General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-12 3:05 PM

Subject: Bike advice
Hi, all. Stepping up my triathlon game, and getting my first tri bike. I've been fit by a certified fitter (stack: 582, reach: 431). Then, I've intensively researched both this board and various manufacturers looking primarily for bikes that fit based on stack and reach and also assessing what seemed to me to be the best quality components for the money. I'm looking in the $3000 range. Here's what I think I've narrowed the candidates down to:

Cannondale Slice 3 Ultegra (Ultegra 6700 components)
QR Lucero Lite (Dura Ace components)
Valdora PHX/2 (Ultegra 6800 components)

Obviously, Valdora is a smaller manufacturer than the other two, but I had it highly recommended to me by somebody and it seems to have a good reputation (and, most importantly, the fit is good).

Other manufacturers either had poor fits (e.g.., Kestrel, Scott) or offered lower level components (i.e., 105) for the money at this price point (e.g., Felt, Cervelo, Specialized, Fuji, Trek).

So, any recommendations based on the three identified above? Have I focused too much on components in eliminating some of the major brands? Are their framesets significantly better and, therefore, worthy of consideration (I could always upgrade some components)? Others candidates that I might have missed?

Thanks so much.

Edited by dmede13 2014-04-12 3:13 PM

2014-04-13 11:31 AM
in reply to: dmede13

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Bike advice
With your fit#'s, I can see how a Slice would work well, but from memory, the QR Lucero does have a quite short head tube and corresponding lower stack… I have no idea of the Valdora. Another bike that I bet would fit you really well would be BH GC Aero, taller stack and shorter reach.

The difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra is almost nothing (a few grams, a bit better finish, but mechanically the same). I would take a look at the rest of the components, crank and brakes are often off-brands (nothing wrong with that though, sometimes it's as good as or better then the group set, other times it can be worse, just pay attention to it…), what aero bars are included and what wheels. That'll set them apart I bet.

Most important is of course fit.
2014-04-13 1:43 PM
in reply to: audiojan

Thanks, audiojan. Good call on BH, which I had not previously looked at. The geometry on the Aerolight RC is a great fit for me. But the components (at my price point) are 105. I haven't done much research on BH. Is it worth considering along with the others even with lower level components?
2014-04-14 12:59 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You're not giving up that much with 105 compared to Ultegra. Keep in mind that the shifters are Dura-Ace, so you're basically looking at front derailleur, where it makes perfect sense to save a bit of money (think about how often you change gears vs. how often you go from the larger to small chain ring…), the rear derailleur (which is really quite inexpensive to upgrade down the road) and crank set (the 105 is a bit heavier, but excellent functionally).

Don't get stuck on the components as much as on the frame and the fit. Much better to get a frame that you can use for years to come. BH is a very good and reputable Spanish brand that has been around for MANY years. Not that common in the US, so you would stand out in transition.
2014-04-14 4:33 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Thanks, again. The shifters on the RC model are actually Vision Team Aero, not Dura Ace. BH appears to have an intermediate RC Ultegra model in Europe between the 105 and the Di2, which would be perfect for me. But apparently we can't get it in the US.

I took a second look at Felt, and the B12 is actually a very good fit for me. Good components in my price range and stack/reach are very close. Felt seems to be regarded well in these parts. . .
2014-04-14 9:26 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
My wife has a DA4 and I must say, that's one of the nicest frames I've ever worked on! Felt is truly first class stuff.

The DA4 came standard with the Vision Tech shifters and not a fan of those… didn't matter much though as we really wanted the frame… It has since been upgraded to Di2, Quarq SRAM Red crank, TriRig Omega front brake (highly recommended!!!) and HED Jet6/9 wheels.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Tri coming up need some bike advice

Started by sepakk
Views: 799 Posts: 3

2005-08-01 10:21 AM CptnJackSparrow

Road bike TO tri bike--advice?

Started by Mottyl
Views: 533 Posts: 1

2005-07-22 4:27 PM Mottyl

Need some more bike advice

Started by KathyG
Views: 922 Posts: 9

2004-10-21 7:02 PM KathyG

New Bike Advice?

Started by BlueRover
Views: 1052 Posts: 6

2004-10-01 11:46 PM pjsuperhawk

NEED BIKE ADVICE

Started by will race for beer
Views: 1025 Posts: 3

2004-07-25 12:04 AM moneybags
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : January 8, 2010
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.
date : October 9, 2009
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.