General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello I am new at triathlons at would like to learn more Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-07 6:23 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Hello I am new at triathlons at would like to learn more
Hello my name is Carlos Corredor, and I am with the US Army. I'm 40 years old. All my life I am usually a very active person when it comes to sports, however I have a terrible attitude about running. I can swim and I can bike without no problem but when it comes to runnung I dread every bit. Everything hurts after running. I run because the military tells me to other than that, I would probably dind an alternative.

Research however has shown that running burns more calories than any other sport. It is great for eliminating that middle line of mine. So my intention is to combine all three of these events, because I want to feel healthy again as well as gaining a good attitude about running. So if you any tips on triathlon and running for a Newbie I would appreciate it.

Respectfully

Carlos

2003-12-08 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2369

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Hello I am new at triathlons at would like to learn more
I know exactly how you feel Carlos! I would have rather workout or play racquetball for 2 hours than run 2 miles before this year. Once you start getting your cardio fitness up, the running will get easier and even enjoyable. I now love to run. The key is to start slow and take walk breaks when starting. Consider buying Jeff Galloways' book on running. That got me started and made a big difference. I ran more than 2 miles for the first time in my life in May of this year and just ran a half marathon Thanksgiving weekend. If I can do it, anyone can. Just takse it slow.
2003-12-08 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2387

User image

New user

Thanks Cameron. I intend to start slow. Right now I only run about 2 miles every workout, but I would like to get to a point where I can feel comfortable in my run. Get up to 3 miles, sweating but not dying. But you are right, patience and will is a key factor. I will look up the book that you recommended. Thank you for your reply.

Carlos
2003-12-08 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2391

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
When I was first trying to get up to 5 miles, I would run 4mins and walk 1 min and increase distance 1/2 miles per week starting at 2 miles. Once I reached my goal of 5 miles, I would increase the run time each week by 1 min. until I got to run 1 mile, walk 1 min. I now run 1 mile for warmup and walk 1 min, then run 3 miles (5K practice) and walk 1 min and cooldown run 1 mile. It takes time, but my runs were generally enjoyable instead of my heart wanting to explode :-)
2003-12-08 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

so your doing about 2 miles now..just a sugestion would be to take a few minutes walk break BEFORE u get tired on the run...u may be able to cope better with higher mileage and feel better the following days...then later, u may not need the walk breaks.  there is absolutely nothing wrong with a walk break.  also, like cam pointed out, do a few minutes of very light jogging, THEN stretch then run, then walk at least 5-10 minutes then stretch again.

2003-12-09 5:42 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
HI Carlos,
Are you only running during PT in the mornings or are you doing training on your own. If it is in formation, I know the walk-Run thing is out of the question.So maybe on days that you don't run a lot in formation you can do the walk-run training at night. I hated running too. Used to slip off the back of the formation and run for the barracks. LOL. These guys here will get you going. Good luck.

2003-12-11 5:40 AM

User image

New user

Thanks for the response to my message. This is alright. I really appreciate all the sugestions. In reference to the Army PT I am doing it on my own, and do not need to be in a formation. I will take on the sugestion of running a mile then walking for a few minutes, then going again on the run. I did read some articles on the run/walk method, but it is that military in me that can't get out of that PT Mode, so I kind of force myself once in while to do the run/walk, by running with my dog. It is usually a stop and go with her at the begining and then she will stop again every mile or so. Nature calls quite often for her and I get a deserving break, and then go at it again. I also began Spinning. I do not have a good bike right now and kind of cold this time of the year here in Tennessee. Spinning has been quite an experience. It feels like if you were actually cycling out in the streets. My legs are quite tight at this moment specially the quads so I am kind of doing some light jogging today with my dog. LOL.

Thanks to all of you for your sugestions

Respectfully

Carlos
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello I am new at triathlons at would like to learn more Rss Feed