General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-04-08 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit?
Gomez opened his 2014 ITU campaign this weekend in Auckland, In a surprisingly "slow" run (30:46) he ran away from Jonnie Brownlee in the final 2-3k and cruised in for the win. How fast did he run? Get on the treadmill, ramp it up to 12 mph and see how long you last. Run for 30 minutes and you will still be behind Gomez. Don't forget he swam 1.5k under 18 minutes, and rode a hard 40k bike course with several 180 turns, hills, and everything else to spike the power output. Those boys are fast and this was just the season opener.

Keep in mind Gomez and/or the winners usually run under 30.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-04-08 1:44 PM

2014-04-08 1:36 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Subject: RE: How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit?

And just a few weeks ago he ran a 1:11 at Panama 70.3.   5:25 pace

2014-04-08 1:38 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Are you kiddin me?

Those guys are animals. Just beasts.

The folks, like Gomez and the Brownlees, who are at that super pointy end of triathlon are out of this world. They are very close to as fast as the single sport athletes at all three disciplines. (I know, they are not quite there but so close).

It is hard for us mortals to fathom what those guys are doing.
2014-04-08 1:40 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Pro

I'm amazed at how dominant they are.  I figured by now someone would be challenging them.......I don't see anyone coming yet.

2014-04-08 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

And it's not just the run.  Mola can run every bit as fast, but was off the podium because he couldn't swim under 18 minutes and missed the lead group of 12 or so.  That's just crazy to think that a 18' 1.5k swim (non wetsuit) killed your chances at a podium.

And don't be fooled by their bike times.  I think the lead group rode about 1:07.  But it's a 8 lap course involving three hairpins and nine 90 degree turns on each lap.  Which means a lot of braking, and a lot of spikes in power to accelerate again which leads to a much higher VI...and should hurt your run.  I think the reason you saw Gomez run over 30' was because he and Brownlee were doing the majority of the work up front on the bike to stay away from Mola.  Had their group included Mola, or their lead group was smaller (giving that group a better chance at the podium if they worked together), then you likely would have seen Gomez and Brownlee's run split be faster.  Sub 31 is still unreal though.  And again...the run  course was 4 laps...with four hairpins on each lap...which kills your speed.

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-08 1:44 PM
2014-04-08 1:46 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

And it's not just the run.  Mola can run every bit as fast, but was off the podium because he couldn't swim under 18 minutes and missed the lead group of 12 or so.  That's just crazy to think that a 18' 1.5k swim (non wetsuit) killed your chances at a podium.

And don't be fooled by their bike times.  I think the lead group rode about 1:07.  But it's a 8 lap course involving three hairpins and nine 90 degree turns on each lap.  Which means a lot of braking, and a lot of spikes in power to accelerate again which leads to a much higher VI...and should hurt your run.  I think the reason you saw Gomez run over 30' was because he and Brownlee were doing the majority of the work up front on the bike to stay away from Mola.  Had their group included Mola, or their lead group was smaller (giving that group a better chance at the podium if they worked together), then you likely would have seen Gomez and Brownlee's run split be faster.  Sub 31 is still unreal though.  And again...the run  course was 4 laps...with four hairpins on each lap...which kills your speed.

All good points I forgot to put in the discussion, it is unreal what these guys are doing. And yes Mola would've contended for the win, but :35 seconds back after the swim set him up for an 8th place finish! After coming out of the water 30, and off the bike 20th. Mola right now is the only real contender to the Brownlees and Gomez.

2014-04-08 1:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

I'm amazed at how dominant they are.  I figured by now someone would be challenging them.......I don't see anyone coming yet.

I can't wait for Chicago!
2014-04-08 1:48 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

It'll be great when these guys finally get to Kona so we can see what they are really made of.

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25

I can't wait for Chicago!

Should be a great weekend!  We're lookiing forward to it as well.

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

^^^  I made a funny.   

Seriously, I have no concept of what running that fast is like.  Totally blows my mind!  I'd love to watch one of those races live (as in at the venue) sometime.

ETA: Dammit LB, you snuck in between my double post!

Edited by axteraa 2014-04-08 1:49 PM
2014-04-08 1:52 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro

Originally posted by axteraa

^^^  I made a funny.   

Seriously, I have no concept of what running that fast is like.  Totally blows my mind!  I'd love to watch one of those races live (as in at the venue) sometime.

ETA: Dammit LB, you snuck in between my double post!

2014-04-08 2:03 PM

User image

It'll be great when these guys finally get to Kona so we can see what they are really made of.

I think we're seeing exactly what they are made of right now.  Yes, Kona is the biggest public and media stage in triathlon, but if you're interested in watching good racing, ITU is where it's at.  And it's not even close.  

I honestly think it would be a travesty if all the best triathletes in the world decided to race non draft legal long course.

My local cable provider gets NBC Sports and Universal Sports.  Can't remember which one broadcasts ITU as I have it set to auto record on DVR.  But if you don't get the channel, as mentioned above, I would highly recommend buying the online feed subscription.  

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-08 2:06 PM
2014-04-08 2:06 PM

User image

I think we're seeing exactly what they are made of right now.  Yes, Kona is the biggest public and media stage in triathlon, but if you're interested in watching good racing, ITU is where it's at.  And it's not even close.  

I honestly think it would be a travesty if all the best triathletes in the world decided to race non draft legal long course.

And the coverage is head and shoulders above any other tri coverage, including kona

2014-04-08 2:07 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Oh I agree with you completely.  LB screwed up my lame attempt at humour...

2014-04-08 2:08 PM

Elitist
2014-04-08 2:13 PM

User image

Pro

Hey....I thought it was funny.....your fat fingers aren't my fault.

2014-04-08 2:26 PM

User image

LOL...my sarcasm detector isn't working.  With the elitist, best advice, and race fee threads going on at the same time...I can't remember what's supposed to be serious and what isn't anymore.

2014-04-08 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

LoL, and I almost missed this post.
2014-04-08 3:00 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Are you kiddin me?

Those guys are animals. Just beasts.

The folks, like Gomez and the Brownlees, who are at that super pointy end of triathlon are out of this world. They are very close to as fast as the single sport athletes at all three disciplines. (I know, they are not quite there but so close).

It is hard for us mortals to fathom what those guys are doing.

Alistair Brownlee has been tapped up to run 10,000m at the Commonwealth Games. As some of his better 10k times are competitive with the field that will be there.

Which is mental.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/triathlon/20327233
2014-04-08 3:58 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by wannabefaster Are you kiddin me? Those guys are animals. Just beasts. The folks, like Gomez and the Brownlees, who are at that super pointy end of triathlon are out of this world. They are very close to as fast as the single sport athletes at all three disciplines. (I know, they are not quite there but so close). It is hard for us mortals to fathom what those guys are doing.
Alistair Brownlee has been tapped up to run 10,000m at the Commonwealth Games. As some of his better 10k times are competitive with the field that will be there. Which is mental. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/triathlon/20327233

Alistair Brownlee is really fast...but my guess is that if he entered the Commonwealth games against the very best...he may be able to hang with them for the first 5k...but when the race leaders turn on the jets...he'll get dropped like a sack of potatos.

Keep in mind that the 10k race...especially the finals is not run like a time trial where they are shooting for the fastest time possible.  They run tactically.  The article compares Brownlee's 29:07 as part of his Olmypic gold medal triathlon to Mo Farrah's gold medal 27:30 time.  What they don't tell you is that the world record for the 10k is 26:17, and 97 seconds is an eternity on the track.  It means you're getting lapped...almost twice.  

Sure, Brownlee will be able to run faster without having to swim or bike first...but not that much faster.  He'll likely be at or near the his red line while the other runners are cruising through the first 5k.

2014-04-08 4:22 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by wannabefaster Are you kiddin me? Those guys are animals. Just beasts. The folks, like Gomez and the Brownlees, who are at that super pointy end of triathlon are out of this world. They are very close to as fast as the single sport athletes at all three disciplines. (I know, they are not quite there but so close). It is hard for us mortals to fathom what those guys are doing.
Alistair Brownlee has been tapped up to run 10,000m at the Commonwealth Games. As some of his better 10k times are competitive with the field that will be there. Which is mental. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/triathlon/20327233

Alistair Brownlee is really fast...but my guess is that if he entered the Commonwealth games against the very best...he may be able to hang with them for the first 5k...but when the race leaders turn on the jets...he'll get dropped like a sack of potatos.

Keep in mind that the 10k race...especially the finals is not run like a time trial where they are shooting for the fastest time possible.  They run tactically.  The article compares Brownlee's 29:07 as part of his Olmypic gold medal triathlon to Mo Farrah's gold medal 27:30 time.  What they don't tell you is that the world record for the 10k is 26:17, and 97 seconds is an eternity on the track.  It means you're getting lapped...almost twice.  

Sure, Brownlee will be able to run faster without having to swim or bike first...but not that much faster.  He'll likely be at or near the his red line while the other runners are cruising through the first 5k.

x2

I think it's odd they are even comparing his  29:07 (in a tri) to Mo's 27:30. 

He's got a standalone time (from last year) which was a 28:32.48 and that's not even the 'B' standard. Has he run something faster since?

2014-04-08 4:36 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran

To think they only swim 25k per week, bike 350 and run 100k, yes, 60 miles per week
2014-04-08 6:30 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

To think they only swim 25k per week, bike 350 and run 100k , yes, 60 miles per week

That seems about right at their level for the times they are running.  Still, 240 mpm is not 280 or 300. (I remember the magic 70+ mpw discussion).   Jr. is about to break 15:30 for 5K......he hasn't hit 30 mpw yet.....but it's coming.     

2014-04-08 7:55 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by marcag

To think they only swim 25k per week, bike 350 and run 100k, yes, 60 miles per week

Quality over quantity. And at the intensity they do some of their workouts, that is plenty.
2014-04-09 7:09 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Based on what I've read, I'm pretty sure that he's going to give it a go and hope that, like London, it is a very tactical race so that he can just hang out in the pack and try to hang on when someone tries to take over. Obviously he's not going to be gunning for the WR but rather something for a bit fun and see what it's like to race at that level on the track.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Am I running my long runs too fast? Pages: 1 2

Started by Zero2Athlete
Views: 4811 Posts: 48

2013-03-02 9:42 AM slonce5

Am i fast enough? Pages: 1 2

Started by nminesinger
Views: 2683 Posts: 28

2010-06-17 2:09 AM spudone

HR Training: How can I get fast faster ? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by sachinh
Views: 3185 Posts: 59

2007-09-17 6:53 PM vortmax

Am I moving too fast??

Started by ROBIT79
Views: 902 Posts: 7

2006-04-03 2:32 PM ROBIT79

How Fast is Too Fast?

Started by RafeOsha
Views: 1288 Posts: 13

2006-03-29 8:43 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"