Subject: Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3

2014-04-21 12:11 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3
This would be an amazing 70.3 race.

It was an amazing 140.6 too, but really, really hard. But you already knew that.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this race go the way of St. George and become a 70.3 only. Time will tell.
2014-04-21 12:16 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster This would be an amazing 70.3 race. It was an amazing 140.6 too, but really, really hard. But you already knew that. Sounds like a good idea to me. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this race go the way of St. George and become a 70.3 only. Time will tell.

Yup, sounds to me like a way of bowing out of IM LT and saving face by keeping the half.

2014-04-21 1:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Orange County, California
The weather is still the major issue for me. I have asthma and don't know if I can risk swimming in 20-40 degree weather in extremely cold water. Granted I am sure the water wouldn't be that bad once you're in, but the outside temp is just a little too much. Damn lungs!

Edited by markowma 2014-04-21 1:50 PM
2014-04-21 3:17 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by wannabefaster This would be an amazing 70.3 race. It was an amazing 140.6 too, but really, really hard. But you already knew that. Sounds like a good idea to me. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this race go the way of St. George and become a 70.3 only. Time will tell.

Yup, sounds to me like a way of bowing out of IM LT and saving face by keeping the half.

I thought the same thing when I saw the announcement this morning. Still... I think I just changed from Volunteer to Participant for September!
2014-04-21 3:42 PM
in reply to: markowma

User image

Veteran

Getting into the water was a blessing at Tahoe - ice cold sand was miserable waiting to get in. The air temp was around 35 degrees by race time (but had to clean off some ice off the bike when I got there ~5:00 am.) The water temp I would guess was 65 degrees but perhaps a little cooler, in any case it was fantastic to get in again compared to the beach.

The second issue was getting out of the water - it took until halfway between Squaw and Truckee for my feet to warmup. And I loved the day as it was a challenge in every way possible. It is discouraging they are changing the course, adding in a 70.3 to subsidize the full and probably we'll see the Full disappear in a year or two - like St. George is no longer a full. WTC won't support monetarily a truly tough course.

2014-04-21 3:49 PM
in reply to: cialome

User image

Yea STG not being a full still breaks my heart I always dreamed of doing it one day (I'm from Saint George), don't get me wrong I love the half but I wish I had the chance to do the full.

Tahoe is interesting I would never have considered doing it as a full but would consider it as a half. The logistics to get there coupled with the very hard course made CDA, Boulder and Arizona more enticing.
2014-04-21 5:55 PM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Like others have mentioned, with this announcement, the writing is on the wall that this will become a 70.3 race only...... Whoever thought that any race at 6-7K elevation in late September was a good idea, was pitifully ignorant of mountain weather........
2014-04-21 6:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by soretaint Like others have mentioned, with this announcement, the writing is on the wall that this will become a 70.3 race only...... Whoever thought that any race at 6-7K elevation in late September was a good idea, was pitifully ignorant of mountain weather........

70.3 on the same date will have the same weather, though.  I noticed that the nearby Donner Lake tri has added a 1/2 distance race in late July -- less likely to see snow that time of year, but might face a heat wave, instead.

Edited by SevenZulu 2014-04-21 6:27 PM
2014-04-21 6:58 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Hmmm. Intriguing.
2014-04-21 6:58 PM
in reply to: cialome

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by cialome

Getting into the water was a blessing at Tahoe - ice cold sand was miserable waiting to get in. The air temp was around 35 degrees by race time (but had to clean off some ice off the bike when I got there ~5:00 am.) The water temp I would guess was 65 degrees but perhaps a little cooler, in any case it was fantastic to get in again compared to the beach.

The second issue was getting out of the water - it took until halfway between Squaw and Truckee for my feet to warmup. And I loved the day as it was a challenge in every way possible. It is discouraging they are changing the course, adding in a 70.3 to subsidize the full and probably we'll see the Full disappear in a year or two - like St. George is no longer a full. WTC won't support monetarily a truly tough course.

I agree with your comments on the water, getting warm after the water, and the general challenge of the day. This is the hardest race I have ever done. It is not even close. I would like to go back one day and do it again to try to "beat" the course because it sure beat the heck out of me last year.

I don't necessarily agree with your comments about WTC. Or I agree that they are true but don't understand why this is WTC's issue. I think triathletes won't support, monetarily, a truly tough course. The pool of folks who want to do a course like this may not be enough to support a 140.6 race. No shame in that.

I don't work at a loss and I don't expect WTC to either. If there were enough people signing up to make this fiscally feasable then it would continue to exist as a full IM. If there aren't, then it won't. WTC is in the business of putting on great triathlons, but not at a loss.

2014-04-21 7:03 PM
in reply to: EV3110

Master
, California

I wouldn't count the full out just yet, but WTC is probably hedging their bets.  But with California having a huge number of triathletes, I think IMLT will still draw more people each year than St. George did.

One of the problems at IMLT was getting enough volunteers, so maybe they just want to draw more people out there.

2014-04-21 7:03 PM

User image

. I don't necessarily agree with your comments about WTC. Or I agree that they are true but don't understand why this is WTC's issue. I think triathletes won't support, monetarily, a truly tough course. The pool of folks who want to do a course like this may not be enough to support a 140.6 race. No shame in that. I don't work at a loss and I don't expect WTC to either. If there were enough people signing up to make this fiscally feasable then it would continue to exist as a full IM. If there aren't, then it won't. WTC is in the business of putting on great triathlons, but not at a loss.

This.  IM Canada isn't sold out yet, it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever raced and the couse is not that hard (relatively, if you train for it).  But IMAZ, which is an armpit course (apologies to anyone who like it, not my cup of tea), sells out in seconds.

2014-04-21 7:30 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

. I don't necessarily agree with your comments about WTC. Or I agree that they are true but don't understand why this is WTC's issue. I think triathletes won't support, monetarily, a truly tough course. The pool of folks who want to do a course like this may not be enough to support a 140.6 race. No shame in that. I don't work at a loss and I don't expect WTC to either. If there were enough people signing up to make this fiscally feasable then it would continue to exist as a full IM. If there aren't, then it won't. WTC is in the business of putting on great triathlons, but not at a loss.

This.  IM Canada isn't sold out yet, it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever raced and the couse is not that hard (relatively, if you train for it).  But IMAZ, which is an armpit course (apologies to anyone who like it, not my cup of tea), sells out in seconds.

I'm racing AZ this year (wanted something flat after Tahoe last year) and I keep asking myself why I signed up for such a boring, ugly race when there are so many fantastic, beautiful races out there. I don't have a good answer but I do know that this will be my last time at AZ. From here on out I will be racing at places like Tahoe or Canada or LP or CDA. Out and back on a highway just isn't that interesting....
2014-04-21 7:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster

I'm racing AZ this year (wanted something flat after Tahoe last year) and I keep asking myself why I signed up for such a boring, ugly race when there are so many fantastic, beautiful races out there. I don't have a good answer but I do know that this will be my last time at AZ. From here on out I will be racing at places like Tahoe or Canada or LP or CDA. Out and back on a highway just isn't that interesting....

The desert can be beautiful, i.e. the roads around Lake Mead are simply awe inspiring.  But riding past the dump three times, yeah... no

2014-04-22 7:53 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by SevenZulu

Originally posted by soretaint Like others have mentioned, with this announcement, the writing is on the wall that this will become a 70.3 race only...... Whoever thought that any race at 6-7K elevation in late September was a good idea, was pitifully ignorant of mountain weather........

70.3 on the same date will have the same weather, though.  I noticed that the nearby Donner Lake tri has added a 1/2 distance race in late July -- less likely to see snow that time of year, but might face a heat wave, instead.

The weather in late September in Tahoe is just too unpredictable and likely to be cold....I'm just as unlikely to do a 70.3 there as I am a 140.6, but if it were in August, it'd be a whole different story.  Based on reading race reports from last year, it seemed that most people struggled due to weather concerns (and a way too small change tent) more so than elevation or (inherent) course difficulty.

2014-04-22 10:48 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

I'm from the desert I see the desert enough I have little desire to do Arizona but that was more because I have zero desire to train for a November ironman in the desert summer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Lake Tahoe adds 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 FL or Ironman 70.3 Eagleman?

Started by drcherrybomb21
Views: 1571 Posts: 8

2011-11-01 12:58 PM drcherrybomb21

Lake Stevens Washington IRONMAN 70.3 RELAY

Started by bmccpa
Views: 1555 Posts: 14

2011-08-09 10:30 AM lostinT2

Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

Started by LSU25
Views: 1036 Posts: 11

2008-11-19 10:46 AM djluscher

Lake Tahoe Triathlon - 9/17

Started by slow&steady
Views: 574 Posts: 2

2005-08-16 8:38 PM slow&steady

Altitude and performance - Lake Tahoe Tri

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1034 Posts: 12

2005-06-19 11:00 PM slow&steady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.