Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you think she ran or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2014-04-28 2:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Do you think she ran or not?

I guess what is so confounding is that we've worked together for years, we were on the same team for a 184 mile relay last summer, and she's now repeatedly talked to me in person about the marathon--both two days prior when we were commiserating on the taper process--and then after about how sore we were.  The ease in which she went along with the story is amazing.  I've never known anyone like this.

2014-04-28 3:32 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I guess what is so confounding is that we've worked together for years, we were on the same team for a 184 mile relay last summer, and she's now repeatedly talked to me in person about the marathon--both two days prior when we were commiserating on the taper process--and then after about how sore we were.  The ease in which she went along with the story is amazing.  I've never known anyone like this.

Maybe she bailed on doing it at the last minute, for whatever reason, and doesn't have the b@lls to say she bailed? All and all it sounds really bizarre. If she had run it, when you told her that her splits weren't there, you would think she would have been more upset about it. Shoot, I would have gone to look at that very moment just to verify you were right! 

She sounds like an interesting character! Ha! 

2014-04-28 4:01 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Tell her that you saw her FB post about the race in September. Then you can enter it with her and cyber-stalk her for the next four months and keep us posted!

2014-04-28 4:07 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Sensei
Sin City

IMO, to play devils advocate and go against the pathological liar theory - she probably bailed at the last second for perhaps an embarrassing reason (wanted to sleep in or was scared or didn't do as much training and couldn't do it), and instead of saying she was just lazy or didn't feel like AFTER talking it up the whole time just figured it would be easier to just lie about it.  That's not at all unusual I suppose.  Lying about it might have been easier than trying to explain why she didn't do it and answer all the questions she would get - especially after all the hype.  She said all the buzz words I'm sure.  Life changing, challenging, amazing... 

BUT, she ran into a savvy runner/triathlete that did some internet investigating and NOW she is so far in the hole of lies/deception, it's even MORE uncomfortable to say "yeah, I was lying the whole time about doing it".  She probably hoped people would just accept her story and move on...  Nope.

I base that example on how I might act.  If I had talked about doing a race for months and months, then bailed because I didn't feel like it the morning of a race?  How do you face all those people you told you were doing it?  (If that important to you).  I can see making it up being an option to some.  Personally, I would bite the bullet and say I just wasn't feeling well the morning of the race and bailed and deal with the people (again, if I cared what they thought). 

I think there are a lot worse things someone could do than lie about running a race...  as hard as it is for a runner/triathlete to imagine though!

2014-04-28 4:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Kido

IMO, to play devils advocate and go against the pathological liar theory - she probably bailed at the last second for perhaps an embarrassing reason (wanted to sleep in or was scared or didn't do as much training and couldn't do it), and instead of saying she was just lazy or didn't feel like AFTER talking it up the whole time just figured it would be easier to just lie about it.  That's not at all unusual I suppose.  Lying about it might have been easier than trying to explain why she didn't do it and answer all the questions she would get - especially after all the hype.  She said all the buzz words I'm sure.  Life changing, challenging, amazing... 

BUT, she ran into a savvy runner/triathlete that did some internet investigating and NOW she is so far in the hole of lies/deception, it's even MORE uncomfortable to say "yeah, I was lying the whole time about doing it".  She probably hoped people would just accept her story and move on...  Nope.

I base that example on how I might act.  If I had talked about doing a race for months and months, then bailed because I didn't feel like it the morning of a race?  How do you face all those people you told you were doing it?  (If that important to you).  I can see making it up being an option to some.  Personally, I would bite the bullet and say I just wasn't feeling well the morning of the race and bailed and deal with the people (again, if I cared what they thought). 

I think there are a lot worse things someone could do than lie about running a race...  as hard as it is for a runner/triathlete to imagine though!

Lol! Were you eavesdropping!?  That is word for word what she said!!!Absolutely there are worse things to lie about but I'm fascinated with the whole charade.  Months ago she told me she registered and started training but there is no record of her even registering, DNS or otherwise so I wonder if she even registered months ago when she said she did. 

I really don't want to sound obsessed about this, although I fear I sound like I am!  Like I said I'm just fascinated by the whole charade of it.

Edited by ingleshteechur 2014-04-28 4:20 PM
2014-04-28 4:23 PM

User image

Pro

Lol! Were you eavesdropping!?  That is word for word what she said!!!Absolutely there are worse things to lie about but I'm fascinated with the whole charade.  Months ago she told me she registered and started training but there is no record of her even registering, DNS or otherwise so I wonder if she even registered months ago when she said she did. 

I really don't want to sound obsessed about this, although I fear I sound like I am!  Like I said I'm just fascinated by the whole charade of it.

Had a convo with a friend about another friend's first marathon this weekend. We think she'll be disappointed when she finds out that it likely isn't actually lifechanging for most people.

And I think we're all a little fascinated.

2014-04-28 4:23 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Now I'm confused... so did she fess up or not? But based on what you said at the end maybe not. Hum. 

2014-04-28 4:45 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Elite

Originally posted by KSH

Now I'm confused... so did she fess up or not? But based on what you said at the end maybe not. Hum. 

Nope, never fessed up about it. Over the weekend a good friend of mine ran into her at the grocery store and said "Hey! Congrats on the marathon! Kim said you did great!" and she accepted the congrats, talked a bit about the course--where it started, where it ended, that is was an amazing experience and can't wait to do it again.

2014-04-28 8:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Left Brain

Stone her!!!!!!

All she said was: "That steak was fit for Jhvh!"

Edited for jmk. ;^

Edited by moondawg14 2014-04-28 8:20 PM
2014-04-29 2:43 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
Madrid
Kind of borrowing an idea from above why not suggest something like 'hey lets donate our medals to the school trophy case' . Paint. Corner. Its time. This has gone on too long.
2014-04-29 7:47 AM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
It's more interesting to watch everyone get their panties in a bunch over it with all the in depth commentary!

2014-04-29 9:34 AM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by trinnas It's more interesting to watch everyone get their panties in a bunch over it with all the in depth commentary!

Woah! Woah! Woah!  Some of us aren't wearing any panties.

2014-04-29 9:58 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Champion
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by trinnas It's more interesting to watch everyone get their panties in a bunch over it with all the in depth commentary!

Woah! Woah! Woah!  Some of us aren't wearing any panties.

Hahaha well there you go a new thread... Are you or aren't you? What say you COJ??
2014-04-29 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I can't believe that I am so entranced by this thread. This is amazing!

2014-04-29 7:52 PM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Elite

I really want to get to the bottom of the whole charade.  Yeah, my panties are in a bit of a bunch because darn it, I know what it takes to train for and run marathons. She doesn't get to just say "I ran a marathon' when she clearly didn't.

But, I should probably let it go.

2014-04-29 7:59 PM

User image

Pro

I really want to get to the bottom of the whole charade.  Yeah, my panties are in a bit of a bunch because darn it, I know what it takes to train for and run marathons. She doesn't get to just say "I ran a marathon' when she clearly didn't.

Sure she can.  She can say she's the Queen of England if she wants to.

2014-04-30 6:52 AM

User image

Champion

And in the end, what she says and what she did or did not do changes nothing about your race and your accomplishment.
2014-04-30 9:20 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain

Sure she can.  She can say she's the Queen of England if she wants to.

That might be next!

2014-04-30 9:21 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by trinnas

And in the end, what she says and what she did or did not do changes nothing about your race and your accomplishment.

Exactly. You're right.

2014-04-30 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Exactly. You're right.

Trinn is correct. But now that we have all the feel good stuff out of the way. It is time to get the cell phone video rolling and confront this "runner". Time to take one for the CoJ team!

2014-04-30 11:48 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Exactly. You're right.

Trinn is correct. But now that we have all the feel good stuff out of the way. It is time to get the cell phone video rolling and confront this "runner". Time to take one for the CoJ team!

Wait!! We haven't held hands and sung Kumbaya yet!!

2014-04-30 11:56 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Personally I don't have enough energy to care if someone is lying or not.  Whatever, they have to live with themselves at the end of the day. There are worse things in life to lie about like drug use, cheating on your spouse or breaking the law etc.  Over nearly 10 years here on BT there are lots of folks who have lied about race results. Its easy enough to check and kind of amusing but like I said whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2014-04-30 12:00 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
No, now you go all in. Get a friend or someone to phone her and pretend to be a reporter from Runner's World or something, doing a story on local amateurs - see how far she'll go with it.
2014-04-30 12:22 PM
in reply to: Khyron

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Khyron No, now you go all in. Get a friend or someone to phone her and pretend to be a reporter from Runner's World or something, doing a story on local amateurs - see how far she'll go with it.

YES!  THIS!  WOULD BE AWESOME!

2014-04-30 1:23 PM
in reply to: Khyron

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Khyron No, now you go all in. Get a friend or someone to phone her and pretend to be a reporter from Runner's World or something, doing a story on local amateurs - see how far she'll go with it.

Don't tempt me!  We live in a small town with a very small newspaper--the owner would gladly interview anyone I suggest--he's always desperate for a story of some sort!  This could really, really happen...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you think she ran or not? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

My dog thinks she's a triathlete

Started by GrilloOriginal
Views: 1123 Posts: 17

2009-08-30 2:12 PM Nightstar2009

Do you think she is a blonde?

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 1500 Posts: 7

2009-04-05 10:39 PM comet the dog

WTF was she thinking? Pages: 1 2

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 2571 Posts: 46

2007-12-21 9:39 AM Donto

Michele thought she could fly?

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 523 Posts: 2

2007-11-07 12:44 PM WaterDog66

I thought she was a little fishy...

Started by RGRBILL
Views: 809 Posts: 3

2005-06-08 12:53 PM RachelRichardson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.