General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-17 4:14 PM

Subject: How much ?
Hello ! I'm training for the half of Calella, everything is ok, i'm fine.
But I'm planning the next races... I will have much less time to train; I will need to be very eficient.
Is there any "rule", to be sure to be able to complete a race ? For exemple "the same distance that the race should be done every week"...

I plan to do a lot of high intensity training, for short and longer races, to optimize the time spent training. But I want to be sure, with one or two long sessions, to hve the "base" to finish a race.
Thank you !

2014-04-17 4:55 PM
in reply to: Givan

Subject: RE: How much ?
Ha! If only it were so easy...

There are so many variables. Your current fitness, your athletic history, conditions on the day of the event, when you train, how well you recover, your age, etc...

Figuring out how to make best use of your time is perhaps the more relevant issue.
2014-04-17 5:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

like noted above, it's highly variable, depending on your intensity, allocation of training and goals.  

My personal rule of thumb- is about twice the distance of the race... per week.

ie- to run 13.1 miles, I think 26mpw is a good amount

to run 26 miles, 52 mpw is a good amount.

If you're racing 56mi on the bike leg, then if you get in 112mi/wk, you'll be able to come off that bike reasonably fresh.

Swimming- I'd probably go a little more than double.

of course, this isn't a static number each week.  you might have (and I'm thinking 70.3 distance numbers here) a big cycling week of 180mi while you are low on your running, and then do a 40mi run week with a lighter, 70mi cycling week.

analyze it all you want, but  I contend that 90% of endurance event performance comes down to consistency and volume.  all that periodicity and specific intervals and tasks... that's probably 10% of the value of your training.  A good coach or training plan will help you 'optimize' your training.  Just getting out there is what really counts.

Edited by morey000 2014-04-17 5:20 PM
2014-04-17 9:05 PM
in reply to: morey000

Originally posted by morey000

like noted above, it's highly variable, depending on your intensity, allocation of training and goals.  

My personal rule of thumb- is about twice the distance of the race... per week.

ie- to run 13.1 miles, I think 26mpw is a good amount

to run 26 miles, 52 mpw is a good amount.

If you're racing 56mi on the bike leg, then if you get in 112mi/wk, you'll be able to come off that bike reasonably fresh.

Swimming- I'd probably go a little more than double.

of course, this isn't a static number each week.  you might have (and I'm thinking 70.3 distance numbers here) a big cycling week of 180mi while you are low on your running, and then do a 40mi run week with a lighter, 70mi cycling week.

analyze it all you want, but  I contend that 90% of endurance event performance comes down to consistency and volume.  all that periodicity and specific intervals and tasks... that's probably 10% of the value of your training.  A good coach or training plan will help you 'optimize' your training.  Just getting out there is what really counts.

Everyone is going to have a different number based on their own experiences. For me, I would consider the Olympic low end minimum to be 20 miles per week running, 6000 yards swimming per week, and 65 miles biking. I'd say that is my minimum because I could maintain some fitness at those numbers, but probably wouldn't build much endurance or speed. Others would probably consider those numbers too low and some probably consider it high.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much ? Rss Feed