Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-04-29 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: Lifetime Ban

Holy Shmoly!

Sterling got banned for life from the NBA for his comments...

Will be forced to sell his team if he does not do so voluntarily.

$2.5 million fine.  The highest in the NBA's constitution. 

What say you COJ? 

Did the punishment suit the crime?

2014-04-29 1:54 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Lifetime Ban
I just watched it too..

It's what I expected. I m glad he got it too.. There is no place for that kind of BS in today's NBA. Or any league for that matter.

Though, I'm not sure how they can force him to sell the team.

2014-04-29 1:56 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Expert

Originally posted by louamerica I just watched it too.. It's what I expected. I m glad he got it too.. There is no place for that kind of BS in today's NBA. Or any league for that matter. Though, I'm not sure how they can force him to sell the team.

Adam Silver said that with a 75% vote of the owners, they can force the sale to happen.  I can't imagine a current NBA owner not voting in favor of a forced sale, especilay in light of this decision.

2014-04-29 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul
How can they force him to pay the fine if he is banned from the league and/or sells the team?
2014-04-29 1:58 PM
in reply to: Nathanm74

Master
Memphis, TN
Probably in his contract as an owner in the NBA

They went all Pete Rose on him.

LIFE
2014-04-29 2:01 PM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Agree 100% with Silver's calls. Well done.

2014-04-29 2:02 PM
in reply to: Nathanm74

User image

Sensei
Sin City

This is not going to go easily.  The guy loves litigation, and technically it's not illegal to be a D-bag and racist.  Only illegal if you discriminate against people to the point you are breaking the law.  Freedom of speech protects even the lowest of the low like this tool.

ALSO, the recording was illegally obtained (in CA).  Apparently, no phone conversations can be recorded unless all parties on the call consent.

I just think there is going to be a long legal battle.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

2014-04-29 2:07 PM
in reply to: Kido

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by Kido

This is not going to go easily.  The guy loves litigation, and technically it's not illegal to be a D-bag and racist.  Only illegal if you discriminate against people to the point you are breaking the law.  Freedom of speech protects even the lowest of the low like this tool.

ALSO, the recording was illegally obtained (in CA).  Apparently, no phone conversations can be recorded unless all parties on the call consent.

When you cost your league money they can fire you. Nobody is arresting him and that is all the 1st amendment protects you from. It doesn't protect you from getting fired from your job. Who cares if it was illegally obtained? This isn't a court of law.

It's like if you get drunk and make an a$$ out of yourself at the company Christmas party you can be fired from your job. This is what happened here.

The Constitution does not apply to protecting you from getting fired just the government from arresting you.
2014-04-29 2:09 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

I feel like, in general, you should be able to say what you want in the privacy of your own home. 

But, if an organization feels that you're a representative of it, and they don't like how you are representing them, that is the issue of the organization, not your free speech rights. 

2014-04-29 2:16 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Holy Shmoly!

What say you COJ? 

Not sure if the punishment fit the "crime" or not, but the punishment likely fit the contractual relationship between the NBA and owners.  Also, the punishment fit the need to stop the bad press and stop the escalation of backlash (player walkouts, fan boycotts, etc.). 

2014-04-29 2:21 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Could they just dissolve the current team and then immediately form a new team with a new owner? 

I think this guy is getting exactly what he wanted which is publicity. 

2014-04-29 2:22 PM

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by Hook'em

Holy Shmoly!

What say you COJ? 

Not sure if the punishment fit the "crime" or not, but the punishment likely fit the contractual relationship between the NBA and owners.  Also, the punishment fit the need to stop the bad press and stop the escalation of backlash (player walkouts, fan boycotts, etc.). 

Players can't really walkout unless they go to play in Europe. They are contractually obligated to that Team/Organization.
2014-04-29 2:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

According to some legal guy on ESPN's Mike & Mike this morning, the contract between the owners and the NBA states that a situation like this can't be appealed in court.  It will go straight to NBA arbitration, and the arbitrator has final say. He also said that the contract does not mention due process, so it makes no difference if the recording was illegal. 

What the guy said was stupid and racist, but a lifetime ban is a bit over the top. Metta World Peace can attack a guy in the stands and get a one year suspension, but an owner who's a racist on a private phone call gets a lifetime ban?  I don't get it.

Edited by kevin_trapp 2014-04-29 2:27 PM
2014-04-29 2:31 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by kevin_trapp

According to some legal guy on ESPN's Mike & Mike this morning, the contract between the owners and the NBA states that a situation like this can't be appealed in court.  It will go straight to NBA arbitration, and the arbitrator has final say. He also said that the contract does not mention due process, so it makes no difference if the recording was illegal. 

What the guy said was stupid and racist, but a lifetime ban is a bit over the top. Metta World Peace can attack a guy in the stands and get a one year suspension, but an owner who's a racist on a private phone call gets a lifetime ban?  I don't get it.

When you are a public figure or a CEO of a NBA team nothing is "private"

The NBA is sending a message and this is huge but they had to do something to get the sponsors back.
2014-04-29 2:43 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Hook'em

Holy Shmoly!

What say you COJ? 

Ugh.  Semantics.....

Whatever you want to call it, does the punishment fit the "insert appropriate description"?  

I'm intrigued with the various takes on this.  Some are banging the "he's a racist and doesn't deserve the team" and others are saying "whatever happened to free speech?" 

I agree with those that have said that this is a long ways from being over and will probably get really nasty very quickly.

2014-04-29 2:43 PM
in reply to: csharp1171

Master
, California

Could they just dissolve the current team and then immediately form a new team with a new owner?

A glimmer of hope for Seattle

2014-04-29 2:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Originally posted by kevin_trapp

I don't have a clue what the rules are... but it cracks me up when people get all lawyery over things they don't know about. It's a franchise. Franchises have rules... and they all usually have a catch all that says if you make us look bad we will vote you off the island. It's not complicated, and it isn't criminal law. 

Edited by powerman 2014-04-29 2:56 PM
2014-04-29 2:50 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

NC
Originally posted by powerman

It's a franchise. Franchises have rules... and they all usually have a catch all that says if you make us look bad we will vote you off the island. It's not complicated, and it isn't criminal law. 

And it's not a question of freedom of speech.

2014-04-29 2:52 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by Goosedog

Originally posted by powerman

It's a franchise. Franchises have rules... and they all usually have a catch all that says if you make us look bad we will vote you off the island. It's not complicated, and it isn't criminal law. 

x2 on this. People watch Law and Order or CSI and think they are ready to step into a court room. This is a "I shot my mouth off" and got fired from my job issue. Nothing to do with the government.
2014-04-29 2:55 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by powerman It's a franchise. Franchises have rules... and they all usually have a catch all that says if you make us look bad we will vote you off the island. It's not complicated, and it isn't criminal law. 

Nope, not in the least.... the government can't restrict speech... they never promised there would be no consequences for saying stupid chit. You are completely free to say what ever you want and be unemployed. Knock your self out.

2014-04-29 2:58 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by powerman It's a franchise. Franchises have rules... and they all usually have a catch all that says if you make us look bad we will vote you off the island. It's not complicated, and it isn't criminal law. 

http://xkcd.com/1357/

2014-04-29 3:12 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite

Originally posted by spudone

http://xkcd.com/1357/

Awesome.

2014-04-29 4:21 PM

User image

This, again and again and again.

Anyone saying "whatever happened to free speech" hasn't read the First Amendment lately

2014-04-29 4:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by ChrisM

This, again and again and again.

Anyone saying "whatever happened to free speech" hasn't read the First Amendment lately

Not to hijack this thread, this goes along with it, but Larry Johnson (Grandmama) is now calling for an "all black league". Difference????

2014-04-29 5:01 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Gawd Damn.  I misspoke.  I KNOW what freedom of speech is. 

But please, continue to explain what it means over, and over, and over again.  I might get it after the 12 time someone defines it?

The point/question I was trying to make, is that if you have a private conversation that was illegally recorded people don't agree with (as terrible as it is) that they can ban you for life from the sport/your team/venue, force you to sell your franchise, and fine you 2.5 million dollars without any protection/recourse?  I guess the NBA can, due to the agreements they have with owners.  I'm not talking about protection from government persecution, but a legal argument that they can't simply take everything he has because they don't agree with what he said in a private conversation.  I'm not talking first amendment protection, but a legal argument/battle.

But back to my original statement?  I would imagine there will be a legal maneuvering from a guy who supposedly loves to litigate and has just about an infinite bankrole to pursue a battle...  I doubt this will go away quietly.  I don't agree with what he said - he's a Dbag.  I'm not complaining about the penalty.  I'm simply saying, I'm SURE he will find some way to fight back.

UNLESS some 81 yr old with 17 billion dollars just doesn't care if  he loses his team and walks away to do something more interesting.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lifetime Ban Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Banned Substances

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 1014 Posts: 12

2006-06-27 6:43 AM run4yrlif

Gay Marriage Ban: For or Against? Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 7081 Posts: 307

2006-06-17 12:45 PM dingorock

gay marriage ban Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by autumn
Views: 6017 Posts: 190

2006-03-25 9:06 AM akabak

Banned substances found in Armstrong hotel room

Started by jkbostic
Views: 1130 Posts: 13

2005-09-03 10:02 AM smokeater1833

Judged sports should be banned

Started by Wookiee
Views: 1157 Posts: 8

2004-08-24 4:25 PM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : May 30, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.