zip something I can use but I'll make due with what I have.
2014-05-17 12:49 PM

This race was really snake bit from the start. Kim (race Director) and the rest of PTC tri club did a great job putting it on but they were constantly fighting to overcome obstacles they had no control over. First the change of venue 6 weeks out, then a cold snap that caused a fog over the lake and trouble for sighting (at least for me), finally a train came through during the race and a number of people had to pause their bike legs to wait on the train. I had a great race for my first international, got third in my age group and had a great time. Hats off to Kim and the rest for getting this thing put together when the easy thing would have been to cancel the whole thing.

2014-05-19 9:21 AM

I agree, Allen, that overall they did a great job with all of the things thrown at them. My only gripe is for how long they kept the sprint participants waiting around for the awards ceremony with zero communication on timing or what was causing the long delay. My race finished before 8:45 and at 10:45 I finally made the call to leave and go home. When I left it did not look like they were even within 15 minutes of getting started.

How were your feet coming off the bike? After the long wait for the race start my feet were freezing at the start and never warmed up. It was a really odd feeling while running when your feet are numb from the cold.

I did like the lake and swim exit much better and not being in a mud pit for transition, but logistically it's a tough race site with where they have to start the bike and run course and have parking all jammed along that area.

Still a great job by those running the show.
2014-05-19 10:07 AM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

Veteran
Wooooooweeeeee that was cold! I didn't get warm until sunday!

Obstacle after obstacle for Kim this year (continuing from last year if you count the torrential storms and discontinued swim ala Duathlon)
PTC and Kim did an OUTSTANDING job in mediating, rolling, and still having this GREAT race.

Fog, pfft who can sight/see in a swim anyway?!!?
Hypothermia on the bike, ok I should have worn a wetsuit, even 75 degrees is still 20 below normal body temp. Just dug a hole for myself on that one.
Transition was awesome, so much better than a mud/prickly/gravel with a curb field.
Run, Personally I love the course, although I had it a bit short. I did run the straightest lines though. I guess had you run the curves in teh 2 locations you would have the 6.2 but hey IM NOT COMPLAINING!!!

Food was spot on as usual. VOLUNTEERS were INCREDIBLE!!!!! Plenty of Kayakers on the water. There must have been 10 near the drop and tunnel section. Never felt lost on the bike. The run was great, plenty of volunteers at each station and at turns. As for the trains--c'mon who accounts for that. Sure maybe next year Kim look at schedule and decide on a different race time but the logistics to that are just likely unreal. It SUCKED for those that got caught, but it sucks if you get a flat too-caviat of the course IMO.

No complaints other than cold for me. Race location changed on short notice and socks/shirt/medals all had CURRENT race location. (That had to be fun to change/account for, great job KIM. Great swag, loved the shirts this year too!

See ya next year, I vote SAME location.
2014-05-19 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

The fog was so thick it looked like some of the paddleboarders were floating on the water because you couldn't see their boards.

Good point on the volunteers, there was no shortage of them anywhere and they did a great job.

Kim sent an email yesterday and I guess they thought they had an agreement with CSX on timing but CSX did not follow through on their end and backed down on their word.

Edited by tb1000 2014-05-19 10:54 AM
2014-05-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4977371

I was smart enough to put on a hat and quarter zip running jacket on in t1 to avoid the cold bike. That made the ride comfortable. However, I thought I had something in my shoes for the first mile or two of the run. As the sensation faded I realized it was because my feet were frozen from the ride. I don't know how the people out there in just a tri top or suit survived that ride. But, I still think they did a good job with what they could control. The time on awards was about what they advertised on the pre race email. I know they spent some time trying to figure out what, if anything, they could do with the train situation. There just wasn't a good solution for that. In the end, leaving the results as is was probably the most fair since getting the adjustments right would have been impossible. At least USAT took that decision out of Kim's hands so she didn't have to figure that problem out too.
2014-05-19 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Pics up-FAST (another feather in the kudos cap)

2014-05-19 4:50 PM
in reply to: franktheguard

I agree.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peachtree City International/Super Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Peachtree City Sprint

Started by jillian_o
Views: 2262 Posts: 21

2012-08-22 11:27 PM Gunky

ROLL CALL Peachtree City International Pages: 1 2

Started by franktheguard
Views: 3400 Posts: 38

2012-05-21 12:55 PM thecaptin

Peachtree City International

Started by matthewjt
Views: 1359 Posts: 17

2008-05-19 12:05 PM thecaptin

Anyone done the Peachtree International Tri?

Started by kuotaguy
Views: 940 Posts: 9

2007-01-11 1:19 PM autigers_1998

Tri Peachtree City Sprint

Started by am6ja4
Views: 2410 Posts: 13

2006-08-24 10:20 PM Abear2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 30, 2013
author : Ron
comments : 1
We have new 10 and 20 week training plans for the New Year! These mini sprint plans are very conservative and will get any person thinking of training for a triathlon ready to cross the finish-line.

date : October 7, 2008
author : didds
comments : 0
Cotswold super sprint - UK. Lots of bodies colliding, I swam half over someone, got kicked by some bloody breaststroker, and as a mob we poured towards the first buoy.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?