General Discussion Race Reports! » Dwight Crum Pier to Pier 2 mile swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dwight Crum Pier to Pier 2 mile swim - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hermosa Beach, California
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 1s
Overall Rank = 208/773
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/66
Pre-race routine:

Went to the lifeguard Taplin Relays last night and there was a wicked onshore wind at 10 PM (but watching Dory boat races is AWESOME!!!). Didn't bode well for today. Woke up this morning to a light breeze, which translates to surface chop... ugh. Confirmed by the flags standing straight up and blowing directly against the course.

Since this is a late start, met up with a bunch of friends beforehand and coordinated cars. Bowl of cereal in the am, some water, a gu 30 minutes before start
Event warmup:

Few strokes is all........
Swim
  • 58m
  • 3520 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

The light breeze at home was a fairly stiff north wind, directly into the swim course. Great, surface current, plus word of an actual current running against us. I wasn't hopeful of a great time, but I was prepared to have the time be what it is. I'm in fairly good shape, but not great, having missed some time recently. Last year my goal was 1:00, same as this year, but I was expecting the conditions to make it a slow race.

Last year I started further outside, and it took forever to get to the end of the hermosa Pier. This year I decided to get in the scrum and started directly in front of the buoys, 3-4 people back. Funny, in tris I am first row. In a swim with real "swimmers," I'm stepping back.

It turned out to be a great line, and once I started swimming, there were a few bumps and bruises, but not too bad. Rounding the pier, I did have one really aggressive guy, he wasn't giving up his line, I wasn't giving up mine. That got interesting,,,,,, I almost got to the point of throwing an elbow, some of his actions seemed a little too aggressive. I decided just to get the hell away from him instead. I did not get pulled on as some of my friends did.

About 100 yards off the Hermosa pier, it pretty much cleared up. I eventually found some feet to draft off, but lost them after 1/4 mile or so. Again, like last year, I looked right, and saw a long line of swimmers close in, looked left, long line of swimmers out deep. I found myself alone for much of the swim, thought about joining the deep lines but I have a tendency to swim left, out to sea, and hit the pier at an odd angle, so I stayed center.

As it was, my line to the pier was pretty good, could have been better, but not much. For a while I was sighting off some paddlers, who I then passed. Found another set of feet for a while, then lost them. I think to really excel you have to draft the whole way. Problem is, once you are 1/2-3/4 in, not many people pass you. Although it was strange, I got passed a couple times at that point. Where do these people come from? I tried to hang on, but couldn't.

Incredibly, I got mauled by our masters swim mauler. This guy gets right on your feet and nearly slaps them every stroke. Very annoying in the pool, REALLY annoying that this guy found me in the midst of 700+ swimmers. And he is stong enough that once he is on your tail, he won't let go. I eventually surged ahead and lost him. Saw him on shore, didn't see how he did, would be bummed if he beat me....OK, he didn't beat me, but I didn't beat him by much, less than two minutes.

There is a large yellow house that marks the 1 mile spot, more or less. Most times I do the 2 mile swim, I think I am further along but then I spy the big yellow house. Damn. That's always a motivation killer. This time, I consciously avoided looking for it, just focused on the roundhouse at the Manhattan pier ahead, as it,,, slowly,,,,, got closer. Didn't matter where I was or what the time was, I was where I was and the time was what it was. Pretty philosophical, huh?

I rounded the MB pier with 3-4 other swimmers. They had told us there was some big surf here, but we had absolutely nothing coming in. I was looking for a little free ride. I came in with the guy next to me to about shin deep water and up we went. Last year I looked up and saw 1:02.... man, that sucked. This year looked up and saw 57. I sprinted (for me) through the shallow water, and thought the guy next to me was going to slow, he didn't, we sprinted up the beach, but the volunteers seem to think it's not a race and make everyone slow down up the sand. They said something like "let's not kill each other." Aw come on, it's all just in good fun. They guy got me by a foot and finished in the line ahead of me. Missed 57 by :01

One of my training buddies finished around 45:00, 15th overall.

I was very happy with my time until a girl who swims masters, and finished about 1:01-02, said "I thought you'd finish faster." grrrrrrrrrr. Time is 1:39 or so /100. My "pace" pace is sub 1:30, so how to explain, I don't know. But two miles is a long way.

Funny, one friend beat me that I routinely beat in the pool. He said it's more his element. Hmmmmm, how to get faster in OW.......

What would you do differently?:

Train more. Draft more.

Post race
Warm down:

shower off, pick up water and free shirt. Coffee at Peet's. Bagel. S'about it......

What limited your ability to perform faster:

At least I don't have to say weight........

Event comments:

This is my second year in this swim, and I love it. I also love that I have a group of friends and training partners to hang out with before and after the race. Last year, I knew them, but it was just me and my wife. Training has added an amazing aspect to my life.

As for the swim, ohhhh, so close to 57 :) Looking at the numbers, 5+ minutes off last year's time (which is all relative, can't really compare year to year, although overall times were slightly faster this year), 5 places higher overall. Last year I was at 37%, this year top 30% in AG, last year top 30% overall, this year top 26% overall (whattatridorkiam :) ), so there is improvement!

This is also in my mind a classic swim, that anyone living in L.A. or nearby has to do as part of their yearly schedule.

Last updated: 2006-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:58:00 | 3520 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/66
Overall: 208/773
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Hermosa to Manhattan pier
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-08 5:23 PM

User image

Subject: Dwight Crum Pier to Pier 2 mile swim

2006-08-09 3:49 PM
in reply to: #505906

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Dwight Crum Pier to Pier 2 mile swim
Congratulations on getting your goal time. Nice swim Chris.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dwight Crum Pier to Pier 2 mile swim Rss Feed