General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinking and eating on the bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-16 2:00 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Drinking and eating on the bike
I cannot get the hang of drinking on the bike. Whenever I try I just wobble so much I can't get the bottle. On my long training rides I stop briefly every half hour to take a drink and a few bites of a power bar. The problem is I have a HIM in 6 weeks and I know I am not going to be able to refuel while cycling without having to stop. Am I an idiot or does anyone else have this issue? I had thought of getting aero bars just to put a bottle there with a straw to drink from but that is another cost of around £60-70. Any tips out there or do I just stop at every aid station? I am not trying to compete as this is my first HIM I am simply trying to complete.

2014-04-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Drinking and eating on the bike

Before reaching for a bottle, get your speed up a bit,  pedal smoothly and move one hand (usually your non-dominant hand) to the bar tops near the stem and keep a light grip there. Now reach for the bottle with your dominant hand, while either coasting or still pedaling smoothly. With your hand near the stem, it takes more hand force to cause the front end to wobble. You'll be more stable. Same goes for reaching into a jersey pocket -- move that non-dominant hand to the bar top.

Edited by briderdt 2014-04-16 2:32 PM
2014-04-16 2:47 PM
in reply to: briderdt

, Alabama
Thanks, that may be the problem I think I have been slowing down to try maybe I need to try it when I am going a bit faster.
2014-04-16 3:10 PM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Yes.  Easier to do when going a bit faster or even easier if you are coasting safely downhill.  You don't want to reach for anything if you ever need to touch your brakes though...so stress on "safely downhill."  The faster you go, the more stable you are.  The hardest thing to do is reach for bottles while climbing uphill and you need to hold your line.  Usually not a problem on training rides or triathlon races but harder to do when climbing a hill in a big pack.

2014-04-16 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

You are most likely drinking too much prior to getting on the bike. That's what often leads to my wobbling. 

2014-04-17 10:45 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thebigb

You are most likely drinking too much prior to getting on the bike. That's what often leads to my wobbling. 

probably the most off based post I have ever read "drinking too much" I shudder at the thought of that being real

2014-04-17 12:21 PM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I absolutely think this is something you can learn with time.  Also, poor core strength really makes you push the handlebars too hard and when you remove one hand.  Try to hold yourself up with your core and not your hands.  I see myself do this in the early season a lot.

That said, you have a big race in 6 weeks.   I personally prefer to wear a hydration backpack (Camelbak, whatever) for long rides.  I did this in my HIM race.  It's not very "cool" but I was able to carry my entire fluid & calorie requirement without stopping and could drink along the way.  I felt totally in control.

Just a thought...

2014-04-17 12:32 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by NMS

I cannot get the hang of drinking on the bike. Whenever I try I just wobble so much I can't get the bottle. On my long training rides I stop briefly every half hour to take a drink and a few bites of a power bar. The problem is I have a HIM in 6 weeks and I know I am not going to be able to refuel while cycling without having to stop. Am I an idiot or does anyone else have this issue? I had thought of getting aero bars just to put a bottle there with a straw to drink from but that is another cost of around £60-70. Any tips out there or do I just stop at every aid station? I am not trying to compete as this is my first HIM I am simply trying to complete.
[/QUOTE

You should work hard on this over the next 6 weeks. Coasting when you reach for your bottle is easier.

You also become a hazard on the road during the tri if you keep stopping. Not a big deal when there's a lot of room but if the coarse is congested on the shoulder is narrow you are now another obstacle(unpredictable one) that people have to ride around.

You are probably putting too much force into steering, once moving you barely have to hold on at all. The bike wants to keep going straight.
2014-04-17 12:58 PM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by ajusf16

Originally posted by thebigb

probably the most off based post I have ever read "drinking too much" I shudder at the thought of that being real

On the contrary. I often wobble after drinking too much as well. Extreme cases have even involved nausea and vomiting. That was mostly in college though.
2014-04-17 3:31 PM

User image

New user

Raleigh
I just raced a HIM last weekend, and stopped three times to eat. I can drink on the bike (took some time, but the tips here are good ones), but I haven't figured out how to eat yet. It felt awkward the first time to just stop (and a few athletes asked if I needed help), but I'm glad I did. I can't imagine going the whole 56 miles without eating.

Just know that if you do decide to stop and eat in your race, you won't be the only one who's done it.
2014-04-17 4:01 PM
in reply to: writingrunner

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I have one of these: http://www.trisports.com/speedfil-hydration-system.html

It holds 40 oz and has a straw that you can zip-tie to your bars.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinking and eating on the bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Some days I just eat eat eat

Started by chandy14ski
Views: 1951 Posts: 20

2010-07-30 2:36 AM ehughes

Back from a Cold Ride or Run, What do you drink/eat to Warm Up

Started by trinewby
Views: 1336 Posts: 25

2009-11-19 10:10 AM juniperjen

what to eat, drink after a workout?

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 1082 Posts: 6

2009-11-11 9:42 AM DJS

eating/drinking during running Pages: 1 2

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 2063 Posts: 27

2007-11-18 10:31 PM chirunner134

Balance on the bike - eating/drinking and also aerobars

Started by artk82
Views: 2914 Posts: 10

2007-01-02 10:25 AM KSH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 25, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?

date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!
date : September 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 1
Generally I bike for 1.5-2 hours, and by time I'm on my way home I'm shaky. When I get home I usually have a headache and am nauseated. What should I eat before or during my workout to prevent this?

date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.
date : May 19, 2008
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.

date : April 1, 2008
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.
date : February 7, 2008
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.

date : December 14, 2004
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 2
I used mine all of the time. They were handy, entitling me to drink, smoke cigarettes, binge on food and pursue other addictive behavior.