General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-04-21 4:54 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Boston

Originally posted by rick4657 Congrats to everyone that ran Boston today! The men's finish was fantastic, I was yelling "Go Meb Go!" at my computer over the last two miles. I am still surprised that the lead pack let Meb and Boit go when they did, especially since it was a fairly slow pace for several of the top runners. Great race by Shalane Flanagan too, even though she did not win she ran a three minute PR. It was just a very fast race this year, her 2:22:02 would have won by over four minutes last year. I wonder what happened to Ryan Hall. Hall was leading at the half and finished 9 minutes behind Meb in 10th place.

Ha! I was in the conference room at work yelling at the video conference monitor. Good thing everyone already knows I'm nuts.

2014-04-21 5:54 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by rick4657 Congrats to everyone that ran Boston today! The men's finish was fantastic, I was yelling "Go Meb Go!" at my computer over the last two miles. I am still surprised that the lead pack let Meb and Boit go when they did, especially since it was a fairly slow pace for several of the top runners. Great race by Shalane Flanagan too, even though she did not win she ran a three minute PR. It was just a very fast race this year, her 2:22:02 would have won by over four minutes last year. I wonder what happened to Ryan Hall. Hall was leading at the half and finished 9 minutes behind Meb in 10th place.

Ha! I was in the conference room at work yelling at the video conference monitor. Good thing everyone already knows I'm nuts.

Meb must have heard us because he opened up the lead when he headed down Boylston
2014-04-21 5:54 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
New York, NY
That was seriously the most painful thing I have ever done

crowds were amazing

not sure I ever want to run another one
2014-04-21 7:02 PM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by TriToy

crowds were amazing

That is exactly what I said when I ran it in 2012. Have not run another open marathon since. But, I am starting to get the itch.
2014-04-21 10:41 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

crowds were amazing

That's exactly what I said when I ran Boston (... in '96). Took me 16 years to do another. Then 16 months for the next one after that. Enjoy the satisfaction of what you just achieved, and don't worry about what comes next. You'll be back, I'm sure. Great work today!
2014-04-21 10:43 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by topolina

Well, it's official, Joan Benoit kicked butt and did herself more than proud at 56 years old in a time of 2:52:16 (obviously 1st in her age group, 59th in gender, and 1135 overall. This is 30 years after she won the first Women's Olympic Marathon. Not that she needs it, but if this was age-graded it would have been a 2:14:34. She is still my hero.

Wow, now *that* is impressive.

Not just because it's amazing for a lady of her age, but because she keeps coming back, when she could so easily have just rested on her laurels. She clearly simply loves doing this.

2014-04-22 12:26 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Brad missed sub-3 with a 3:02:07... but he still ran sub 7 minute miles for a marathon. AMAZING!

Thanks Elaine. I felt great coming out of Newton and through heartbrake up to BC. It all unfolded around 22 when I started feeling really bad. I still can't figure out how I ended up in medical hyponatremic given the conditions, my training locale and that I didn't deviate one moment from my solid nutrition plan but I suppose we all get a surprise. I'm still super happy with my race, the crowds were so amazing, the runners awesome, the course a cruel yet absolutely beautiful b!tch. Didn't hit my goal time but it's still an awesome PR and it should hopefully be enough that I don't have to run another marathon until April of '15 now. On to concentrating on HIMs, hopefully worlds and then a 50 miler in San Fran to round out the year  

2014-04-22 4:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by thebigb

Thanks Elaine. :) I felt great coming out of Newton and through heartbrake up to BC. It all unfolded around 22 when I started feeling really bad. I still can't figure out how I ended up in medical hyponatremic given the conditions, my training locale and that I didn't deviate one moment from my solid nutrition plan but I suppose we all get a surprise. I'm still super happy with my race, the crowds were so amazing, the runners awesome, the course a cruel yet absolutely beautiful b!tch. Didn't hit my goal time but it's still an awesome PR and it should hopefully be enough that I don't have to run another marathon until April of '15 now. On to concentrating on HIMs, hopefully worlds and then a 50 miler in San Fran to round out the year :

Wow - I'm impressed. You wound up in medical, and yet hours later you're talking about a 50-miler and coming back for more next year. Them's fighting words, sir.

Good to hear that you're ok -- I was following your splits -- and it sounds like you had a great day out there.

Edited by colinphillips 2014-04-22 4:39 AM
2014-04-22 7:35 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by trishie

Originally posted by trishie

Course record for Jeptoo!!!!!

SO FREAKING FAST!!!

Is that baby doing some speed work in there?!  You're next Trishie!!!

Next to win Boston? You are too kind !

Next to/soon to have me stalk you at Boston!

Soon - yes! My plan is to go for the BQ when I turn 35 (3 years from now)

2014-04-22 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Everyone says they won't do another! I remember saying that too, but I think I ran ten more, the last one about 20 years after the first. Not sure if I'm done with it for good or not. PB days are well behind me, and kind of feel like, "Been there, done that." To be honest, even though it was my best distance, the marathon always struck me as a bit too much of a good thing!

Great job on finishing! Wish there had been coverage here--sounds like a great race.
2014-04-22 7:59 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by colinphillips
Originally posted by thebigb Thanks Elaine. I felt great coming out of Newton and through heartbrake up to BC. It all unfolded around 22 when I started feeling really bad. I still can't figure out how I ended up in medical hyponatremic given the conditions, my training locale and that I didn't deviate one moment from my solid nutrition plan but I suppose we all get a surprise. I'm still super happy with my race, the crowds were so amazing, the runners awesome, the course a cruel yet absolutely beautiful b!tch. Didn't hit my goal time but it's still an awesome PR and it should hopefully be enough that I don't have to run another marathon until April of '15 now. On to concentrating on HIMs, hopefully worlds and then a 50 miler in San Fran to round out the year  
Wow - I'm impressed. You wound up in medical, and yet hours later you're talking about a 50-miler and coming back for more next year. Them's fighting words, sir. Good to hear that you're ok -- I was following your splits -- and it sounds like you had a great day out there.

I've always been a bit sadistic Heck, I'm currently trying to decide if I want to shoot for Rim2Rim2Rim solo by month's end or wait until October.  I had an amazingly fun day out there. Besides, how often do you get a chance to have pretty ladies hand feeding you potato chips and gatorade, Wellesley isn't the only place with the awesome ladies. 

2014-04-22 8:51 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Every last one of you did an awesome job. I can't believe the speed, strength and sheer will that I saw yesterday. Congratulations!

2014-04-22 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

crowds were amazing

I was the same way. Next year I did 3 marathons and 1 ultra marathon (50k).

First time always hurts the most unless you take a break from it for awhile.
2014-04-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
2014-04-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Seattle
Wow we have some amazing stalkers!! Niccccceee! Yeah, I was pretty sick the night before so I was forced to modify my pace a bit. Always a challenge but the benefit is that I can walk, run and sit on a toilet like a human today!
2014-04-22 3:40 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Asalzwed Wow we have some amazing stalkers!! Niccccceee! Yeah, I was pretty sick the night before so I was forced to modify my pace a bit. Always a challenge but the benefit is that I can walk, run and sit on a toilet like a human today!

Damn!  Ugh.  I am so, so sorry.  It is so hard to have sickness befall you right before a race. 

Your sick day still beats my PB :)  Nice job dearest. xo.

2014-04-22 5:05 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Wow we have some amazing stalkers!! Niccccceee! Yeah, I was pretty sick the night before so I was forced to modify my pace a bit. Always a challenge but the benefit is that I can walk, run and sit on a toilet like a human today!

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that setback for you. Though in other ways I'm a bit relieved, as it sounds like it wasn't your fitness deserting you, ... more like the rest of your body deserting you. I was worried as I followed your splits. So I'm sure you'll be back for a cracking marathon time before too long. (And you're still waaay under BQ, so you don't need to worry about that, if another trip to Beantown is in your future.) Hope you're feeling well soon.
2014-04-22 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Yep, I got to hook up with the infamous Salty. Regardless of finish times and goals, this is probably the best PR out there. It was short but she's every bit as cool and awesome as you would expect. 

2014-04-22 7:41 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by thebigb

Yep, I got to hook up with the infamous Salty. Regardless of finish times and goals, this is probably the best PR out there. It was short but she's every bit as cool and awesome as you would expect. 

For a minute there I thought this was the beer thread that's going on right now. The Rebel IPA in the background is a pretty good brew. "West Coast IPA" is just the kind of thing I'd expect you two to be drinking. ... Though in Salty's case I'd normally expect it to be the night before the race.
2014-04-22 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

So no tasting of the Rebel at Sam's but I made sure to have plenty after. Salty moved on to Harpoon which was my plan too until some person on the T decided to get me sick the other night. Blech.

2014-04-23 8:21 AM

User image

Thank you all for the kind words. I am Ron by the way. I was doing great to blow my PR away up until mile 22. I was going for a sub 3:20 and came through the hills feeling great and then the wheels came off. I have never cramped in a race before but I did Monday, I got one of those cramps in my left calf that wake you up from a dead sleep and almost went down. I had to stop and work it out but it kept coming back. I actually went to a med tent about mile 23.5 or it might have been 24.5 because I really needed something to drink and eat, I ate 6 gels during the race and was drinking at every aide station but it obviously was not enough. While getting some water and a banana there they want me to go into the tent and get checked out to which I replied thank you but absolutely not, I am just cramping and I will finish. So out I went and struggled with hopes of at least coming in under 3:30 so I could qualify for next year but that was not be either. I usually have a kick left for the last 1/2 mile but not Monday, I was hobbling badly as I crossed the line but it still felt so good.

I have no regrets at all, I ran the race as I had planned, maybe just a little faster than I should have but I really wanted the sub 3:20 there at Boston my PR is a 3:24 so I was being very aggressive. I said I was going to do it or blow up trying and I went boom. I am not using this as an excuse either, I was just coming off a bout of pneumonia, I was finally feeling well about two weeks out.

Now I have to find a race this summer to qualify at to return next year. I still have some unfinished business with the course. It has to be the summer because I am running a 24 hour race Memorial day weekend and I have a 100 miler in September. I also ran a 100 miler the 1st of February this year and the Tobacco Road marathon 6 weeks before Boston.

Good job to everyone from here who ran the marathon, the crowd energy was just amazing.

2014-04-23 8:57 AM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Here is photo after I finished with my oldest daughter on the right and her friend on the left. I love these gals. I also dye my beard red, white and blue for every race I do because I am retired from the US Navy and I feel patriotic.

(314.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
314.JPG (585KB - 5 downloads)
2014-04-23 9:19 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

That's a great pic Ron! 

Of all the courses to try to PR, you had to pick Boston?!  :)

Valiant attempt sir. I'm laughing imagining the med tent people trying to keep you there--haha, not likely!

2014-04-23 9:40 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by navbtcret Thank you all for the kind words. I am Ron by the way. I was doing great to blow my PR away up until mile 22. I was going for a sub 3:20 and came through the hills feeling great and then the wheels came off. I have never cramped in a race before but I did Monday, I got one of those cramps in my left calf that wake you up from a dead sleep and almost went down. I had to stop and work it out but it kept coming back. I actually went to a med tent about mile 23.5 or it might have been 24.5 because I really needed something to drink and eat, I ate 6 gels during the race and was drinking at every aide station but it obviously was not enough. While getting some water and a banana there they want me to go into the tent and get checked out to which I replied thank you but absolutely not, I am just cramping and I will finish. So out I went and struggled with hopes of at least coming in under 3:30 so I could qualify for next year but that was not be either. I usually have a kick left for the last 1/2 mile but not Monday, I was hobbling badly as I crossed the line but it still felt so good. I have no regrets at all, I ran the race as I had planned, maybe just a little faster than I should have but I really wanted the sub 3:20 there at Boston my PR is a 3:24 so I was being very aggressive. I said I was going to do it or blow up trying and I went boom. I am not using this as an excuse either, I was just coming off a bout of pneumonia, I was finally feeling well about two weeks out. Now I have to find a race this summer to qualify at to return next year. I still have some unfinished business with the course. It has to be the summer because I am running a 24 hour race Memorial day weekend and I have a 100 miler in September. I also ran a 100 miler the 1st of February this year and the Tobacco Road marathon 6 weeks before Boston. Good job to everyone from here who ran the marathon, the crowd energy was just amazing.

How are you feeling today?  Keep a close eye on how you are feeling.  Severe cramping and continuing to race through those cramps can potentially screw with your kidney.  I'm not saying it will with you but it is worth keeping a VERY close eye on it.  

2014-04-23 9:41 AM

New user
Key West
Originally posted by navbtcret

Thank you all for the kind words. I am Ron by the way. I was doing great to blow my PR away up until mile 22. I was going for a sub 3:20 and came through the hills feeling great and then the wheels came off. I have never cramped in a race before but I did Monday, I got one of those cramps in my left calf that wake you up from a dead sleep and almost went down. I had to stop and work it out but it kept coming back. I actually went to a med tent about mile 23.5 or it might have been 24.5 because I really needed something to drink and eat, I ate 6 gels during the race and was drinking at every aide station but it obviously was not enough. While getting some water and a banana there they want me to go into the tent and get checked out to which I replied thank you but absolutely not, I am just cramping and I will finish. So out I went and struggled with hopes of at least coming in under 3:30 so I could qualify for next year but that was not be either. I usually have a kick left for the last 1/2 mile but not Monday, I was hobbling badly as I crossed the line but it still felt so good.

I have no regrets at all, I ran the race as I had planned, maybe just a little faster than I should have but I really wanted the sub 3:20 there at Boston my PR is a 3:24 so I was being very aggressive. I said I was going to do it or blow up trying and I went boom. I am not using this as an excuse either, I was just coming off a bout of pneumonia, I was finally feeling well about two weeks out.

Now I have to find a race this summer to qualify at to return next year. I still have some unfinished business with the course. It has to be the summer because I am running a 24 hour race Memorial day weekend and I have a 100 miler in September. I also ran a 100 miler the 1st of February this year and the Tobacco Road marathon 6 weeks before Boston.

Good job to everyone from here who ran the marathon, the crowd energy was just amazing.

Sorry to read about your problems with cramping. Hopefully you figure out why it happened so your upcoming races will go smoother. If you are looking for a fast and well organized summer marathon you should try Grandma's Marathon in Minnesota. I am not sure whether or not it is full, but that would be a good one.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Boston Area Master's?

Started by BrianPBN
Views: 697 Posts: 1

2004-12-16 12:25 PM BrianPBN

Possible to run 4:00 Boston with 30mpw?

Started by Yoshiko
Views: 1424 Posts: 14

2014-04-22 8:27 AM Sidney Porter

boston tufts 10K

Started by nikki
Views: 537 Posts: 1

2004-10-12 9:14 AM nikki

Boston area peeps

Started by TriMom217
Views: 851 Posts: 7

2004-04-28 8:40 AM TriMom217

Boston Marathon

Started by TriMom217
Views: 723 Posts: 4

2004-04-15 7:42 AM LJSChicago
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.