Centennial, Colorado
United States
South Suburban Parks and Recreation
Total Time = 37m 46s
Overall Rank = 141/231
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Brand spankin' new at this running thing ... no routine yet ... cereal for breakfast and lots of water.
Event warmup:

Kelly (daughter) flew in from Chicago to run with me. Walked around the park ... very nervous ... used porta potty ... did everything Kelly told me to do since she's experienced and I'm not. THIS IS MY VERY FIRST RACE AND I'M SO GLAD SHE'S HERE TO HOLD MY HAND!
Run
  • 37m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to stop and walk a few times to let my heart rate go down but that was ok ... my goal was to cross the finish line and I DID IT! It was a friendly neighborhood race (kids, dogs, normal people like me) and lots of fun.
What would you do differently?:

I trained too far/too fast and ended up with shin splints before the race but do or die I was going to run. Also didn't feel like I knew how to pace myself so I need to work on that. Spent the afternoon with frozen broccoli on my legs. I'll let them heal and then follow the plan I started out with ... not jumping ahead this time.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled around ... shins were SCREAMING at me. Drank gatorade and ate muffin/fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training ... too far/too fast ... need to work on this for next time.

Event comments:

The course was perfect for me ... I just didn't train like I should have ... otherwise ... it was FUN FUN FUN! This is my first step in preparing for my goal of doing a sprint triathlon in 2007.

Last updated: 2006-08-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:46 | 03.11 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 141/231
Performance: Average
Course: High Line Canal Trail around deKoevend Park and through the neighborhood ... out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-09 2:50 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: High Line Canal Run

2006-08-09 3:00 PM
in reply to: #506954

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: High Line Canal Run
Way to go out and get a start on this racing/fitness craze!  Great job finishing.
2006-08-14 3:22 PM
in reply to: #506954

Subject: RE: High Line Canal Run
Way to go on your first race! It's great to see new runners getting into the sport. Remember the fun, fun, fun part. That's key!

Also, the Highline Canal trail is probably the best place to start running races. Nice and flat and pretty tame on your legs. Good choice!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Line Canal Run Rss Feed