Other Resources The Political Joe » Supreme Court upholds Michigan’s ban on racial preferences in university admissions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-04-22 7:48 PM

User image

Subject: Supreme Court upholds Michigan’s ban on racial preferences in university admissions

2014-04-23 8:21 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Supreme Court upholds Michigan’s ban on racial preferences in university admissions

I had a tough time with this one, because it is unquestionably true that there are barriers placed in front of minorities in many aspects of life that simply do not exist for the majority. It's unquestionable fact. Those barriers may not exist everywhere, or all the time, or for every minority group in every place, but they still exist. And we've gotten way too comfortable as a society with shrugging our collective shoulders and saying, "Meh. Everyone gets discriminated against in some way," or pointing at the race of the POTUS as proof that racism is dead.

Having said that, I can't really justify affirmative action for college admissions. I still think that financial aid should be need-based, which will certainly benefit minority students disproportionately, but college admissions should be based on academic merit. Affirmative action always seemed arbitrary to me.
2014-04-23 8:41 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Subject: RE: Supreme Court upholds Michigan’s ban on racial preferences in university admissions
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I had a tough time with this one, because it is unquestionably true that there are barriers placed in front of minorities in many aspects of life that simply do not exist for the majority. It's unquestionable fact. Those barriers may not exist everywhere, or all the time, or for every minority group in every place, but they still exist. And we've gotten way too comfortable as a society with shrugging our collective shoulders and saying, "Meh. Everyone gets discriminated against in some way," or pointing at the race of the POTUS as proof that racism is dead.

Having said that, I can't really justify affirmative action for college admissions. I still think that financial aid should be need-based, which will certainly benefit minority students disproportionately, but college admissions should be based on academic merit. Affirmative action always seemed arbitrary to me.

Couple of things about this. I understand what you're saying and it's something that distracts a lot of people about this case.

Look closer.

This case is not about affirmative action as a primary. It's about state's rights and whether or not the Supreme Court had the authority to say anything about a measure voted on by the citizens of a state.

The second thing that I honest go goodness cannot understand is this thinking, this is from the Washington Post. It's honestly an alien thought process that makes not one lick of sense. Unfortunately it seems there are other people who actually agree with this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/supreme-courts-affirmative-a...
Another strategy worth considering is giving more weight to socioeconomic factors in university admissions. An easy place to start would be eliminating merit scholarships in favor of offering that money to needier students, increasing outreach to qualified students in minority communities and pumping up need-based financial aid.
2014-04-23 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I had a tough time with this one, because it is unquestionably true that there are barriers placed in front of minorities in many aspects of life that simply do not exist for the majority. It's unquestionable fact. Those barriers may not exist everywhere, or all the time, or for every minority group in every place, but they still exist. And we've gotten way too comfortable as a society with shrugging our collective shoulders and saying, "Meh. Everyone gets discriminated against in some way," or pointing at the race of the POTUS as proof that racism is dead. Having said that, I can't really justify affirmative action for college admissions. I still think that financial aid should be need-based, which will certainly benefit minority students disproportionately, but college admissions should be based on academic merit. Affirmative action always seemed arbitrary to me.
Couple of things about this. I understand what you're saying and it's something that distracts a lot of people about this case. Look closer. This case is not about affirmative action as a primary. It's about state's rights and whether or not the Supreme Court had the authority to say anything about a measure voted on by the citizens of a state. The second thing that I honest go goodness cannot understand is this thinking, this is from the Washington Post. It's honestly an alien thought process that makes not one lick of sense. Unfortunately it seems there are other people who actually agree with this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/supreme-courts-affirmative-a...
Another strategy worth considering is giving more weight to socioeconomic factors in university admissions. An easy place to start would be eliminating merit scholarships in favor of offering that money to needier students, increasing outreach to qualified students in minority communities and pumping up need-based financial aid.

What part don't you agree with?  Eliminating merit scholarships or pumping up need-based aid or both?

Merit-based scholarships will always exist somewhere--competitive kids can apply to those schools.  Increasing need-based financial aid doesn't seem like an inherently bad idea to me.  Though I would also argue that unless you're majoring in engineering *just* an undergrad degree isn't going to do much for you anyway.  For a lot of kids who would struggle in undergrad and take on onerous debt to get through college, getting started in a trade or in a plant would be a good career choice and financial decision.

FWIW, I agree completely with all of jmk's points on affirmative action.

2014-04-23 9:27 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Originally posted by switch

What part don't you agree with?  Eliminating merit scholarships or pumping up need-based aid or both?

Merit-based scholarships will always exist somewhere--competitive kids can apply to those schools.  Increasing need-based financial aid doesn't seem like an inherently bad idea to me.  Though I would also argue that unless you're majoring in engineering *just* an undergrad degree isn't going to do much for you anyway.  For a lot of kids who would struggle in undergrad and take on onerous debt to get through college, getting started in a trade or in a plant would be a good career choice and financial decision.

Eliminating merit scholarships is, to me, not even a consideration to take seriously.

What the Post is proposing is basically giving points to a person because of their financial status or lack thereof. So a poorer person would score higher in the admissions process than a person with exactly the same other considerations who has more money.

I don't get that. I understand more financial aid, I really do. I do not understand punishing the highest merit types (those who would get academic scholarships) to pay for it.

Again, this court case has very little to do with affirmative action. It's a state's right case.

2014-04-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Eliminating merit scholarships is, to me, not even a consideration to take seriously.

What the Post is proposing is basically giving points to a person because of their financial status or lack thereof. So a poorer person would score higher in the admissions process than a person with exactly the same other considerations who has more money.

I don't get that. I understand more financial aid, I really do. I do not understand punishing the highest merit types (those who would get academic scholarships) to pay for it.

Again, this court case has very little to do with affirmative action. It's a state's right case.

I get it-- I was addressing AA in general, which I think this case has opened a debate over. Kennedy makes it clear that this is, however, a states-rights issue, not an AA issue when he says in his majority opinion, '“This case is not about how the debate about racial preferences should be resolved. It is about who may resolve it,”

I don't think merit scholarships and need-based scholarships are mutually exclusive, and there is room for both.

The thing is, college admission should not be, IMO, a pure meritocracy where one should simply line up the applicants by grade point average or SAT score and accept the top however-many-there-is-room-for in the freshman class. That doesn't mean you should accept low-end academic performance, but there should be other factors taken into account. There is tremendous value in regional, ethnic, and experiential diversity in a college setting, and colleges should strive to create that environment, even if it means that a kid with a 3.8 is denied admission in favor of a kid with a 3.5. We have no problem with an academically average kid who happens to be an outstanding quarterback getting a college education, why should there not be room for an academically average kid who happens to be outstanding in another field? If you subscribe to the belief that the mission of a university is to educate and prepare the next generation for productive post-graduate lives, as opposed to padding their endowments, it seems to me that there should also be opportunity for a kid whose grades are below the top of the line, but who can contribute to the university culture and eventually society in other ways to receive the same education as the quarterback.

No one in their right mind would suggest that academic performance in high school is a guarantee of future success or future benefit to society. Universities have to find ways to look past the GPA and provide opportunities for all kinds of people, whereever they come from-- not just for purely altruistic reasons, but because it will benefit them, and us, in the long run.

(Edited to explain my position a little better).

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2014-04-23 10:17 AM

2014-04-23 10:43 AM

User image

Pro

Eliminating merit scholarships is, to me, not even a consideration to take seriously. What the Post is proposing is basically giving points to a person because of their financial status or lack thereof. So a poorer person would score higher in the admissions process than a person with exactly the same other considerations who has more money. I don't get that. I understand more financial aid, I really do. I do not understand punishing the highest merit types (those who would get academic scholarships) to pay for it. Again, this court case has very little to do with affirmative action. It's a state's right case.

Merit based scholarships and financial aid are definitely treated differently. My youngest is an incoming freshman this year. He received a $5k scholarship for academic achievement, and a $6k college grant. Once they went through our financials, guess what happened to the grant? Gone due to 'lack of demonstrated need.'

It would have been nice to have the money, but this is totally fair. In reality, if that money enables some equally talented kid to go to college, then it is a better use of the money. The key there is that the ability is evaluated separately from the need. To bring a kid into college who, academically, shouldn't be there is just setting them up for failure. The universities are aware of this problem.

One professor where I'm affiliated has a program to assess the skill levels of inner city students applying to the college, and determine what the deficiencies in education are that prevent them from succeeding. They then take a year of prep classes which, upon successful completion, guarantees them admission and financial support.

2014-04-23 7:44 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

New user
Good ruling, ADMISSIONS should be based on merit. They are supposed to be (or used to be) institutions of higher learning. I have first hand experience with this one, well my daughter did. She was the number three applicant (based on ACT/SAT, GPA) at a major university that she had always wanted to attend. The university gives out ten full ride scholarships and guess what, they would give her tuition and fees,but not the full ride because she did not meet their minority/socioeconomic criteria. Opened her eyes to the fact that colleges don't want the best and brightest, but just want to look "diverse". If you truly want more diversity at universities and quality students, allow school choice so kids can get out of failing schools and actually learn something so they won't need remediation to get into a college.
2014-04-24 3:00 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by NXS Good ruling, ADMISSIONS should be based on merit  whatever criteria the college decides.  

FTFY.

Originally posted by NXS

They are supposed to be (or used to be) institutions of higher learning. I have first hand experience with this one, well my daughter did. She was the number three applicant (based on ACT/SAT, GPA) at a major university that she had always wanted to attend. The university gives out ten full ride scholarships and guess what, they would give her tuition and fees,but not the full ride because she did not meet their minority/socioeconomic criteria. Opened her eyes to the fact that colleges don't want the best and brightest, but just want to look "diverse". If you truly want more diversity at universities and quality students, allow school choice so kids can get out of failing schools and actually learn something so they won't need remediation to get into a college. 

Or perhaps, *gasp* they actually want to BE diverse, and decide to hold back money for other qualified students.   

Either way, you are correct, it's a good ruling.  States should be allowed to decide how to include people in their organizations.

2014-04-24 3:33 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I had a tough time with this one, because it is unquestionably true that there are barriers placed in front of minorities in many aspects of life that simply do not exist for the majority. It's unquestionable fact. Those barriers may not exist everywhere, or all the time, or for every minority group in every place, but they still exist. And we've gotten way too comfortable as a society with shrugging our collective shoulders and saying, "Meh. Everyone gets discriminated against in some way," or pointing at the race of the POTUS as proof that racism is dead. Having said that, I can't really justify affirmative action for college admissions. I still think that financial aid should be need-based, which will certainly benefit minority students disproportionately, but college admissions should be based on academic merit. Affirmative action always seemed arbitrary to me.

It depends on how you define the system.

Let's say 80% of college students are white, And 20% are not .   And 25% of college students are "poor"

And let's say 80% of poor people are "not white", and 20% are white.

And we give scholarships to ALL of the poor people.

And then we look at the college students and say:  OMG!  only 5% of white college students got financial aid, but 20% of "not white" students got financial aid!  "Not white" students only make up 20% of the student body, but they got 80% of the aid!

And then we say:  That's not fair! "not white" kids got way more help than white kids!

But in reality, ALL of the poor kids got help.  And hopefully, it's a " virtuous cycle,"  Which means in the next generation, only 75% of the poor kids are "not white" and eventually, the ratio of  white to "not white" in the poor population will match the ratio in the "not poor" population. 

So, my argument is that it's only disproportionate when we consider race. When we consider the "real problem," the proportion is correct:  ALL poor kids get help.    

2014-04-24 7:36 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I can't believe I'm typing this, but "I agree completely"  ;-)

I've always felt that AA based simply on ethnicity was unfair because a poor white kid growing up in a rough hood is the same as a poor black kid in my mind.  They both have most of the same socioeconomic challenges to overcome in life.

2014-04-24 9:17 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by moondawg14

Let's say 80% of college students are white, And 20% are not .   And 25% of college students are "poor"

And then we look at the college students and say:  OMG!  only 5% of white college students got financial aid, but 20% of "not white" students got financial aid!  "Not white" students only make up 20% of the student body, but they got 80% of the aid!

And then we say:  That's not fair! "not white" kids got way more help than white kids!

But in reality, ALL of the poor kids got help.  And hopefully, it's a " virtuous cycle,"  Which means in the next generation, only 75% of the poor kids are "not white" and eventually, the ratio of  white to "not white" in the poor population will match the ratio in the "not poor" population. 

So, my argument is that it's only disproportionate when we consider race. When we consider the "real problem," the proportion is correct:  ALL poor kids get help.    

Unfortunately, this is not the case and so your argument fails.  Whites make up almost 50% of those at the poverty level in the US.  If you ONLY compare them against Blacks, they are double the # (not the %, the #).  So again, if you go just based on lower socio-economic levels then you will still have a higher percentage of whites than the other because just by sheer #'s they make up a higher % than the rest.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with AA or not.  It is not black and white.  It is not easy.  I will say one thing, though, a University has to look at more than just the merit of the student.  It is more beneficial for the University to increase its diversity just as much as it is to have high merit students.  Mainly because it exposes the student to real world diversity.  

2014-04-24 9:39 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by tuwood

I've always felt that AA based simply on ethnicity was unfair because a poor white kid growing up in a rough hood is the same as a poor black kid in my mind.  They both have most of the same socioeconomic challenges to overcome in life.

No they're not, and no they don't. 

2014-04-24 9:49 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by crowny2
I will say one thing, though, a University has to look at more than just the merit of the student.  It is more beneficial for the University to increase its diversity just as much as it is to have high merit students.  Mainly because it exposes the student to real world diversity.  

I will agree with this. This is probably the one place I think it is important and useful. I really do not agree with work place diversity unless you are talking work background. Just because your company does things one way does not mean there is not a better way to do things and new blood can help that.

Maybe it helps I start school in a small liberal arts college. Our first class we took was designed to help us think about looking outside out fishbowl. Yes the prof did draw a fishbowl on the blackboard first day of class. I even had to read an essay in that class about how BS is better than CS (Drawing your own conclusions based on past knowledge and experience rather than just stating facts in a paper). Though you do need to have some facts to back those up. College is suppose to be a place of higher learning and not just an overpriced trade school. Learning about different people's cultures and experiences I think is important part of college.

Trouble is you can take it too far the other way. People are never good at finding that balance.
2014-04-24 10:09 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So, I grew up in a trailer park poor as dirt and probably half of my friends where white and half were minorities.

You're saying that I magically didn't have to deal with the same harassment, bullying, segregation, humiliation, that they did simply because I'm white and they're not?

I would like to respectfully inform you that you're incorrect.  My life sucked just as bad as theirs did and I had a LOT to overcome.

2014-04-24 10:22 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Unfortunately, this is not the case and so your argument fails.  Whites make up almost 50% of those at the poverty level in the US.  If you ONLY compare them against Blacks, they are double the # (not the %, the #).  So again, if you go just based on lower socio-economic levels then you will still have a higher percentage of whites than the other because just by sheer #'s they make up a higher % than the rest.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with AA or not.  It is not black and white.  It is not easy.  I will say one thing, though, a University has to look at more than just the merit of the student.  It is more beneficial for the University to increase its diversity just as much as it is to have high merit students.  Mainly to meet criteria to increase the school's ranking among it's peers.  

FTFY

2014-04-24 10:58 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So, I grew up in a trailer park poor as dirt and probably half of my friends where white and half were minorities.

You're saying that I magically didn't have to deal with the same harassment, bullying, segregation, humiliation, that they did simply because I'm white and they're not?

I would like to respectfully inform you that you're incorrect.  My life sucked just as bad as theirs did and I had a LOT to overcome.

I can't comment on your specific situation Tony.  I'm sure it sucked.  I think it would have sucked more if you were also black.  I'm perfectly content to agree to disagree on this.

2014-04-24 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

No you didn't have to, and you still don't have to, deal with the same harassment, bullying, segregation, humiliation that black people -- rich or poor -- do on a daily basis.
2014-04-24 11:05 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony

No you didn't have to, and you still don't have to, deal with the same harassment, bullying, segregation, humiliation that black people -- rich or poor -- do on a daily basis.

I would caution you that not all black people feel that way.....that's not an opinion, that's a fact.  That's a pretty broad stroke you're painting with.

2014-04-24 11:06 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with AA or not.  It is not black and white.  It is not easy.  I will say one thing, though, a University has to look at more than just the merit of the student.  It is more beneficial for the University to increase its diversity just as much as it is to have high merit students.  Because the real world is diverse and heaven forbid someone not get exposed to other races and cultures, which will ultimately make them more competitive in the academic sphere because they will then be able to deliver a more real world experience instead of a sanitized one.

FTFY

Fixed it again.

2014-04-24 11:09 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Left Brain

I would caution you that not all black people feel that way.....that's not an opinion, that's a fact.  That's a pretty broad stroke you're painting with.

Not all black people feel what way? That TUWood's life is just as difficult as theirs?

2014-04-24 11:15 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by NXS Good ruling, ADMISSIONS should be based on merit. They are supposed to be (or used to be) institutions of higher learning. I have first hand experience with this one, well my daughter did. She was the number three applicant (based on ACT/SAT, GPA) at a major university that she had always wanted to attend. The university gives out ten full ride scholarships and guess what, they would give her tuition and fees,but not the full ride because she did not meet their minority/socioeconomic criteria. Opened her eyes to the fact that colleges don't want the best and brightest, but just want to look "diverse". If you truly want more diversity at universities and quality students, allow school choice so kids can get out of failing schools and actually learn something so they won't need remediation to get into a college.

But what you described had nothing to do with admission.  Your daughter got accepted, she just wasn't offered a full ride. 

2014-04-24 11:16 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Not all black people feel what way? That TUWood's life is just as difficult as theirs?

Dude....there are plenjty of black people who don't think they have it near as hard as some white people.  There are also plenty of black people who don't feel humiliated,. harassed, bullied, or segregated, 

This gets old.

Is there racisim?  Sure there is.  But I'm sorry, you are discounting a very large percentage of black people who don't want you to define how they feel, and it's wrong to do that.   I'll listen all day to black people relating their lilfe experiences......and I do....but I won't spend a second listening to anyone who is not black trying to tell me what black people deal wtih.  It's ridiculous.

2014-04-24 11:22 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Man, what kind of world do you live in Tony?  I'm not ignorant enough to say that racism and prejudice doesn't exist because it does, but what you describe is the exception and not the rule in the world i live in.  If anything, I find your statement to be rather prejudicial and demeaning to black people.

2014-04-24 11:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Man, what kind of world do you live in Tony?  I'm not ignorant enough to say that racism and prejudice doesn't exist because it does, but what you describe is the exception and not the rule in the world i live in.  If anything, I find your statement to be rather prejudicial and demeaning to black people.

lmao - I showed this thread to one of the guys I work with who happens to be black since he's sitting in the car next to me..  He hasn't stopped cursing and calling 2tony names yet. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-24 11:26 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Supreme Court upholds Michigan’s ban on racial preferences in university admissions Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack Pages: 1 2 3

Started by switch
Views: 4353 Posts: 56

2014-03-25 2:28 PM Aarondb4

Incandescent light bulb ban Pages: 1 2

Started by zed707
Views: 3331 Posts: 29

2014-01-27 5:44 PM Kido

block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns

Started by idahocraig
Views: 1635 Posts: 15

2013-07-12 1:36 PM tuwood

Supreme Court stops use of key part of Voting Rights Act

Started by DanielG
Views: 2178 Posts: 22

2013-07-03 3:23 PM TriRSquared

Texas cheerleaders win in court again over Bible banners Pages: 1 2 3

Started by DanielG
Views: 6237 Posts: 62

2013-05-27 11:05 PM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 30, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.