General Discussion Triathlon Talk » why triathletes need a road bike by Rappstar Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-11 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: why triathletes need a road bike by Rappstar

Jordan Rapp makes some excellent points on why you should own a road bike along with your tri bike. Agree 1000%

http://blog.rappstar.com/2014/04/why-triathletes-need-road-bike.html

2014-04-11 8:53 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Subject: RE: why triathletes need a road bike by Rappstar

I also agree. Not only because I'm firmly in the n+1 mentality. 

2014-04-11 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Crazy how an article from years ago can reignite like wildfire in less then 24 hours.
2014-04-11 9:19 AM

I don't know that I am following his points
- If you ride in groups you should be on a road bike - I agree
- If you are on a tri bike and not in aero you would be better off on a road bike - I agree

The counter to this is don't ride in groups and you should be in aero when ever possible on the tri bike. (it seems that there is a % of people that not only do they not ride in groups they get most of their miles on the trainer to avoid traffic)

Is he trying to make the point that you should train on a roadbike because of additional riding positions, but race on the tri bike? I would think the lack of practice on the tri bike would hurt.

full disclosure : I have a road bike and not a tri bike
2014-04-11 9:35 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

New user
penticton
what he is saying is....

riding on your road bike is the same position as been on your aerobar....that is true. angles are the same, you are simply rotated around the BB.

riding on the hoods of your TT bike is what lots of age group do....because they are tired or in a group. The minute you are on the hood of your TT bike, you would be better off riding a road bike as it s much more specific to your time trial position.

comfusing for many, but it s very true.
2014-04-11 9:42 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by bcagle25 Crazy how an article from years ago can reignite like wildfire in less then 24 hours.

I don't know if I'd consider a thread on ST and one here as "reignite like wildfire". Was it on the evening news?

But seriously, I enjoyed it. I'd always heard the arguments about group rides and such, but didn't know about the geometry on a road bike being closer to a tri bike than riding a tri bike out of aero. Good stuff.

2014-04-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by zed707

Originally posted by bcagle25 Crazy how an article from years ago can reignite like wildfire in less then 24 hours.

I don't know if I'd consider a thread on ST and one here as "reignite like wildfire". Was it on the evening news?

But seriously, I enjoyed it. I'd always heard the arguments about group rides and such, but didn't know about the geometry on a road bike being closer to a tri bike than riding a tri bike out of aero. Good stuff.

No, but that article was written a few years ago. Someone tweeted it yesterday (can't remember who), and hours later that was all I saw on social media.
2014-04-11 10:32 AM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jonnyo

what he is saying is....

riding on your road bike is the same position as been on your aerobar....that is true. angles are the same, you are simply rotated around the BB.

riding on the hoods of your TT bike is what lots of age group do....because they are tired or in a group. The minute you are on the hood of your TT bike, you would be better off riding a road bike as it s much more specific to your time trial position.

comfusing for many, but it s very true.

Was trying to figure out how to reply and you said it perfectly.

The only time I am on my hoods on my TT bike is between intervals or early/late parts of the wu cd.

My choice of ride between road/TT is similar to training, very general in the early stages, very specific the closer to the race.
2014-04-11 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I take credit for getting him to repost it!

2014-04-11 11:27 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcagle25

No, but that article was written a few years ago. Someone tweeted it yesterday (can't remember who), and hours later that was all I saw on social media.
Jordan reposted it to his Facebook page yesterday after something happened to it on his Specialized page.

2014-04-11 11:35 AM

User image

Pro

I've got a roadie and a TT bike.  I never use my roadie any more- it sits on the trainer, which went unused this winter.

Jordan forgot about Di2.  since my TT bike has Di2- I have dual position shifters.  So, I can shift and brake from the hoods and use it safely when riding in groups.  

Although- 80% of my riding is solo.  (early morning- out my front door)

And- I'm really a runner and swimmer more than a cyclist.

so maybe I shouldn't have bothered reading past paragraph 1.

but yeah, everyone needs at least 3 bikes.

2014-04-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
While you are probably the best fit for the 1st paragraph opt-out...the point remains that for those 20% in a group ride, having road bike geometry would be better than riding your tri-bike.
2014-04-11 1:05 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by bcagle25

Jordan reposted it to his Facebook page yesterday after something happened to it on his Specialized page.

Correct, after the massive retweets and FB posting of the specialized article back in 2010.
2014-04-11 1:40 PM

User image

I much rather ride my road bike in training.  I don't care if you gave me a $30k tri bike that had mind control shifting...I still rather ride my CAAD10 for training.  So much more versatile in terms of handling, cornering, accelerations, climbing, and descending.

2014-04-11 2:08 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

I much rather ride my road bike in training.  I don't care if you gave me a $30k tri bike that had mind control shifting...I still rather ride my CAAD10 for training.  So much more versatile in terms of handling, cornering, accelerations, climbing, and descending.

If there's one bike that I've heard great things about more than any other... it's the CAAAD10.  Gotta' try one of them some day.

2014-04-11 2:18 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Jason N

Gotta agree. I used to be a tri bike only kind of guy, then I got into group rides and now I have to force myself to ride the tri bike. I have a 70 miler tomorrow morning, I really want to ride the roadie but I know I need some T.I.T.S. on the tri bike before my IM in June.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » why triathletes need a road bike by Rappstar Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Disscusion: Why or Why not a Tri/Road bike Pages: 1 2

Started by LPJmom
Views: 4211 Posts: 36

2012-11-16 4:37 PM metafizx

Why a tri bike over a road bike?

Started by dewcubs
Views: 1150 Posts: 10

2009-09-04 9:43 AM aquagirl

Tri Bike vs. Road Bike (expert advice needed)

Started by strojny06
Views: 2292 Posts: 25

2009-08-19 10:45 AM Global

Why are road bikes not aero?

Started by Gerrard
Views: 1207 Posts: 11

2008-11-30 3:38 PM maubueno

First bike--road or tri and why?

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 939 Posts: 9

2004-06-25 6:28 PM JayC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : January 8, 2010
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : April 20, 2009
comments : 0
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.