Set Up Events
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 12s
Overall Rank = 23/124
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:45 and tried to find motivation but it had been raining hard since 4pm the day before and had 50% chance to rain all day long. not very motivated but ate the normal steel cut oats and coffee and drove to the course with the wife (she was also racing the sprint), dropped everything off at t2 and caught the bus to t1. pumped up tires, set up transition, then headed over to the race start. took 2 O2 gold pills and 4 anti-fatigue caps. Also, the "no-see-um" bugs were biting hard the only thing that stopped them was the wetsuit.
Event warmup:

didn't get any warmup in because it took longer to get a double setup than anticipated.
Swim
  • 10m 28s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Tried to come out fast, started in the front of group because swim has been strong this year, about 125m into the swim I tried to slow a bit because my pace was fast and my breathing was out of control however, instead of a breathe of air I gulped water. This cost me pretty bad because I lost control and breast stroked for 25m until I could regain breathing. The rest of the swim was good but mentally I was defeated and just couldn't wait to get to the bike.
What would you do differently?:

More practice in the wetsuit, only practice swim was Thursday in neighborhood pool.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Used the strippers to get the suit off quickly. Got changed and into the bike segment that I was really looking forward to. I had to store my bike shoes at my wife bike rack because I forgot a towel to wipe my feet on but she was only 4 racks up so it really didn't hurt. Really proud of my running mount that I learned this year,coming out of T1 there were 8 people struggling at the mount line, I ran jumped on the bike and left all of them.

remember a towel of my own to get the dirt off my feet.
Bike
  • 35m 46s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Plan was to go all out on the bike. After what I had deemed as a 15 minute swim, I went all out on the bike. Several times I had to come out of aero because I couldn't breathe due to pushing to hard. The cross winds seemed to be in your face both ways. Took a gu as soon as bike started and right before I got off the bike.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Got into t2 and a guy was blocking my bike rack as he struggled to put on his shoes. decided to toss sunglasses but they flopped into the main path and had to go back and pick them up.

nothing
Run
  • 20m 6s
  • 2.85 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I pushed as hard as I could running 7/mile pace. I enjoyed running through the puddles, my zoot ali'i's drained the water great and didn't cost me any time. many competitiors tried to run around the water by running on the road and muddy grass. at 2.25 miles I was passed by a guy in my age group, I tried to hang with him but could not. with.33 left my wife gave me a high five and I sprinted in finishing 3rd in age 5 seconds behind 2nd place.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some coke and water, tried to jog out to Melissa to route her on but had no gas in the tank. After she finished we walked around for 2 miles while I puked up all the coke and water I drank. The motto for the race was "blow up or throw up!" I didn't blow up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

should have warmed up and mentally was not there on the swim or bike.

Event comments:

Overall great race, they took all feedback from last year and made it better. Events went off a few minutes late as they had to create a new half course because some road were under water. They filled all the potholes a few days before the race. Police support was awesome.

Last updated: 2014-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:28 | 500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 43/124
Performance: Average
Suit: nineteen frequency
Course: triangle in the koa pond
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:46 | 13 miles | 21.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 13/124
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: out and back from KOA to the elementary school.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:06 | 02.85 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 29/124
Course: course was out and back along the paved path except for the parts the were under construction which cause a detour through the woods. This detour caused the course to only be 2.85 miles long. 5% of the course was under water due to heavy rains.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-20 7:41 AM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: TryCharleston Sprint
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TryCharleston Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TryCharleston Sprint

Started by melanfi
Views: 1131 Posts: 2

2012-04-22 12:19 PM Tripopo

TryCharleston Sprint

Started by JLancaster11
Views: 1112 Posts: 1

2011-04-30 5:17 PM JLancaster11

TryCharleston Sprint

Started by jlhoward
Views: 1154 Posts: 2

2010-05-05 10:59 AM b2673ad

TryCharleston Sprint

Started by pfusc
Views: 1031 Posts: 1

2010-05-02 10:32 PM pfusc

TryCharleston Sprint

Started by b2673ad
Views: 1670 Posts: 5

2010-05-03 8:51 AM Leegoocrap
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.