General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 17/
Pre-race routine:

I have not been on the bike in 3 weeks. I have barely done anything in the last few weeks. So, I had proper expectations. I drove out with Chris which made the drive out much easier. The whole setup process seems to get more sparse every time I race. My T area has very little in it. I look at others and laugh as it looks like they are moving in.

Great to run into Shanks, Brian, John, Bethany, and others. I finally met Chance and a few new Dynamo people. Best part of the day!
Event warmup:

No warm up. Not sure if that is a mistake, but water was cold and did not want to run.
Swim
  • 12m 2s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Tried something different...started to the left and did not start at the front...I paused a little at the start then pushed forward...no panic attack and I passed lots of people by the first turn. I sighted perfectly from buoy to buoy. However, I was slowed by sighting too much. I needed to kick more constantly. When compared to my age group, I was 5th which is about where I normally land when in shape! So, I will take leg one as a victory over the last 6 times of doing this race and completely screwing up the swim!
What would you do differently?:

I was happy with the swim...even though it was not a great time, I did manage the situation well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

What a mess! The rubber band fell off one side and five people were going slow to the entrance. I got all messed up on getting on the bike. It was outside of the T-time, but did mess up my bike time. I ran out of the lake to the bike. My speed suite was not zipping down all the way (user error) and took a little effort to slide out of it. Otherwise, it was the fastest in age group due to not using a wet suite!...LOL

This race is for making errors and getting ramped back up. I was not clean on it. Needed to run harder, get out of the speed suite quicker, and properly setup the shoes.

Note: this was the first race on the new tri bike. I should have spend a few minutes doing some flying leaps onto it. the seat is much higher than the last bike, so it threw me off. I took that part for granted and need to practice before the next race.
Bike
  • 43m 2s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Burned a ton of time from exit of T-1 to the entrance of the park. I completely messed up getting on the bike and getting into my shoes. It was a joke compared to my normal. I guess this was part of knocking the rust off. I think I would have been a few minutes faster if not for the start. Otherwise, I did not have any trouble spots. A few of the hills were slower than I would have liked, but I was able to push when I needed it. The big problem on the bike was my front break. A nut came off that holds the break in place. So, it was rubbing and bouncing the whole ride. I was nervous when I first noticed it, but it did not seem like it was going to get in my way. Breaking was an adventure because my back break was soft and I had no front break! Take the start and break issue away and it would have been well over 20 MPH average which is not bad given that I have not ridden a bike in 3 weeks or much in the last 6 months.

Pays to have a bike shop go over the bike BEFORE the race season starts. Bottom line, I simply need to get saddle time and get to Dynamo intervals more consistently.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

extremely slow by my standards....mostly for two reasons....first, I left the bike shoes on and was slowed down getting to the rack. I did that because I was on the first rack at the entrance. It cost me more time than I anticipated. Second, I did not set up my shoes laces right. No yanks or speed laces, so I lost time. 10-15 seconds of T-time were added as a result.
Run
  • 28m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Finally the lack of form shows up. I actually ran a very decent first mile. Second mile was disappointing as the rollers took their toll. I tried my best, but I was on the edge of hamstring lock down mile 2/3. I did lots of positive talk to keep moving and not slow down or walk. When I reached the dirt road, I ramped it up to the finish.

Little bit of fun and tradition at the finish. Dan The Man was in his spot at the bottom of the hill in the crazy Whig and sun glasses cheering everyone on. I simply could not come down the hill and cross the line without a kick. As I was passing Dan, I hear him say to the guy behind me "hey it is only 100 M, you can pass him". F*** that I said to myself and kicked again to stop him from catching me! Great fun.

The run has always been my limiter. Partly because I can't seem to figure out how to run fast and my body is not designed to do it. Partly because I simply am not in top racing shape and there is not much to work with when I get to the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Mentally, I was very happy with this race. I had not raced in over 10 months which for me is abnormal. I like to race, I like going to races, it is a big part of the motivation to work out. I was fearing that I no longer found the fun and was on the verge of quitting. Sending time with a good friend like Chris, catching up with people at the race, putting in a good effort restored some desire to get back to work and find some form.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough work out time.

Event comments:

Tri The Parks does it right for a local sprint series. Consistently good execution makes me want to keep coming back.

Last updated: 2014-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:02 | 600 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: tyr Torque
Course: counter clock wise...buoys were about 100M apart.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:02 | 13.8 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:39 | 03.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-27 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park

2014-04-27 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4987619

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park
Nice job after a long time away from the start line at a tri!

I'm checking my brake calipers right now.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park

Started by AtlantaBill
Views: 1226 Posts: 1

2012-04-28 11:51 PM AtlantaBill

Started by tdl1972
Views: 1623 Posts: 3

2011-09-11 10:32 AM jfought

Started by ybedell
Views: 1158 Posts: 1

2011-09-10 6:49 PM ybedell

Started by ybedell
Views: 1063 Posts: 2

2011-05-02 6:36 AM autigers_1998

Started by rhambrick
Views: 1504 Posts: 2

2011-05-02 8:05 AM thecaptin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!