General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phelps coming out of retirement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-15 1:21 PM

Subject: Phelps coming out of retirement
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/04/14/michael-ph...
Racing in the Grand Prix at the end of the month. 50 and 100 in both free and fly. We will see how 20 months of golf has treated him.

2014-04-15 1:24 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Phelps coming out of retirement
Yeah, I am sure he will get back into form quick enough to compete for an Olympic spot. Word on the street is his mom really wants to go to RIO so this is a way to make it happen. Also, he is a competetive person and probably got bored in retirement. He is still under 30 years old
2014-04-15 1:33 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

It's probably good for swimming if he does well.  My kids think he's cool (even though he's a dope smoker) and it gets them to watch the Olympics with me.  My wife thinks he's hot and it gets her to watch the Olympics with me.  Hey, anything for quality family time.

2014-04-15 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/04/14/michael-ph...
Racing in the Grand Prix at the end of the month. 50 and 100 in both free and fly. We will see how 20 months of golf has treated him.

I made a bet with a friend at the end of London his retirement wouldn't go beyond Rio, now I can cash in. For someone like Phelps who has been competitive his entire life to "retire" at 27 is much too young, especially for someone that is goal oriented and driven. When he was 12 he wanted to make it to the olympics (accomplished), when he was 21 he wanted to change the sport of swimming (accomplished). His goals are constantly evolving. He has taken his time off and now the itch for competition and whatever his drive is has came back. Not sure specifically what his goals are intentions are, but I think it has been clear his return was imminent, especially after he re-entered the drug testing pool not too long ago. No matter what this is good for the sport of swimming, especially in the U.S.

I don't expect to see him compete in the 400IM, then again 6 months before London he swore he wouldn't race the 400IM in London.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-04-15 1:42 PM
2014-04-15 1:39 PM

User image

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 Yeah, I am sure he will get back into form quick enough to compete for an Olympic spot. Word on the street is his mom really wants to go to RIO so this is a way to make it happen. Also, he is a competetive person and probably got bored in retirement. He is still under 30 years old

My guess is that sponsorship money played a part in his decision. 

2014-04-15 1:40 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Seattle

Ha, I imagine this doesn't come as a surprise to many.

2014-04-15 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 Yeah, I am sure he will get back into form quick enough to compete for an Olympic spot. Word on the street is his mom really wants to go to RIO so this is a way to make it happen. Also, he is a competetive person and probably got bored in retirement. He is still under 30 years old

Small part, yes. I don't know any job extension, offer, promotion where money wouldn't play a factor. But money is definitely not his drive.

Great 18 minutes of Bowman and Phelps relationship and what drives Phelps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagTJo_vGTk

Edited by bcagle25 2014-04-15 1:44 PM
2014-04-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

It's probably good for swimming if he does well.  My kids think he's cool (even though he's a dope smoker) and it gets them to watch the Olympics with me.  My wife thinks he's hot and it gets her to watch the Olympics with me.  Hey, anything for quality family time.

lol yeaaaaaah, smoking a little pot sure beats a whole lot of other stuff some of these high profile people that kids look up to do.

2014-04-15 1:47 PM

Veteran

I feel like Crowie has announced his retirement 3 or 4 times already. He keeps coming back. Although after the NOLA 70.3 this weekend I said Im done with triathlon and Im selling all my stuff. I think dehydration and hard mental efforts alter our thought process and immediate post race interviews arent that reliable. But Phelps probably just wants the free Subway sandwiches to keep coming.

2014-04-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: Tri-a-betic

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Tri-a-betic

I feel like Crowie has announced his retirement 3 or 4 times already. He keeps coming back. Although after the NOLA 70.3 this weekend I said Im done with triathlon and Im selling all my stuff. I think dehydration and hard mental efforts alter our thought process and immediate post race interviews arent that reliable. But Phelps probably just wants the free Subway sandwiches to keep coming.

Crowie's retirements have been very poorly interpreted.

He said of Kona he was done racing Kona (not ironman), people thought this as racing Ironman.

After Melbourne he retired from Ironman (Not professional racing), people think this is professional racing.

He won't race Kona anymore, he won't race Ironman anymore, but he will still race professionally, and continue to be an ambassador for WTC.
2014-04-15 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Sidney Porter http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/04/14/michael-ph... Racing in the Grand Prix at the end of the month. 50 and 100 in both free and fly. We will see how 20 months of golf has treated him.

Phew - I thought you were going to say that he was going to learn to bike and run.

At least we wouldn't be in the same age group.

Matt

2014-04-15 2:39 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25

Small part, yes. I don't know any job extension, offer, promotion where money wouldn't play a factor. But money is definitely not his drive. Great 18 minutes of Bowman and Phelps relationship and what drives Phelps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagTJo_vGTk

I don't doubt that he has the want and desire to be the best.  You don't win 20+ medals just on physical talent or natural born abilities nor do you attain that kind of success when you're just chasing money.

Part of me just thinks that Phelps knew he would compete in Rio all along, but just played the retirement card after London so now he can create more buzz right now.  Without Phelps retirement, we wouldn't be talking about him right now. 

2014-04-15 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

bet he doesn't kick

2014-04-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by dmiller5

bet he doesn't kick

LOL!

Seriously though, is anyone actually surprised by this?
2014-04-15 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

bet he doesn't kick

Bwaahahahahaaaa - FTW!
2014-04-16 12:13 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

bet he doesn't kick

he could not kick and still outswim us all.

2014-04-16 5:33 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by AdventureBear

bet he doesn't kick

He could just kick, not use his arms, and still outswim us all.  

2014-04-16 7:22 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest

bet he doesn't kick

100% true.

I'm new to swimming, and a couple months ago at the Y I was sharing the lane with a fast teenager. I started my 250 set at race pace at the same time he started a kick set with a board. I swam 250, he kicked 250. He out-touched me at the wall....... and I know I was more tired than he was.

Before that I was basically ignoring my kick. not so much anymore. I'm faster now, but I know that the biggest limiter on my speed is kicking.

As for Phelps, he's welcome back, but someone please tell him to hike his speedo up just a notch. The world doesn't need to know he goes for the Brazilian waxing
2014-04-16 8:08 AM
in reply to: Mtnwesttri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Mtnwesttri
Originally posted by TriMyBest

bet he doesn't kick

100% true. I'm new to swimming, and a couple months ago at the Y I was sharing the lane with a fast teenager. I started my 250 set at race pace at the same time he started a kick set with a board. I swam 250, he kicked 250. He out-touched me at the wall....... and I know I was more tired than he was. Before that I was basically ignoring my kick. not so much anymore. I'm faster now, but I know that the biggest limiter on my speed is kicking. As for Phelps, he's welcome back, but someone please tell him to hike his speedo up just a notch. The world doesn't need to know he goes for the Brazilian waxing

Thousands of screaming teenage girls beg to differ?

but seriously, I am very very excited to see him come back, dude is an absolute animal. And a Marylander :D

2014-04-16 8:30 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Small part, yes. I don't know any job extension, offer, promotion where money wouldn't play a factor. But money is definitely not his drive. Great 18 minutes of Bowman and Phelps relationship and what drives Phelps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagTJo_vGTk

I don't doubt that he has the want and desire to be the best.  You don't win 20+ medals just on physical talent or natural born abilities nor do you attain that kind of success when you're just chasing money.

Part of me just thinks that Phelps knew he would compete in Rio all along, but just played the retirement card after London so now he can create more buzz right now.  Without Phelps retirement, we wouldn't be talking about him right now. 

It's also quite possible that he wanted less of a spotlight on himself. At least for a little while.

2014-10-09 9:40 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Veteran

Accurately interpreted. Poorly announced.

2014-10-09 9:43 AM
in reply to: Tri-a-betic

Veteran

Originally posted by Tri-a-betic

I feel like Crowie has announced his retirement 3 or 4 times already. He keeps coming back. Although after the NOLA 70.3 this weekend I said Im done with triathlon and Im selling all my stuff. I think dehydration and hard mental efforts alter our thought process and immediate post race interviews arent that reliable. But Phelps probably just wants the free Subway sandwiches to keep coming.

Crowie's retirements have been very poorly interpreted. He said of Kona he was done racing Kona (not ironman), people thought this as racing Ironman. After Melbourne he retired from Ironman (Not professional racing), people think this is professional racing. He won't race Kona anymore, he won't race Ironman anymore, but he will still race professionally, and continue to be an ambassador for WTC.

Accurately interpreted. Poorly announced

2014-10-09 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Not sure how long he will be out of swimming for and if it will alter his plans for RIO 2016 but he was just popped this week for his 2nd DUI in Baltimore and apparently he says that swimming will be on hold for the next few months...
2014-10-09 1:43 PM

User image

Pro

USA swimming has suspended him for 6 months and he is off the U.S. World team for next year.

2014-10-09 1:55 PM

User image

Delco, PA

Originally posted by Left Brain

USA swimming has suspended him for 6 months and he is off the U.S. World team for next year.

Deserved the suspension too.  It's now his second DUI.

Regarding Rio 2016 though, it shouldn't affect him.  He's still allowed to practice with his club team throughout his whole competition suspension.

Edited by C_Hassard 2014-10-09 1:56 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phelps coming out of retirement Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Retirement party for my swimming suit - 3 years!

Started by Shoeless
Views: 1436 Posts: 15

2012-04-11 6:50 AM TheClaaaw

My Mukluk is coming My Mukluk is coming

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1966 Posts: 17

2011-02-01 10:12 AM wgraves7582

Video of Phelps breaking the WR

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 918 Posts: 8

2007-03-28 6:47 PM lobstergirl

Peter the Great Announces Retirement

Started by dajeeman357
Views: 783 Posts: 2

2006-06-20 12:05 PM jeng

Michael Phelps gets gold......

Started by infosteward
Views: 665 Posts: 6

2004-08-15 10:01 AM jmc1888
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 2, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on the 'pull', swim phases, emulating Michael Phelps, the glide, dragging feet, interval training, and going backwards when kicking.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 0
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout