General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HOTTER THAN HELL race day nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 10:05 AM

User image

Utah
Subject: HOTTER THAN HELL race day nutrition
Just checked the 10 day forecast and the weather according to Accuweather for IM StG 70.3 is supposed to be 96 and high winds. My tried and true nutrition for this distance is Perpetuem every 15 minutes, with water in the aero bottle in between (about a 24 ounces of water an hour) on the bike, with a 1/2 a Bonk Breaker bar as well, every hour. Run I do a Gu every 45 minutes, and water at aid stations. What would you add to this for those kind of conditions on race day? I have done salt tabs when it is really hot, one every 30 minutes, but I have never raced in conditions qutie this brutal. Would you increase water? Increase salt tabs? Just wondering how to adjust for race day. Thanks in advance!

2014-04-24 12:48 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

Subject: RE: HOTTER THAN HELL race day nutrition
Originally posted by KatieLimb

Just checked the 10 day forecast and the weather according to Accuweather for IM StG 70.3 is supposed to be 96 and high winds. My tried and true nutrition for this distance is Perpetuem every 15 minutes, with water in the aero bottle in between (about a 24 ounces of water an hour) on the bike, with a 1/2 a Bonk Breaker bar as well, every hour. Run I do a Gu every 45 minutes, and water at aid stations. What would you add to this for those kind of conditions on race day? I have done salt tabs when it is really hot, one every 30 minutes, but I have never raced in conditions qutie this brutal. Would you increase water? Increase salt tabs? Just wondering how to adjust for race day. Thanks in advance!

I've done a HIM in mid-90s and it was rough - I'm a cold weather guy, so hot temps are my kryptonite. Overall, I think your plan seems ok. I would definitely stick to 2 salt tabs per hour - not sure more would help. Increase water...probably, but it depends on your sweat rate and how thirsty you get. And in terms of bonk breaker bars...when it's really warm/hot, my stomach doesn't like solid foods - I decrease my intake of solid foods and rely more on easier to digest products, like gels.

Having said all this, everybody is different and it's hard to know how your body will react to such conditions. But your plan seems good.
2014-04-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: HOTTER THAN HELL race day nutrition
Last years imtx was over 100 for most of the day. All I changed was the intake of more fluids. Same routine, just more fluids.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HOTTER THAN HELL race day nutrition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Race Day Nutrition Question

Started by rpvsurfer
Views: 975 Posts: 8

2014-03-20 3:08 PM Calvin386

HIM - translating workout nutrition to race day

Started by k8iedid
Views: 879 Posts: 3

2012-02-28 9:28 AM JohnnyKay

48hr, 24he, Race Day IM Nutrition

Started by Mbzartri
Views: 796 Posts: 2

2010-06-09 9:51 PM KathyG

Race day nutrition plan

Started by jackedaniels
Views: 1063 Posts: 8

2009-05-24 6:54 PM jackedaniels

IM nutrition in the "old days"

Started by Gerrard
Views: 1157 Posts: 5

2009-02-15 5:39 PM BamaDC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.

date : March 21, 2005
author : jduscio24
Hydration and glycogen is the key to success in any sport. If you’re missing one, your game is going to suffer tremendously.