General Discussion Race Reports! » Drake Relays On The Roads Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Drake Relays On The Roads Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Des Moines, Iowa
United States
Drake Relays On-the-Roads
34F / 1C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 11m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate my usual pre race breakfast of a peanut cliff bar and a bottle of V8. Got showed, changed into my gear, and on my way to the race.
Event warmup:

Initially I was just walking around the start area and back and forth to my car. Five minutes before the start the dark clouds opened up and produced pouring rain with active lightening. We where let into the stadium building to keep warm and dry until a decision could be make. There where so many people in the building moving around and keeping warm was not possible. Found a patch of floor and did active stretches. So at first it was a 30 minute delay, 80 minutes later we finally got to head out to the start line.
Run
  • 2h 11m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

We lined up with some rain still falling, the wind still whipping at us sucking what little heat was left away from us. We where all huddled together trying to stay warm with no luck. Finally the race started 80 min behind schedule and we where off! I quickly warmed up and for once I was thankful for the weather, it helped to keep me cool and I was not as miserable as I thought I would be. I had planned this on being a training race only so I understood that I would not be setting a new PR. However the first six miles or so where almost totally flat with only a few hills and I was taking full advantage of the course and cool weather. Ate a gel at mile 7 and started to feel good again. I had Nunn in my water bottle and was taking a few sips of it through every mile. With this being a new course I was not sure of how bad these up coming hill would be. The fist of the three big hills on Grand was tough but doable. Bulldog Hill on the other hand was a beast! I ran up as much as I could until I had to walk for a minute then run up some more. Just when I thought it was finally over we rounded a corner and where greeted with yet another climb up Bulldog Hill. When I finally got over the crest I was so happy to have that one behind me. All my training on hills helped me but I understood that I needed more work on the steeper hills and not the medium rollers. The rest of the race went well, I was moving slower but knowing that I only had three miles left helped. Finally came to the end of the course, as I rounded the last turn I was on the famous blue track of Drake Stadium. Crossed the finish line and was amazed at how great I felt. Stopped to stretch and get some food before heading out.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! This was meant to be a training race, I was happy with how I handled the course and the weather.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I was happy with how I ran and my training showed with how little soreness I experienced in the hours after the race.

Event comments:

I wanted revenge on this course from my failure two years ago. But now I'm thinking of making it part of my yearly race schedule.

Last updated: 2014-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:11:10 | 13.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: This is a loop course that was changed from last like I ran it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-28 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Drake Relays On The Roads Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Drake Relays On The Roads Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Drake Relays On The Roads Half Marathon

Started by bmckibban
Views: 902 Posts: 1

2009-04-26 8:23 PM bmckibban

Started by disturbed275
Views: 2767 Posts: 8

2009-04-28 12:12 PM ratkat

Started by Swee
Views: 1014 Posts: 1

2009-04-26 12:49 PM Swee

Started by Randyn1
Views: 1198 Posts: 1

2008-05-28 10:02 PM Randyn1

Started by Swee
Views: 1544 Posts: 3

2008-04-29 9:14 PM douglasschaefer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.