General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fear of riding after accident Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-20 4:25 PM

Veteran
Subject: Fear of riding after accident
Morning all...

Came off my bike in early Feb, broke my collar bone, had it repaired with a plate. Been kind of tough recovering. Tried some running, but ITB issues with my legs as my posture and gait has changed....trying to ease back in with short runs and stretching.

Then...took my bike out for the fist spin in over two months. Never been that great with the bike as I only learnt to ride about 4 years ago as the age of 44. I stood on the bike path trying to take off - but couldn't...just had a fear of trusting two wheels.

Wasn't going to give up so I found a bit of grass to start practing again....slowly got better and then tried again on the path...it was on and off....

I feel like the accident and two months has taken me back almost 4 years with bike confidence. I'm not worried about strength...just skill and fear...

Anyone else relate to this?

2014-04-20 6:50 PM
in reply to: getfitfast

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Fear of riding after accident

I had a bad crash a few years ago and was scared to death when I tried riding again.  For a while I even consdidered giving it up entirely. 

It took me a month or so to gradually get my confidence back. 

Best advice I can offer is to just take it easy at first and rebuild your confidence.

Mark

2014-04-20 7:50 PM

I'm this way with the swim. 27 years ago I was taken to sea by an undertow in the Pacific Ocean. I was a strong swimmer at the time, but I was not experienced with the Ocean. I was just swimming along, looked up and couldn't believe how far away I was, I panicked, I tried to swim back to shore, but I was getting nowhere. This, of course, caused me to panic even more. I was barely keeping my head above the waves by the time help arrived. Thank goodness my father is a very good swimmer and there was a surfer near by, or I might be have been fish food.

I didn't realize it until I started training for my first triathlon later this year, but I don't think I have actually swam since that summer in HS. Whenever I start free stroke, I lose my ability to control my breathing. I still can't swim 25 yards of free stroke. I can swim the distance I need to for my upcoming events, but as of today, I'll only make the first 25 yards free stroke, if I'm lucky.

Keep working at it, and talk about your fears. They are real, and if you try to suppress them, they'll win. I'm working with a good swimmer I know who is helping me. I don't know how well I'll do in the swim, but I'm not going to let my fear stop me.

2014-04-20 7:59 PM

User image

over a barrier
Broke my cb and plated in Aug. I was cleared to race in October and the first cross race I was tentative. The second race, I crashed, and was okay mentally after that...I realized I will crash a lot more and will be okay. Just stopped thinking about it.

The uneasy feeling will get better each ride
2014-04-20 9:18 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Got cut off on my bike and got a few stitches in Fall of 2012, a month later went over my handlebars and separated my left shoulder. While it healed I bought a trainer and after that have rarely ridden on the open road again. Most of my on-bike time is on a rails-to-trails paved path. No traffic, no more accidents.
2014-04-20 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by getfitfast

Morning all...

Came off my bike in early Feb, broke my collar bone, had it repaired with a plate. Been kind of tough recovering. Tried some running, but ITB issues with my legs as my posture and gait has changed....trying to ease back in with short runs and stretching.

Then...took my bike out for the fist spin in over two months. Never been that great with the bike as I only learnt to ride about 4 years ago as the age of 44. I stood on the bike path trying to take off - but couldn't...just had a fear of trusting two wheels.

Wasn't going to give up so I found a bit of grass to start practing again....slowly got better and then tried again on the path...it was on and off....

I feel like the accident and two months has taken me back almost 4 years with bike confidence. I'm not worried about strength...just skill and fear...

Anyone else relate to this?

I crashed. While at IM LP. Training camp. 6 weeks before the race.. I went from 30 mph to 0 in 1 second. On the Keene Descent.
Stiches, road rash and a ambulance ride out.
Knowing I had to do this descent twice in the race I went back 3 weeks before the race and faced the demon again.
I conquered twice in training And twice during the race .

Get back on the horse it helps!!

2014-04-20 9:38 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Yup, I can relate. I had a collarbone break on the bike in 2010, and since then I've done almost all of my biking on the trainer. It didn't take too long to get more confident riding outside ... I just wasn't so inclined to do it after the crash.
2014-04-20 9:41 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Pro

Buy a cheap mountain bike and find some trails.....your handling and confidence will increase exponentially.

2014-04-20 10:06 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Buy a cheap mountain bike and find some trails.....your handling and confidence will increase exponentially.

I like this. fall in love with biking again first. I had a bad crash on my mt bike, but I knew it was my fault (decided to do that one extra loop in the dark), but crashing when it is your fault is easier to deal with then a road bike. I was also nailed by a truck that ran a stop sign - that took a long time to get over, and honestly, I am still not really over it, but the way I see it, who cares if I don't go as fast when I see potential danger any more. It's training - you don't need to go balls to the wall the whole ride, but I agree with the mt bike suggestion
2014-04-21 12:12 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

I went over the handlebars last year and broke both arms, and to make matters worse this was a long way from home in a remote part of a country with not-all-that-awesome medical facilities. Got back on the bike about 5 months later and was really nervous at first. The only things that helped, really, were time and persistence. I'm still not back where I was before in terms of confidence, but I'm a lot better now.

The MTB trick sounds interesting. Whatever you do, I think the best thing is to keep at it but recognise that you don't have to push yourself straight away, and baby steps are totally fine. Good luck!
2014-04-21 1:15 AM
in reply to: mangobingo

Veteran
Originally posted by mangobingo

I went over the handlebars last year and broke both arms, and to make matters worse this was a long way from home in a remote part of a country with not-all-that-awesome medical facilities. Got back on the bike about 5 months later and was really nervous at first. The only things that helped, really, were time and persistence. I'm still not back where I was before in terms of confidence, but I'm a lot better now.

The MTB trick sounds interesting. Whatever you do, I think the best thing is to keep at it but recognise that you don't have to push yourself straight away, and baby steps are totally fine. Good luck!

Thanks guys...this really helps. I wasn't the most confident rider at the best of times.....avoided open roads and never rode in traffic. Always struggled with drinking and feeding on the bike....but coped. Having come of the bike...I didn't expect I would go so far back in confidence. It is what it is...just gotta deal with it....

I got out for the second time again....used my trainers instead of bike shoes and rode on the grass in the park and then a bit on a short track. I seem to have lost my confidence is just kicking off....can't seem to trust the two wheels. Once I'm off....I feel ok...

LOL...always been a bit of a scardy cat......

2014-04-21 6:11 AM

New user
Key West
Originally posted by getfitfast

Originally posted by mangobingo

Thanks guys...this really helps. I wasn't the most confident rider at the best of times.....avoided open roads and never rode in traffic. Always struggled with drinking and feeding on the bike....but coped. Having come of the bike...I didn't expect I would go so far back in confidence. It is what it is...just gotta deal with it....

I got out for the second time again....used my trainers instead of bike shoes and rode on the grass in the park and then a bit on a short track. I seem to have lost my confidence is just kicking off....can't seem to trust the two wheels. Once I'm off....I feel ok...

LOL...always been a bit of a scardy cat......

All very natural. Like the others who have posted and yourself, had a bad accident myself. I too have never been a strong or super confident cyclist in traffic and like someone else said, I now spend more time on the trainer and less time on the road. If you can find bike dedicated trails, that wold be ideal. Hang in there, it will get better. Hope your gait/body issues straighten out so you can run.
2014-04-21 7:16 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

I can't relate to it but I wish you well. Hopefully with some time the confidence will return and you'll be better than ever!

2014-04-21 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

The mental healing after a crash can take far longer than the physical.

Many years ago, when I was doing a lot of bike racing, I dropped into a MTB race. They started on a track, and it was a 300m sprint to the single track. I got caught in a bad crash in that 300m, and broke my collar bone. That one event in May killed my entire season.

But I found that, the next year, I would get nervous whenever there were riders on both sides of me. I'd just kinda freak out, soft pedal, and soon find myself at the back of the pack. I'd work my way back up the outside, get to the front, then get swallowed again and sent to the back.

It took me about 3 years to finally shed those demons to where I was comfortable in the middle of the pack, where I could rub elbows again on both sides and not freak out.

Stay with it, get back on the horse, but give yourself time. It's okay.

2014-04-26 6:55 PM
in reply to: #4984184

Had a bad crash last summer that resulted in a broken elbow-not fun. Bounced off a curb and did the old asphalt slide game. I am definitely more aware when I clip in than I was before of every little bump in the road and do freak out a touch when I get passed by a semi- the original crash occurred when a big truck swerved into the bike lane and that along with the vacuum force literally threw my skinny butt in the air. You just have to get back out there- a little wiser and with a couple of cool scars- chicks dig scars anyway!
2014-04-27 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I've had 2 crashes resulting in a broken scapula, collarbone, and 2 ribs. I found it helped to get out of my aerobars when conditions are less than ideal, including high cross winds, rough pavement, and limited or no shoulder on the road when cars about to pass. I also stay a little more away from the edge of the road when possible to ensure I don't accidentally slide off the road.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fear of riding after accident Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

help with some riding fear

Started by Bodaggit
Views: 1650 Posts: 18

2012-09-08 6:40 AM tasr

Faced my fear and did my first group ride

Started by lamb_y2003
Views: 867 Posts: 6

2011-05-01 5:23 PM croixfan

Car Accident Today - Long Bike Ride Tomorrow?

Started by tri2692
Views: 975 Posts: 5

2010-05-15 9:10 PM JZig

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ride carefully - tragic accident

Started by tri42
Views: 1547 Posts: 4

2007-10-28 12:50 PM globalchaos

fearing the swim

Started by funkeegato
Views: 1315 Posts: 6

2003-10-03 5:25 AM Katrina
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.
date : April 24, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : October 4, 2006
author : dleii
At some point I remember thinking about the movie CAPE FEAR. This is what it seemed like when I was around a lot of people. It was just a lot of commotion of waves, arms and feet.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 1
Good memories are crucial to your success in the water. Trying to swim laps before you are comfortable in the water is likely to reinforce your anxiety, so avoid the white-knuckle approach.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.