Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Relative newbie from Melbourne! Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-25 2:42 AM

User image

Subject: Relative newbie from Melbourne!
Hello fellow triathletes! I guess I can use that term now!

I have completed a few triathlons now as part of the Gatorade and Team up series', 2 sprints, Port Arlington and one Olympic. I love them! I have bought the Triathletes Training Bible and yesterday wrote down my plan for the rest of the year - primarily aiming to improve my endurance (less than a year of being relatively active), and my speed, focusing on sprints and olympics!

My question for the time being regards bike fit. I purchased a Giant tcr advanced 2 on special just before my first sprint, experienced a little pain, thought nothing of it... Then was getting serious bum/hamstring pain every time I rode it. I dropped the seat height, and have pulled it forward. It is now a lot better, but when I get to about an hours riding, or am pushing myself on flats, the pain comes back! I have also just gotten an old set of clip on bars from a friend from his cycling days, albeit haven't fitted them up yet.

I am very keen on getting a proper fit done! I am pretty new to cycling, and especially to my fancy bike (mountain biked a bit last year). I have read a little bit about a 'Body Geometry' fit, as well as a 'Retul' fit. I was hoping someone/s here could advise me or offer an opinion on which one I should do, if I should just head to a shop, or anything along those lines. I am happy to pay the money for one, I would really like to be comfortable as when I am, I love cycling. The rest of the time is a bit of a battle! I am also keen to get a proper fit so I can have a road set up, and then, if need be for the clip ons, have a set of adjustments for that!

Sorry for the slab of text, and thank you in advance for any assistance!

Ash

2014-04-30 3:14 AM
in reply to: engima

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Relative newbie from Melbourne!
Welcome!Congratulations on getting through the season, some tough conditions were thrown at us.I had my last bike fit in 07/08, I'm still riding the same bike, but haven't had knee/back problems like it used to.I did my bike fit with a physio that was associated with the group I was training with at the time.Where'd you buy the bike from? They may do a fit for you.The physios at Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre also do bike fits and can address your pain.And I can vouch for Dave at CBD cycles (on Bourke near Spencer St), he fit me for a Giant Trinity that I got to borrow for the last Gatorade race.Hope that helps a little...
2014-05-02 5:05 AM
in reply to: Casie

User image

Thanks Casie

I will have a look into those places. I saw the CBD cycles tent at a few races, as well as a Giant Inc? I think. I'll have a ring around and do some deciding! I bought the bike from Ivanhoe cycles (on special) and am definitely not going back. Did not have a good experience at all, and even taking it back for it's first service wasn't good! I am more than happy to pay for someone who actually knows what they are doing to help me out!

I've also come up with another question, again cycling related! With the increase in rain and the decrease in temperature, I am looking at getting an indoor trainer! Any recommendations?

Cheers!
2014-05-25 10:24 PM

User image

Elite
Not sure where in Melbourne you are but if you're ever on Beach Road head into Omara Cycles at Black Rock - book a fit with Jae O'mara.
2014-06-11 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

Did you end up getting an indoor trainer?

Ive got an ancient Minoura Mag 500 trainer, I've had it for about 8 years and its still gets pulled out every winter! It's the base model, you adjust the resistance then go. If you need to go harder, change gears, I think the remote to change resistance is obsolete this way...

Cons to the indoor trainer is that its a bit loud, but for the training I can't complain. Just means the movie or music or Sufferfest video is up a little louder.

2014-06-14 12:44 AM
in reply to: Casie

User image

Originally posted by jobaxas

Not sure where in Melbourne you are but if you're ever on Beach Road head into Omara Cycles at Black Rock - book a fit with Jae O'mara.

Thanks mate. I alternate between the east and west but mostly in the west. I have ridden past that shop. I need to get a fit done soon, I think. Biking is still a bit painful, especially the seat!

Originally posted by Casie

Did you end up getting an indoor trainer?

Ive got an ancient Minoura Mag 500 trainer, I've had it for about 8 years and its still gets pulled out every winter! It's the base model, you adjust the resistance then go. If you need to go harder, change gears, I think the remote to change resistance is obsolete this way...

Cons to the indoor trainer is that its a bit loud, but for the training I can't complain. Just means the movie or music or Sufferfest video is up a little louder.

I did actually! Only used it once but it was one hell of a workout. Looks like this week will be a wet one so it'll be getting some use!

2014-06-21 1:02 AM

User image

Double post but update time!

Used the trainer a few times now, it's one hell of a workout isn't it! I find it much harder than road riding, which I guess much be a good thing!

Second, got a fit done this morning. Went to Cyclingphysio in Bulleen who uses the retul system. It was a bit rushed at the end due to his next appointment but it was pretty thorough and I feel like my position was better and my knowledge was much improved. Guess time will tell if it was worth it!

Cheers
2014-06-22 6:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

Updates are good!

The indoor trainer can be torturous, but an awesome opportunity to focus on cadence or intervals or technique that is harder to do on road.
I tend to write out a program and stick to that, I find I can stay on longer that way.

If any issues are not resolved by the fit you had, make sure you go back and have them addressed. Hopefully it has you sorted though!

New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Relative newbie from Melbourne! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Melbourne Tri Clubs

Started by Chocky
Views: 2541 Posts: 2

2010-03-28 9:14 PM cottoneyes

Melbourne in 10 days

Started by mouseman
Views: 2881 Posts: 5

2009-01-11 7:50 PM lorijayne01

Hello from Melbourne

Started by lorijayne01
Views: 3952 Posts: 16

2010-04-13 8:53 PM bondgirl

Recommendations for Melbourne

Started by Denise2003
Views: 1920 Posts: 4

2009-01-04 6:08 PM lorijayne01

Melbourne Bike Shops

Started by JamieW
Views: 3018 Posts: 5

2008-06-02 7:57 PM JamieW
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!