General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't get used to Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-24 7:43 PM

User image

, Jawa Barat
Subject: Can't get used to Tri Bike
I have recently purchased my first TT bike and I feel like I have just taken 10 steps back when it comes to my biking ability. I know that with time, hopefully, I will be able to handle the new riding style, but as of right now I can't even ride for over an hour or my arms/neck get exhausted! I know that with time it will be better, but it is just frustrating! I am just venting on here because if my wife finds out that I am irritated at the expensive pruchase I just made, she will use it against me! :-)

2014-04-24 7:58 PM
in reply to: JoshuaBlackburn

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Can't get used to Tri Bike
Yeah, vent here and not to her.

You'll adapt. Keep riding!
2014-04-24 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4986650

User image

Regular
If you even made it close to an hour on your first few weeks in aero, you are doing better than most. It does take quite a but of acclimation. It us by no means a natural position.
2014-04-24 8:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Jawa Barat
I knew someone would understand me! It is just frustrating. I am new to riding, and I have just got acceptable on a road bike. Now, I feel like I lost all the hard work. Irritating! How long does it usually take till you are semi comfortable on it?

Edited by JoshuaBlackburn 2014-04-24 8:37 PM
2014-04-24 8:50 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by H20man
If you even made it close to an hour on your first few weeks in aero, you are doing better than most. It does take quite a but of acclimation. It us by no means a natural position.
Yup...took me quite a while to get used to it.

Hang in there OP

Edited by Dunn Right 2014-04-24 8:51 PM
2014-04-24 9:51 PM

User image

I don't have one but trying to convince my wife I need one...better hide this thread from her

2014-04-24 10:19 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Did you get your bike fit from a legitimate bike fitter??

there alot who claims to be a fitter and so they say and they dont have any idea about the proper tri bike posture applicable to the rider.

There are training to be triathletes here who does not want to blow the $250.00 or more from a reputable bike fitter because of the cost , but the only way to see the advantages is give it a try.

just sharing

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-24 10:20 PM
2014-04-24 10:33 PM

User image

, Jawa Barat
That could be the issue since I am trying to fit it myself. I have no place to get my bike fitted. I live in Indonesia where it is impossible to find a reputable fitter... let the comments come lol I did buy a bike fitting app, but it isn't that helpful since I am a novice.

Edited by JoshuaBlackburn 2014-04-24 10:34 PM
2014-04-24 10:47 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by JoshuaBlackburn That could be the issue since I am trying to fit it myself. I have no place to get my bike fitted. I live in Indonesia where it is impossible to find a reputable fitter... let the comments come lol I did buy a bike fitting app, but it isn't that helpful since I am a novice.
riath

Hi Joshua! Welcome to BT--how did I miss you?!

I'm Indonesian and one of the people who started triathlon as a sport in Indonesia. You're not alone!

What kind of a tri bike did you get?

There's a guy with Specialized who can do a great bike positioning (bike fitting is supposed to take place before you buy a bike, positioning is what takes place after to reach the best position for you on a specific bike). He's in Surabaya, though, although IMO it'd be worth the trip.

Where are you in Jabar?

There are a few cyclists/bike shop people in Jakarta who can do a solid "eyeball" positioning.

Finally, if you're on FB, join Triathlon Buddies--it's the group for anything and everything tri in Indonesia.

2014-04-24 11:02 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

, Jawa Barat
Woo hoo! An Indonesian friend! Surabaya is a bit of a drive for me. I live in Sentul City which is next to Bogor. I bought a Felt b16. I know that I should have been fitted first, but it just wasn't an option, especially with my budget. )-;

Jakarta is a easy drive, is there a certain shop that would be best for me to go to? I would love to take it in and get the best positioning I can with the bike. I know I am doing it backwards, but I have made my bed and I gotta lay in it now.

I will look up the Facebook group right now!

Thank you for the help!
2014-04-24 11:03 PM

User image

Getting fitted well is important. Of course, even after I got fitted I felt really unstable on the tri bike. It took me a LONG time to get used to it. Months. Working on my core strength helped a lot. Now, about a year after I bought it, I love it and actually prefer it to my road bike, but it took me a long time to get here. I wasn't much of a biker to start with, so that probably made the learning curve much slower for me.

2014-04-24 11:07 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

, Jawa Barat
Originally posted by RunningJoke

Getting fitted well is important. Of course, even after I got fitted I felt really unstable on the tri bike. It took me a LONG time to get used to it. Months. Working on my core strength helped a lot. Now, about a year after I bought it, I love it and actually prefer it to my road bike, but it took me a long time to get here. I wasn't much of a biker to start with, so that probably made the learning curve much slower for me.

But I have a tri in less than 5 weeks! Lol...
2014-04-24 11:21 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by JoshuaBlackburn Woo hoo! An Indonesian friend! Surabaya is a bit of a drive for me. I live in Sentul City which is next to Bogor. I bought a Felt b16. I know that I should have been fitted first, but it just wasn't an option, especially with my budget. )-; Jakarta is a easy drive, is there a certain shop that would be best for me to go to? I would love to take it in and get the best positioning I can with the bike. I know I am doing it backwards, but I have made my bed and I gotta lay in it now. I will look up the Facebook group right now! Thank you for the help!

Yaaaay! Hey, Tri Buddies do tons of group stuff and workouts in Sentul City! You might also want to look up Indo Runners (started by a good friend, as was the new running revolution in Indonesia--the backstory is a bunch of us former crazy Jakarta clubbers kinda grew up and figured we needed something else to do ... ) on FB as well.

Contact Latip at Spin Warriors in BSD City +6287809451402, tell him Yanti sent you. (My very new husband--our honeymoon was Sungailiat Tri in Bangka!--actually had his bachelor party there LOL) The guys have NO social skills, so don't be put off by awkward phone-ness, they're super helpful and some of the best guys in the business.

Lemme guess. You're doing Bintan

2014-04-25 2:11 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
yo man

triathletes here drive 150 miles to see the bike fitter i go to, its really worth it , it only takes a few hours, but if you get there take the bike for a ride before you go back so he can correct it.

Goodluck!!!!

2014-04-25 2:19 AM

User image

, Jawa Barat
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by JoshuaBlackburn Woo hoo! An Indonesian friend! Surabaya is a bit of a drive for me. I live in Sentul City which is next to Bogor. I bought a Felt b16. I know that I should have been fitted first, but it just wasn't an option, especially with my budget. )-; Jakarta is a easy drive, is there a certain shop that would be best for me to go to? I would love to take it in and get the best positioning I can with the bike. I know I am doing it backwards, but I have made my bed and I gotta lay in it now. I will look up the Facebook group right now! Thank you for the help!

Yaaaay! Hey, Tri Buddies do tons of group stuff and workouts in Sentul City! You might also want to look up Indo Runners (started by a good friend, as was the new running revolution in Indonesia--the backstory is a bunch of us former crazy Jakarta clubbers kinda grew up and figured we needed something else to do ... ) on FB as well.

Contact Latip at Spin Warriors in BSD City +6287809451402, tell him Yanti sent you. (My very new husband--our honeymoon was Sungailiat Tri in Bangka!--actually had his bachelor party there LOL) The guys have NO social skills, so don't be put off by awkward phone-ness, they're super helpful and some of the best guys in the business.

Yup, doing Bintan Olympic Distance, then I am doing a HIM in Seattle Washington this summer, and then I am doing Malaysia IM. (-; You doing Bintan? I will contact Spin Warriors. Thank you so much, you have no clue how excited I am about this!
2014-04-25 2:21 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

, Jawa Barat
Originally posted by strykergt

yo man

triathletes here drive 150 miles to see the bike fitter i go to, its really worth it , it only takes a few hours, but if you get there take the bike for a ride before you go back so he can correct it.

Goodluck!!!!

It would be over a 11 hour drive with NO traffic. So, in Indonesia, it would be around a 3 day drive to get to the bike shop!

2014-04-25 2:38 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by JoshuaBlackburn

Yup, doing Bintan Olympic Distance, then I am doing a HIM in Seattle Washington this summer, and then I am doing Malaysia IM. (-; You doing Bintan? I will contact Spin Warriors. Thank you so much, you have no clue how excited I am about this!

Hey! I'm on track to do IM Malaysia as well, there's a few of us from here signed up to do it traveling a lot and really busy between now and then, so it'll depend on how well I can drop weight and gain fitness.

P.S. Not Bintan, sadly. It's a great race, historically super well organized and everyone's had a good time. Word on the street for this year is that they've taken a record number of participants though and there are some concerns about how the course can safely accommodate everyone. Just the news so far, who knows.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-04-25 2:41 AM
2014-04-25 2:47 AM

User image

, Jawa Barat

Originally posted by JoshuaBlackburn

Hey! I'm on track to do IM Malaysia as well, there's a few of us from here signed up to do it traveling a lot and really busy between now and then, so it'll depend on how well I can drop weight and gain fitness.

P.S. Not Bintan, sadly. It's a great race, historically super well organized and everyone's had a good time. Word on the street for this year is that they've taken a record number of participants though and there are some concerns about how the course can safely accommodate everyone. Just the news so far, who knows.

Well I hope you make it! It will be my first IM. I just did the Singapore Sprint! That was my first Tri. I am excited and I love the sport. If you are ever in Sentul you are more than welcome to come train with me and the two other people who are doing it with me here in Sentul!
2014-04-25 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by JoshuaBlackburn That could be the issue since I am trying to fit it myself. I have no place to get my bike fitted. I live in Indonesia where it is impossible to find a reputable fitter... let the comments come lol I did buy a bike fitting app, but it isn't that helpful since I am a novice.

TT Bike Fit

Todd Kenyon at TTBikeFit can do online fittings.  I would highly recommend you give it a try.

2014-04-25 7:49 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

, Jawa Barat
That's pricey for an online fit. Thank you though, I might end up doing it.
2014-04-25 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

He does a good job.  I know plenty of teammates that have used this service.

2014-04-25 8:36 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

He does a good job.  I know plenty of teammates that have used this service.

I'm fortunate to be able to see Todd as he is local and his fit was best I have had. I've been fit by 3 other fitters and I felt something was still off and he helped me.

If your position now doesn't allow you to ride your tt bike well, the fit will make a huge difference in how enjoyable riding your new bike will be.

2014-04-25 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by JoshuaBlackburn I have recently purchased my first TT bike and I feel like I have just taken 10 steps back when it comes to my biking ability. I know that with time, hopefully, I will be able to handle the new riding style, but as of right now I can't even ride for over an hour or my arms/neck get exhausted! I know that with time it will be better, but it is just frustrating! I am just venting on here because if my wife finds out that I am irritated at the expensive pruchase I just made, she will use it against me! :-)

First rule of Tri Bikes:  don't talk about the price to your SO.

Second rule of Tri Bikes: See Rule #1

My wife:  So how much did that bike cost you?

Me:  Not as much as the new carpet and flooring in the house.

My wife:  We spent $4,500 on carpet and flooring!  It better not have.

Me:  Nope, the bike frame did not come close to costing that much.   (notice I said frame)   MUHWAHAHAHAHA

2014-04-25 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
It's hard to ride 100% in aero. Takes some time, proper fit, experimentation some more, adjustments, etc and time in the saddle. I have found that after a while, I was able to increase my % of time in aero eventually and as my fitness/flexibility increased, I could go longer etc. Also, I find that riding outside is actually more comfortable with my current set up than on the trainer. So, just because something is not 100% comfortable on trainer, does not mean it's not good outside.

Honestly though, for my past 70.3s, I may spend 60% in aero maybe slightly more this season. Get good fit and just spend time riding. Should get better.

Edited by taylorz13 2014-04-25 9:05 AM
2014-04-25 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
I've been planning on buying a tri bike for this season, but this has me wondering: should I get a tri bike? On my road bike I hardly ever ride in the drops because I find it uncomfortable and my knees almost hit my chest.

2nd, what's the expected/average before you get comfortable enough to race on a tri bike?

BR Erik
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't get used to Tri Bike Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Tri bike...getting a used one?

Started by Nhmountainman
Views: 852 Posts: 6

2012-06-12 6:09 AM twomarks

Olympic London Tri-Using Road or Tri bikes?

Started by wsfarm
Views: 1583 Posts: 8

2011-08-10 2:02 PM gsmacleod

Can't find a wedge/bag for my tri bike

Started by xmann1102
Views: 1294 Posts: 8

2009-05-26 3:49 PM mmrocker13

Road bike used for tri question?

Started by aneal000
Views: 1044 Posts: 8

2014-04-24 8:32 PM H20man

I can't swim and I can't afford a new bike

Started by armchairtriathlete
Views: 1518 Posts: 15

2005-01-24 9:51 AM adventuress
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.