Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you think she ran or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2014-04-22 9:27 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Do you think she ran or not?

I'm asking this strictly out of curiosity--in the long run this perplexing situation has no bearing on my life whatsoever, but I'm curious what other people might think went on.

I have a coworker who told me months ago she was training for her first marathon to be run on April 19th--Saturday.  I also happened to be running the half marathon.  So over the last few months we would talk training, etc.  Thursday she came into my room on my prep and we talked for a good 30 minutes about running in general, how bad the taper sucks, etc.  I wished her good luck and told her I couldn't wait to hear how it went.  Race happened Saturday morning--both the marathon and 1/2 started at the same time--I kept an eye out for her but didn't see her, no big deal, not surprising.  Saturday evening once I was home I thought 'I should check to see how "Sally" did.  So I went to results.  She wasn't listed anywhere, in fact no one from our town was listed having run the marathon--not in the DNF, DNS--she was no where to be found.  I though that was strange but figured maybe she registered under a different last name or something.  Monday morning comes so I shoot her a gmail and asked how it went.  She replied right away that it was life changing, unbelievable, she'll do another marathon for sure. She gave me her finish time down to the second.  Curiosity got the better of me so I looked under overall finishers, overall female finishers, her age group finishers and no one recorded that time, nor was her name anywhere to be found.  I'm wondering if she even ran the darn thing?  Or maybe ran it as a bandit?  But that makes no sense to me.  I'm not going to press it further with her, but I'm curious what others think.

2014-04-22 9:36 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Do you think she ran or not?
you have to see her walk. That tends to be a dead give away. Your right it does not sound good for her case unless for some reason it was the wrong race. Also if it was chipped timed and she used her own chip but did not link her to her chip. Did you check the half or other distances? I know my dad used to call any race a marathon even 5ks. It took a lot of correcting to straighten him out. Who knows maybe she just had a faulty chip that was not tested.

Like I said you can try to see walk. Even in my best marathon days I always left clue the next day.
2014-04-22 10:20 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

I think she stole the bike.

2014-04-22 10:23 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

maybe she raced as a man and is working on a gender transition?

2014-04-22 10:25 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Regular
Madrid
I think you have to call her on it and report back asap.
2014-04-22 10:36 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by mehaner

maybe she raced as a man and is working on a gender transition?

Lol...I thought of that and checked men's times too--the time she gave me doesn't exist, there is a time 20 seconds before her time and 15 seconds after her time.  No record of that time.

2014-04-22 10:40 AM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
I ran a half on Saturday and I don't show up anywhere on the results - not my name, not my number, nothing. --and I have the cancelled check to prove I registered and have the gps info to prove I ran the race, and the bib on my fridge to prove I was given a number even though if you input that very number, nothing. My not showing up anywhere on the results page didn't mean anything.

on the other hand, some key differences - how does she know to the exact second if her timing didn't register? yes, could be she did it with her gps, but the reality is, your official time is your time, not your gps time. you also would expect that she would have said, the darn results didn't include me, but according to my gps, my time was xxxx. you could ask a couple more questions like, did you run with a gps watch? my gps didn't sync up to my official time - how about yours? then make a comment about the finisher medal - like, that little slower ring they put on the back of the medals was really cool - and if she agrees about something that isn't there, you know she is full of it.

I had a co-worker once that claimed she had run several marathons, finishing in just under 3 hours. she was a bit overweight and had that kind of skin that overweight since she was a kid people have. when me at the other person at work said something about medals, she claimed, "oh the marathon I ran they didn't give out medals" ....uh, what marathon doesn't give out finishers medals? and if you did a marathon, a full 26.2 real marathon under 3 hours just to check it off your bucket list, wow, I applaud you and your freakish ability.

Edited by sheesleeva 2014-04-22 10:41 AM
2014-04-22 10:49 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I am thinking bandit. It is surprising how easily people justify stealing a race, especially if it is their first and they don't plan on placing in the race. "Oh I don't want a t-shirt and I won't take a medal so I don't need to pay". 

2014-04-22 10:56 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Do the race have race photos? You can always check them.
2014-04-22 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

And you are CERTAIN she ran the SAME race? 

I would probably mention to her that her results didn't get recorded. Assume the best... right? And the best is that her results didn't get recorded and she needs to know about it, as most people would be upset or at least want to know. 

2014-04-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I am thinking bandit. It is surprising how easily people justify stealing a race, especially if it is their first and they don't plan on placing in the race. "Oh I don't want a t-shirt and I won't take a medal so I don't need to pay". 

that is so bizarre to me - putting down the money for the race i will never win is the only REAL thing that keeps me honest about training!  $0 = 0 give a sh**

2014-04-22 11:12 AM

User image

Elite

It was definitely the same race.  I tried to get a little more detail and asked what she thought thought of the course--expecting to get some description like 'the hills were really tough in the first five miles' but all she said was 'I actually liked the course.'  I also asked what color the marathon shirts were, kind of joking about the bright yellow of the 1/2 marathon shirts and that we should wear them on Friday.  No response to that at all.

I suppose her bib might not have registered, that's a possibility.

2014-04-22 11:17 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

This sounds like it could have been a Seinfeld episode.

2014-04-22 12:19 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

A girl I know claimed to have run Boston a handful of times. I didn't believe her, stalked the results, and confronted her when I couldn't find her name. She claims that she bandited the course a few times.

I only felt vengeful because I was training for my first marathon, and she just HAD to one up me if I mentioned it. I knew her through a running group, so, naturally, the conversation of training and upcoming races came up often.

2014-04-22 12:30 PM

User image

Elite
Do I think she ran? Probably not. People lie all the time about all kinds of things. That is the simplest, most likely explanation of the facts that you do know. Second likeliest is that she bandited the race. A possibility. Third most likeliest is that the timing system failed to record her and the results don't list her because of the lack of a chip signal.

Even if I had ironclad evidence that Sally did not participate, I would still play along if it ever came up again. I would never initiate another conversation on the topic, but if she or someone else brought it up, I would let her story stand on its own merit. It is her lie to sustain. Telling the truth is so much easier in the long run (pun? sorrt of?). What is there to be gained or lost by anyone to call her out? A bit of embarrassment for Sally if she is forced to admit the lie. A little ego boosting for those who really did put in the effort. Plus, there is a great deal to be lost by someone calling Sally out on it and by some chance she did run and the lack of evidence in the results is a mistake.

I might offer to run with her the next time she runs a race, just to help her with her running and her honesty. TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-04-22 12:33 PM

2014-04-22 12:39 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

It was definitely the same race.  I tried to get a little more detail and asked what she thought thought of the course--expecting to get some description like 'the hills were really tough in the first five miles' but all she said was 'I actually liked the course.'  I also asked what color the marathon shirts were, kind of joking about the bright yellow of the 1/2 marathon shirts and that we should wear them on Friday.  No response to that at all.

I suppose her bib might not have registered, that's a possibility.

I was going to say give her the benefit of the doubt until you posted that. I'd say that since there is no record of her even being there, plus she's being evasive, I would guess that she's full of it. That's sad--why would anyone do that?

As you mentioned in your OP, I'd definitely let it go at this point. Either:

1. She bandited it.

2. She had a timing malfunction. I find this unlikely because you would think that anyone who was serious enough to do a marathon would know that results are online and would have mentioned that to you--especially since she gave you the exact time.

3. She' crazy.

Edited by zed707 2014-04-22 12:42 PM

2014-04-22 12:50 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by chirunner134 Do the race have race photos? You can always check them.

Tried that, looked them up by her name but there were no results that matched. It's a mystery!

2014-04-22 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I ran a race once but it didn't register an official time for me. When I asked the RD where my time was, he said I must not have crossed the finish line. I assured him I was there and even found the photos of me running the race. He then said `Oh, well, there must've been a chip malfunction. Sorry.' It happens.

The only reason I'd pursue it if I were you is if she dared put a `26.2' sticker on her car. That'd be going too far.
2014-04-22 1:02 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

Veteran
Originally posted by tech_geezer

Do I think she ran? Probably not. People lie all the time about all kinds of things. That is the simplest, most likely explanation of the facts that you do know. Second likeliest is that she bandited the race. A possibility. Third most likeliest is that the timing system failed to record her and the results don't list her because of the lack of a chip signal.

Even if I had ironclad evidence that Sally did not participate, I would still play along if it ever came up again. I would never initiate another conversation on the topic, but if she or someone else brought it up, I would let her story stand on its own merit. It is her lie to sustain. Telling the truth is so much easier in the long run (pun? sorrt of?). What is there to be gained or lost by anyone to call her out? A bit of embarrassment for Sally if she is forced to admit the lie. A little ego boosting for those who really did put in the effort. Plus, there is a great deal to be lost by someone calling Sally out on it and by some chance she did run and the lack of evidence in the results is a mistake.

I might offer to run with her the next time she runs a race, just to help her with her running and her honesty. TW

I agree - if she is full of it, clearly there is something wrong with her self esteem that she made it up. Let it go and let her pretend.
2014-04-22 1:22 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

Veteran
Originally posted by mr2tony

I ran a race once but it didn't register an official time for me. When I asked the RD where my time was, he said I must not have crossed the finish line. I assured him I was there and even found the photos of me running the race. He then said `Oh, well, there must've been a chip malfunction. Sorry.' It happens.

The only reason I'd pursue it if I were you is if she dared put a `26.2' sticker on her car. That'd be going too far.

I know someone that got an Ironman tat - on her neck - and didn't do a full ironman. I still let it go because what's it to me that she tatted, or stickered. People who want to see the truth see it, the rest will just think less of you for refusing to let them exercise their right to be blind.

2014-04-22 1:34 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by tech_geezer Do I think she ran? Probably not. People lie all the time about all kinds of things. That is the simplest, most likely explanation of the facts that you do know. Second likeliest is that she bandited the race. A possibility. Third most likeliest is that the timing system failed to record her and the results don't list her because of the lack of a chip signal.

Offer to run a race with her?!  That level of kindness blows me away.

I might not call her out on it if it is really just a question about the race (though I absolutely might).  I would, however, not hesitate to call her out on it if this kind of thing happens regularly and is a part of her character.  If it is a long-standing issue of integrity, I would most likely say something.

2014-04-22 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tech_geezer Do I think she ran? Probably not. People lie all the time about all kinds of things. That is the simplest, most likely explanation of the facts that you do know. Second likeliest is that she bandited the race. A possibility. Third most likeliest is that the timing system failed to record her and the results don't list her because of the lack of a chip signal.

Or, have some fun with it.  Bring up the topic of the race every chance you have around her.  Start with mundane things like something fun going on at an aid station, how they could have used more port-o-potties, etc, then gradually make the reminiscing more silly over time, eventually making up crazy things like the elephant that escaped from the zoo and ran out onto the course.  It could be fun to see how long she plays along, and if she ever calls you out for making things up, because she was there and didn't see what you describe, or if she just starts avoiding you.  

2014-04-22 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I would ask her how the race went but not push the issue.

A few years ago a co-worker in another location told me that he had run a couple of marathons a year in the previous two years. When I looked up his name on marathonguide.com he was nowhere to be found. So I figured that he ran shorter races and called them marathons or just made it up, I didn't call him out but I also never brought up running with him again.
2014-04-22 2:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by Left Brain

I just spit my water out on this one.  Nice thread reference LB.

In reply to the OP'er.....  She's gotta be a race pirate. 

2014-04-22 2:32 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

New user
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by Left Brain

I just spit my water out on this one.  Nice thread reference LB.

In reply to the OP'er.....  She's gotta be a race pirate. 

Do race pirates run with a parrot on their shoulder?

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you think she ran or not? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

My dog thinks she's a triathlete

Started by GrilloOriginal
Views: 1120 Posts: 17

2009-08-30 2:12 PM Nightstar2009

Do you think she is a blonde?

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 1500 Posts: 7

2009-04-05 10:39 PM comet the dog

WTF was she thinking? Pages: 1 2

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 2557 Posts: 46

2007-12-21 9:39 AM Donto

Michele thought she could fly?

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 521 Posts: 2

2007-11-07 12:44 PM WaterDog66

I thought she was a little fishy...

Started by RGRBILL
Views: 808 Posts: 3

2005-06-08 12:53 PM RachelRichardson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.