General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nutrition on bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-08 5:58 PM

New user

Katy, TX
Subject: nutrition on bike
I have my first HIM (PrairieMan) coming up in about a month so I've been trying out different things during my long rides.  My question is...how do you know what you ingest on the bike is not going to effect you on the run?  The obvious answer would be to make it a brick and do a short run afterwards, but how far should I run?  1 mile, 3?  What do you think?

2006-08-08 9:19 PM
in reply to: #505935

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: nutrition on bike
I am no expert but have been told that I should give my muscles a full 20 minutes to transition from bike to run. So keep that in mind when doing even a shorter brick.

As far as nutrition goes, its all personal. Get out there and see what works for you. However, for me, the GI issues I had set in on the bike and then continued on the run for almost the entire race. It was a disaster, but I made it to the finish line nonetheless. Anyways, I would say that you would know pretty soon after ingesting your food/gel/gu/drink that it is upsetting to your stomach.

That's my .02... I'm sure there are plenty of others experiences that differ, and/or can give you more concrete examples. Best advice? Test it yourself. Good luck on your race!

2006-08-09 1:25 PM

New user

Katy, TX
I rode 50 miles this morning and used a combination of Perpetuem, Cliff Blocks, water, and endurolytes throughout my ride. I didn't have any problems on the bike, but as soon as I got off I felt like I was STARVING! Does this mean I need to take in more calories or should I try solid food? I know I don't want to start running on an empty stomach!
2006-08-09 2:05 PM
in reply to: #506817

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

robn515 - 2006-08-09 1:25 PM I rode 50 miles this morning and used a combination of Perpetuem, Cliff Blocks, water, and endurolytes throughout my ride. I didn't have any problems on the bike, but as soon as I got off I felt like I was STARVING! Does this mean I need to take in more calories or should I try solid food? I know I don't want to start running on an empty stomach!

But you really don't want to run on a full stomach!

Seriously, go for a run after your long bike and see how you feel.  Personally, I feel the best nutrition plans stay very simple.

2006-08-09 2:26 PM
in reply to: #506882

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
JohnnyKay - 2006-08-09 2:05 PM

robn515 - 2006-08-09 1:25 PM I rode 50 miles this morning and used a combination of Perpetuem, Cliff Blocks, water, and endurolytes throughout my ride. I didn't have any problems on the bike, but as soon as I got off I felt like I was STARVING! Does this mean I need to take in more calories or should I try solid food? I know I don't want to start running on an empty stomach!

But you really don't want to run on a full stomach!

Seriously, go for a run after your long bike and see how you feel.  Personally, I feel the best nutrition plans stay very simple.

x2  I've keep my nutrition as simple as possible. For Timberman 70.3 I'll use a bottle of perpetuem I'll bring on the bike and use Gatorade endurance provided on the race course. Plus my gel flask with hammer gel expresso and salt tablets
2006-08-09 4:11 PM

New user

Katy, TX

Jorge, so you use Perpetuem and Gatorade Endurance?  I thought about going solely with Gatorade Endurance for IMAZ since it's on the course, but I felt extremely bloated after using it on one of my training rides.  I never thought about using them both.  That works ok for you?

I also think I may switch back to gels instead of the cliff blocks because I'm not a big fan of the stickiness and the chewing.  I switched to the blocks hoping that since it was more of a "solid food" than gels I wouldn't get that hunger feeling.  I'm worried about the hunger feeling because I tend to get really bad headaches after that which is why I'm constantly eating all day everyday.

The feeling I get isn't just a little hunger pain, it's more of an "I can eat a horse" kind of feeling.  But, you're right I definitely don't want to be full before I start the run. 

What do ya'll think about having like 1/2 a protein bar or something to curb the hunger after I get off the bike?  Obviously I'm not going to stuff myself, but just something to hold me over?

2006-08-09 5:46 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
One of the things I found the most helpful was a race sim - I used the one in the Oly to HIM bridge plan using my fueling plan - getting off the bike for the second run let me know that I wasn't too full to run.

Other than that, you definitely don't want a full stomach for the run - 21k is a long way and if your stomach is full when you get off the bike, there's a good chance it's going to stay that way - or purge itself - for the entire run. Better to get off the bike having started to digest most of the calories you've taken on (I stopped eating 20-30' before my planned T2) and switched to just sipping water. Then on the run I simply started my fueling plan for the run and didn't have any issues.

Although my energy levels were good throughout the race and I didn't feel hungry - at the end I pretty much started eating anything that wasn't nailed down - bagels, fruit, gatorade - anything they had I started eating

Shane
2006-08-09 7:17 PM
in reply to: #507069

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
robn515 - 2006-08-09 4:11 PM

Jorge, so you use Perpetuem and Gatorade Endurance? I thought about going solely with Gatorade Endurance for IMAZ since it's on the course, but I felt extremely bloated after using it on one of my training rides. I never thought about using them both. That works ok for you?

I also think I may switch back to gels instead of the cliff blocks because I'm not a big fan of the stickiness and the chewing. I switched to the blocks hoping that since it was more of a "solid food" than gels I wouldn't get that hunger feeling. I'm worried about the hunger feeling because I tend to get really bad headaches after that which is why I'm constantly eating all day everyday.

The feeling I get isn't just a little hunger pain, it's more of an "I can eat a horse" kind of feeling. But, you're right I definitely don't want to be full before I start the run.

What do ya'll think about having like 1/2 a protein bar or something to curb the hunger after I get off the bike? Obviously I'm not going to stuff myself, but just something to hold me over?

Do you feel hungry when you get off the bike and go run?  Or do you feel hungry after you get off and stop? 

The former would be unusual and might be worth experimenting with eating a bit more.  The latter is completely normal, but doesn't mean you will have to eat more before doing your run. 

2006-08-10 7:57 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Sorry for the late response but these days I am so busy setting up a race I am not getting my regular BT hrs
Jorge, so you use Perpetuem and Gatorade Endurance?  I thought about going solely with Gatorade Endurance for IMAZ since it's on the course, but I felt extremely bloated after using it on one of my training rides.  I never thought about using them both.  That works ok for you?
>>> yes I use both and it worked for me at Florida 70.3. I tend to sweat quite a bit and I need to keep my sodium intake up if not I cramp during the run. I combine that with hammer gel and it is enough for me. I try to stay away from solid food when going at high intensities (sprint, Oly and HIM) because I can’t stomach those. BUT if I was training for an IM I would definitely consider eating bars or something solid. Finally I bring my salt tablets and I take one ever 1 or 2.
I also think I may switch back to gels instead of the cliff blocks because I'm not a big fan of the stickiness and the chewing.  I switched to the blocks hoping that since it was more of a "solid food" than gels I wouldn't get that hunger feeling.  I'm worried about the hunger feeling because I tend to get really bad headaches after that which is why I'm constantly eating all day everyday.
>>> As Johnny asked, do you get this feeling while working out or after? It is ok to feel “a bit” hungry when working out but nothing to extreme. And ALWAYS remember the nig 3 things you need to do after you finish your session: STRETCH (do this for at least 10-20 min thoroughly as it can improve your recovery process up to 4-5 hrs), DRINK (you want to re-hydrate as soon as possible) and EAT (recovery drinks are great options when training on the go but I prefer to east real food within 20-30 min of my stretching session. Choose foods with Carbs and some protein)
The feeling I get isn't just a little hunger pain, it's more of an "I can eat a horse" kind of feeling.  But, you're right I definitely don't want to be full before I start the run. 
>>> This is when training and practicing nutrition is so important. For me if I eat or drink a bit too much before the run I’ll have a lethargic feel and I’ll get side stitches invariably. Drink/eat to little and you can begin the run on deficit mode slowing you down. I try to get my last gel like 20-10 min before getting to T2 and to avoid over drinking I spread y bottle over the hr. Some athletes drink every 15 mi other every 30 and take big gulps. I rather drink every 5-10 min small sips of Gatorade or Perpetuem and it seems my body can absorb it better/faster that way. I do the same at the run. I stop at EVERY aid station to take some water, Gatorade or cola. (I don’t eat through the run but I do continue taking my salt tablets)
What do ya'll think about having like 1/2 a protein bar or something to curb the hunger after I get off the bike?  Obviously I'm not going to stuff myself, but just something to hold me over?
>>> Whatever works for you! Try it at some point and see how your run goes. If it doesn’t work try eating half a bar 20 min while riding before the run. If it doesn’t work try a gel and Gatorade/perpetuem, and continue the trial and error process until you find YOUR right mix One final, DON’T over drink or eat! Some athletes tend to over do this thinking eating/drinking a bit more will allow them to not do it so much when running. But your body can ONLY process so much and it doesn’t absorb at the same rate that you are burning fuel for energy.

I hope this helps!

2006-08-10 9:11 AM

Great advice in previous posts. Only input I'd add is to be aware of your "sweat rate" (PrarieMan is a hot/sunny race) and practice adding electrolytes/salt to accomodate loss. Also, make a plan and stick to it. My first half I had a plan and then, in the excitement of the race, varied things a good bit and suffered because of it.

Good Luck!

Tom
2006-08-10 6:42 PM

New user

Katy, TX
I started feeling a little hungry towards the end of the bike, but it didn't really hit me until I stopped. So, from what I've read, you guys think the reason why I felt that way is because I stopped and had I kept going and started running I probably wouldn't have felt quite like I could eat a horse! You know, I think I read that somewhere! I think I'm going to stick to my plan except I'm going to substitute gels for the blocks and make it a brick next time to see if the hunger pains stay away. I think I may try some solid food when I start really preparing for IMAZ, but we'll see when the time comes.Thanks for all the responses! Robin

2006-08-10 6:46 PM

New user

Katy, TX
Jorge, thanks for your response. I appreciate how in depth you got and you brought up a lot of good points that I hadn't thought about. Especially the point you made about slowing down on your nutrition as you near the run...I guess that goes along with "you don't want to be full when you start the run." Anyway, thanks again!
2006-08-11 10:27 AM
in reply to: #507069

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

On my 56 mile course check for Timberman, I found that a balance gold bar was perfect for my hunger needs -- sticky/melty/gooey though it was. 

I'm going to try a less sticky enervit bar called a protein energy bar, and if they are good, use those at Timberman to stay fed on the bike, ready for the run.

2006-08-12 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I learned 2 weeks ago at Vineman 70.3 that Cliff bars may work fine in training but not in races when the intensity is high. After my first Cliff bar, my stomach shut down (get all bloated etc.), and I had to ease off so my stomach would re-engage, and it did, ate gels rest of the way.

I was surprised as Cliff bars have been part of my long distance training diet, I just had not tested it at the higher intensity of the race. I ingest 300+ cals per hour on the HIM bike, Cytomax/Gatorade plus gels, nothing else....morale of the story: make sure the food you plan on taking work at the intensity levels of the race.....
2006-08-12 10:15 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Plan on 20-30 minutes of running after a ride.

For my HIM (last weekend) I had a Peak bar (pretty heavy) about 45 minutes into the ride and a Luna bar about an hour later. That gave me an hour before I started the run. I had planned on a gel in the last hour, but skipped it. Ate a few grapes on the run, but otherwise, just what I had on the bike and Gatorade (during the bike and run).
2006-08-13 8:58 AM
in reply to: #509872

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
us50090 - 2006-08-12 9:14 PM I learned 2 weeks ago at Vineman 70.3 that Cliff bars may work fine in training but not in races when the intensity is high. After my first Cliff bar, my stomach shut down (get all bloated etc.), and I had to ease off so my stomach would re-engage, and it did, ate gels rest of the way. I was surprised as Cliff bars have been part of my long distance training diet, I just had not tested it at the higher intensity of the race. I ingest 300+ cals per hour on the HIM bike, Cytomax/Gatorade plus gels, nothing else....morale of the story: make sure the food you plan on taking work at the intensity levels of the race.....
Same happened to me last year at Timberman. That's why I stick with a fluid nutrition plan (sports drink and gels)  for races

2006-08-14 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

This is my nutrition plan for HIM and IM:
~2 calories/hour/pound of lean body wieght = about 230 calories/hour
600 mg sodium (add up the Na in salt tablets, drinks and gels.)
20 oz H2O / hour (if I can drink that much)

I use Perpetuem, GU and electrolyte tablets.  I mix the Perpetuem to the strength needed for the bike ride.  I take the Gu just to give me a change from sucking down Perpetuem. 

Be careful mixing products together in your stomach.  Everything I have read and experienced says don't mix simple sugars (Gatorade) and complex sugars (Perpetuem, Gu, Cytomax).  The mixture doesn't have the correct osmolity to be easily digested and absorbed.  It could end up sitting in your stomach.  This has happened to me. 

You need to practice your nutrition plan in training.  A long brick is best for this.  For a HIM I do a 2 hour bike / 1 hour run brick. 

Hope to see you at Prairie Man...I'll be there.

TJ

Edited by zia_cyclist 2006-08-14 9:05 PM
2006-08-15 7:16 PM

New user

Katy, TX

I plan on doing one final nutrition check on Saturday during my long ride.  Perpetuem, gels, endurolytes, and water.  Last weekend after my ride I didn't have any feelings of hunger so I feel much better about my plan. 

2006-08-18 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC
Does anybody else use CarboPro? I have switched over to all liquid nutrition on the bike (and I do mean all liquid, no gels) and have found that it works very well for me. Bars make me burp (especially clif bars) and gels, well, they have the same effect but at the other end of the system. So I mix up a ~550 calories of CarboPro in a bottle of Gatorade for a 700 calorie bottle and then nurse that for about 3-3.5 hours. Water for hydration and thermolyte pills for electrolytes. The carbo pro doesn't taste and sits really really well on my stomach. Having water only for hydration makes it easy to dilute the solution in my stomach if I need to (and I always take water when I drink from my food bottle).
I plan to use this for IMFL and stick another "food" bottle in my needs bag for the bike. That should get me through the bike with a happy tummy, I hope.

Tommy
2006-08-18 4:26 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

rather than focusing on # of calories per hour, switch the focus to grams of carbs and grams of protein per hour.

it's really about getting your body's ideal carbs/protein down per hour rather than # of calories down per hour.

2006-09-07 1:22 PM
in reply to: #506924

User image

Extreme Veteran
try, try and tri again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nutrition on bike Rss Feed