General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-04-10 2:09 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit?

Really interesting discussion to observe! Although, I dislike when someone announces a "winner" as I think there are plenty of really valid points in here, not to mention there is not really one single absolute "right" way to do any of this or everyone would be doing the same thing.

Anyway, kind of back to the original topic about Gomez ... How do you think Alan Webb is going to do in ITU? He had some pretty solid swim times back in his day and of course, that whole running thing  I just don't know much about the times out there. 

2014-04-10 2:16 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Really interesting discussion to observe! Although, I dislike when someone announces a "winner" as I think there are plenty of really valid points in here, not to mention there is not really one single absolute "right" way to do any of this or everyone would be doing the same thing.

Anyway, kind of back to the original topic about Gomez ... How do you think Alan Webb is going to do in ITU? He had some pretty solid swim times back in his day and of course, that whole running thing  I just don't know much about the times out there. 

Right now he's not that close.  He's got major work to do with his bike handling and power and he is not yet even second pack on the swim.  If he doesn't get those facets worked out I don't care if he runs a 28 minute 10K off the bike, he's not playing.  He participated in the mixed relay at Sarasota last month and was not that impressive, but a fairly nasty bike crash coming into T2 didn't help.

I have no idea if he can get up to speed, but the fact that he was a world class runner can't hurt.  Personally, I think he's too late.

2014-04-10 2:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Left Brain

Right now he's not that close.  He's got major work to do with his bike handling and power and he is not yet even second pack on the swim.  If he doesn't get those facets worked out I don't care if he runs a 28 minute 10K off the bike, he's not playing.  He participated in the mixed relay at Sarasota last month and was not that impressive, but a fairly nasty bike crash coming into T2 didn't help.

I have no idea if he can get up to speed, but the fact that he was a world class runner can't hurt.  Personally, I think he's too late.

Yeah for sure. He's a beast though ... might be able to pull it together. It should be interesting! 

That relay was a bit of a sh*t show haha

*Also, I know he was just kind of coming back but he got his rear whooped at XC nationals (brag alert) by our guy and then he totally bombed that mile at Millrose 

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-04-10 2:28 PM
2014-04-10 2:32 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

Yeah for sure. He's a beast though ... might be able to pull it together. It should be interesting! 

*Also, I know he was just kind of coming back but he got his rear whooped at XC nationals (brag alert) by our guy and then he totally bombed that mile at Millrose 

It's actually really fun to watch in person.......it's chaos.  They have done them the last 2 years at the Jr. level and the kids love it.  I know there is a push to eventually get a relay into the olympics.  It would be awesome for spectators.

2014-04-10 2:53 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

It's actually really fun to watch in person.......it's chaos.  They have done them the last 2 years at the Jr. level and the kids love it.  I know there is a push to eventually get a relay into the olympics.  It would be awesome for spectators.

Interesting concept.  The weird thing though is that you would end up with a triathlon relay full of non triathletes.  For sure entertaining...just weird I suppose.  Does Kenya have any good open water swimmers.  I suppose they've got Froome, and a laundry list of 10k runners.

2014-04-10 2:57 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Interesting concept.  The weird thing though is that you would end up with a triathlon relay full of non triathletes.  For sure entertaining...just weird I suppose.  Does Kenya have any good open water swimmers.  I suppose they've got Froome, and a laundry list of 10k runners.

NO DUDE!!  Each person on the 4 person team (2 men and 2 women) does a mini triathlon and then tags off.  It's usually something like a 300M swim, 6 mile bike, 1.5 mile run each, and it's draft legal.  The legs are SUPER fast and there is always something to watch with a small course.

2014-04-10 2:57 PM

User image

Seattle

Why do you think it would end up with non triathletes? (I believe they all do SBR within the relay)

2014-04-10 3:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

NO DUDE!!  Each person on the 4 person team (2 men and 2 women) does a mini triathlon and then tags off.  It's usually something like a 300M swim, 6 mile bike, 1.5 mile run each, and it's draft legal.  The legs are SUPER fast and there is always something to watch with a small course.

LOL...*face palm*  <---- in reference to myself.

2014-04-10 3:08 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by donw Interesting discussion. I'm going to go way off topic by actually going back on topic. The ITU Grand Final in Edmonton is a 3.5 hour drive from my home. I can't wait - this is an opportunity that I can't miss. In fact I think I'll book a hotel room soon to lock this into my calendar. it would be perfect if the overall ranking comes down to the finish like it did in 2013.

Indeed... and perhaps have a Canadian in the mix fighting for the podium as well.

I watched the replay of the ITU Auckland race last night.  Even though I knew the result ahead of time, still an exciting finish for the men.

Sarah Anne Brault just finished off the podium in fourth, but looked pretty strong overall.

2014-04-10 3:08 PM

User image

Pro

LOL...*face palm*  

HAHA!!!  I was laughing and thinking......Jason???  is that you? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Am I running my long runs too fast? Pages: 1 2

Started by Zero2Athlete
Views: 4799 Posts: 48

2013-03-02 9:42 AM slonce5

Am i fast enough? Pages: 1 2

Started by nminesinger
Views: 2681 Posts: 28

2010-06-17 2:09 AM spudone

HR Training: How can I get fast faster ? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by sachinh
Views: 3180 Posts: 59

2007-09-17 6:53 PM vortmax

Am I moving too fast??

Started by ROBIT79
Views: 901 Posts: 7

2006-04-03 2:32 PM ROBIT79

How Fast is Too Fast?

Started by RafeOsha
Views: 1285 Posts: 13

2006-03-29 8:43 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"