General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
Total Time = 6h 28m 51s
Overall Rank = 1150/1423
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 166/178
Pre-race routine:

Had some frosted donuts, coffee and a cliff bar (Breakfast of champions). Headed out and parked around 5:45 and had some trouble catching a ahuttle to the transistion area. They actually stopped running from the place I parked and a crowd of us had to walk to another location to get picked up. It made so we were kinda late getting to the transition. I felt kind of rushed but managed to get my stuff set up and then catch another shuttle to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Didn't run or anything. I got in the water and did about 5 minutes of swimming, stretched and just got myself mentally prepared for the start. Had a little moment with the lake and made peace with it. It was a picture perfect morning so I tried to enjoy that and take in the atmosphere as well.
Swim
  • 41m 46s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was great for me. The water was a nice temp and not too choppy, just some rolling waves. I felt really comfortable in the water. I took my time and didn't push too hard. I just wanted to be comfortable. I remember somewhere in the middle thinking, I could do this all day. I'm thinking that means I may not have been pushing as hard as I should have.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I will definatly go for a faster time. Work on my breathing and relaxing in the water. My breathing was pretty good for the first part and then I got back into it at the end.
Transition 1
  • 07m 34s
Comments:

I really took my time here cause I wanted to make sure I had all the stuff I would need on the ride. I'd rather take an extra couple minutes here than suffer on the bike because I forgot something.

Speed things up a little.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed the bike leg and the volunteers handing off the water bottles were real pros. I grabbed a bottle of gatorade at one hand off location and was putting it in the holder underneath my seat, it slipped and went into my back wheel and then shot out the side. It was the wierdest thing. Scared the crap out of me cause I thought I was on a one way trip over the handle bars but there wasn't even damage done to the spokes. My nutrition was pretty good. I had 2 water bottles of perpetuem and the bento box full of gel shots, clif bars, a couple fig newtons, e-caps, and jelly beans. I gotta tell ya the jelly bellys, for some reason, was the best tasting stuff in the world on that bike. I'll definately have those again. I could feel myself getting some gas pains around mile 35 or so. Nothing to severe but that's when I stopped with the clif bars. I think it's the soy or something, but it gives me a nice bout with the gas. All in all I was happy with the bike. I could have gone faster and I know I will the next time I do it.

Bike a little faster. I took two potty stops which added some minutes to my time.
Transition 2
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

I felt pretty good about this one considering it includes a trip to the port o potty.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 32m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great in the first couple miles, but really really really slowed down after about 4 miles. I think I was being ultra cautious with this being my first half IM that I almost scaled it back too much. I walked the water stops which was my original plan. I pretty much just walked until I could drain the cup of water I had as well as having a few sips of gatorade. So I know that added to my time as well. I had a gu at mile 5 but after that the thought of gu or any kind of solid food made me feel like I might toss my cookies. I didn't really feel bad or anything but I just had the little gag reflex at the thought of another gu. I did have some grapes at a couple stops though. The last few miles were a real test of mind over matter. It was just time to put your head down and put yourself on auto pilot. The people cheering were great, especially the cowbells. That really really helped push me along. And then came the best sound in the world.......I could hear the announcer welcoming in the finishers. That put a little spring in my step. I crossed the finish line and there was my sister snapping pictures and then theres me trying to hold it together. I had to take a little walk before my sister could get to me, so I could just let out a few tears. I was overwhelmed. Completely overwhelmed. I friggin finished it. Holy crap how did I just do that? It was amazing and I'll never forget that feeling.

Run faster. Train better.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really do a whole lot of warm down stuff. I should have stretched but I didn't. It just didn't occur to me what with all the joy of finishing. I got in line for some food and this was the only real downside of the race. The food at the end. Pizza Hut was one of the sponsors so of course they had lots of pizza. It just wasn't my thing after a race. Too salty. Then they had garlic bread. Once again way to salty. Then I though I'd try some wings but they were really spicy and on a hot day after I've just come in from a 13 mile run, spicy wings are not very refreshing. So, I had a few bites of food but ended up throwing the rest away.
I spent time with a couple friends who did the race too and my sister who came up from Chicago just to see her big brother finish. We chatted for a while and then I packed up my gear and biked back to my car with my medal proudly hanging from my neck!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did this race very cautiously because I just wanted to see if I could finish. I held myself back a lot for fear of completely hitting a wall on the run. Now I know the HIM is doable for me and next year I plan to kick a little tail. I think I can only improve from my time this year.

Event comments:

What a great race. Soooo well organized. The only problem I had was the food and that's just me being finicky. It was a beautiful course and definately plan to do this next year.
The volunteers rocked. They were soooo incredibly nice and supportive. It was also a picture perfect day so for my first race, I couldn't have hoped for anything better.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:46 | 2310 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/178
Overall: 0/1423
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point course starting with a jump off a pier. Kinda fun.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:08 | 56 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Great course. Very scenic. There were some hills but nothing that was too bad.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:32:34 | 13.1 miles | 11m 39s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: The course was like a maze. It went up and over the same bridge a bunch of different times and you always saw people running the other way and also on the other side of the bridge so you didn't know what mile anyone else was on. It was very exposed to the sun too other than a small section through a residential area.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-09 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

2006-08-09 8:43 AM
in reply to: #506368

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

Congrats, dude.  Sounds like you had a great race.  That swim sounds like nirvana.  I love the line "made peace with the lake".  So apropos.

You raced the race the way you wanted to so I'd say you hit your goals.  Nice job.

If you liked the cowbells, you'll like PP.  My kids will be armed with them.  Now you HAVE to meet up with me on Sat sometime so they can meet you and know when you come by!

MORE COWBELL!!!!

2006-08-09 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Congratulations on your first HIM completion!  You did awesome!

I concur that the food wasn't very good at the end.  I took maybe 2 bites of it before my stomach revolted.  I ended up throwing away a lot of it.

Very cool that your sister was there to watch you finish.  Glad that you had a great time.  Good luck with the next one!

2006-08-09 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great Race. Congratulations!! I haven't decided which 1/2 IM I will do next year, but this one is on the list (Rockman - Rockford, and Spirit of Racine are the others).

I will be at PP, as well. Hopefully, I will meet you there.

Great accomplishment!!!
2006-08-09 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Great race!

I was looking for some fruit at the food tent instead of the pizza etc.

Be proud of your medal and what it represents!
2006-08-09 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago
Congratulations, this is a great accomplishment.  The run was really really hot, but you have great attitude.

2006-08-09 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Thanks you guys for the props. That's what I absolutely love about this site. The support.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed