World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 45m 18s
Overall Rank = 96/1040
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/135
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:15, early morning shake with oats, blueberries, almond butter, and banana. Caught the 5:30 bus to Palmilla Beach. Stood around being nervous, as this was my first Ironman and a lot of unknowns hung in the air.
Event warmup:

The walk from the bus to the beach (about a half mile) was a good opportunity to warm up the legs before the race. Had a pre-race swim to get used to the water which felt wonderful.
Swim
  • 1h 10m 49s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was very easy and fast. A lot of pros were out of the water in under 50 minutes. I was out of the water in the time expected, but still felt like I could have gone faster as I was in the middle of the pack. Swimming is by far my weakest event. I took it very easy because I knew it would be a long day.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe be a little more aggressive on the swim. More master's swimming.
Transition 1
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

Right out of the water my calves seized up as I tried to run up the beach. Could already tell my perceived effort was very high running to the tent. Once to the tent I was very disoriented and tried to get everything out of my bag and all of my swim stuff back in the bag. Finally got out and to my bike in a little over 5 minutes.

Be faster and more aware.
Bike
  • 5h 34m 3s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.12 mile/hr
Comments:

A lot of people complained about the difficulty of the bike course given the wind, heat, and hills, but I actually really enjoyed it. I read about the previous year and trained in lots of clothing layers with lots of extra weight on the bike and over many hills. That worked out very well for me this race as I came in about how I expected and hoped for a first IM (under 6 hours).

Keep on the computrainer to develop power and endurance. Work on my saddle position or even purchase a new saddle to provide comfort on the long ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Flying dismount into transition and handoff of bike couldn't have gone smoother. Again a little disoriented in the tent, but was able to get everything on, take a pee break, and head out.

Skip the pee break and let it flow on the course. But maybe not. It would good to see that I was still hydrated.
Run
  • 3h 52m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Great start clocking off low 8 min/miles, even though I was hoping to be closer to 7:50. Felt good with the pace I had. Second lap began deteriorating and walking the aid stations, but when I was running my pace was still strong. Started feeling cramps toward the end of lap 2 and began taking in more salt. Beginning of lap 3 I was demoralized having to go out for a third lap. My stomach dropped at at around mile 19 which forced me to take a 4 minute porta potty break. The heat in there nearly caused me to pass out (which would have been a sad sight for some volunteer!). Once out of the potty I was reenergized and determined to finish strong with a sub-4 marathon. Got my pace back down to mid 8's and ran through to the finish. Throughout the third lap my math had become really poor and I was learning to live with the idea of finishing in the mid-11 hours. After I finished, I looked at the clock and saw 10:45. I asked one of the volunteers if it was accurate and in broken English he said "Is Almost". I took that to mean it was close enough. Awesome! All goals were achieved despite a tough run. It took everything I had to finish under 4 hours!

Don't know what I could have done differently to prevent the issues I had. I think I just have to realize that a marathon after a swim and a 112 mile bike is supposed to hurt and just harden up.
Post race
Warm down:

One thing I wasn't expecting post Ironman, especially after a hot one like this, was to start shivering uncontrollably. I tried to get some pizza and water in, but I was feeling nauseous and couldn't stop shaking. FInally had a massage which made me feel a bit better. To be honest, the walk back to the hotel is what really did the trick to feel much better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach cramps and strength. I think I need to work on some more strength training for the next one.

Event comments:

Great race with so-so organization. A lot of conflicting information, but still well worth the price of admission. I would gladly try this race again! My one year couch to Ironman training plan led to great success, not just in this race, but also in the quality of life. A year ago I hadn't even done a triathlon, and today I'm an Ironman. What an awesome experience!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:10:49 | 4224 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/135
Overall: 0/1040
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:34:03 | 112 miles | 20.12 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:52:57 | 26.2 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-04-07 1:01 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Los Cabos
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Los Cabos Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Los Cabos

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1066 Posts: 1

2014-04-06 5:59 PM stevepiv

Ironman Los Cabos

Started by pfomalont
Views: 1032 Posts: 1

2014-04-06 2:38 AM pfomalont

Ironman Los Cabos

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1092 Posts: 1

2013-04-22 10:22 AM matthewwise

Ironman Los Cabos

Started by FrankR
Views: 1515 Posts: 4

2013-04-04 2:40 AM FrankR

Ironman Los Cabos

Started by Fatboy32
Views: 2137 Posts: 8

2013-04-09 2:14 PM Greshe
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.