General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First ride with TrainerRoad fail! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-29 3:55 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: First ride with TrainerRoad fail!
I signed up for TR last night & did my first ride today. The setup was very easy. I don't have a power meter, but I do have a cadence/speed sensor on my bike. I got on the trainer at 5AM & the first suggested workout was the 8 minute FTP test. I cranked it out & felt the burn. My legs are still aching.

But after the test, I noticed it recorded my HR & cadence, but all other numbers were zero & my FTP was not adjusted. Turns out I didn't configure the VirtualPower correctly & it was not picking up my speed the whole workout (totally my fault for not going through the whole setup carefully). The solution? I have to repeat the 8 minute FTP test!

Toys & technology are great, but when user error screws them up, it sucks.

2014-04-29 4:00 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: First ride with TrainerRoad fail!
Originally posted by Meathead

I signed up for TR last night & did my first ride today. The setup was very easy. I don't have a power meter, but I do have a cadence/speed sensor on my bike. I got on the trainer at 5AM & the first suggested workout was the 8 minute FTP test. I cranked it out & felt the burn. My legs are still aching.

But after the test, I noticed it recorded my HR & cadence, but all other numbers were zero & my FTP was not adjusted. Turns out I didn't configure the VirtualPower correctly & it was not picking up my speed the whole workout (totally my fault for not going through the whole setup carefully). The solution? I have to repeat the 8 minute FTP test!

Toys & technology are great, but when user error screws them up, it sucks.

But think about all that fitness you gained by doing the 8 minute test and how much more you'll have after the 2nd one! To switch things up, maybe you should do the 20 minute fitness test. A new kind of suffering.
2014-04-29 4:15 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by dprocket
But think about all that fitness you gained by doing the 8 minute test and how much more you'll have after the 2nd one! To switch things up, maybe you should do the 20 minute fitness test. A new kind of suffering.

I'm new to cycling, so when I saw "8 minute test" I was like, hell, I can do 8 minutes. Then I opened it up & saw it was an hour. I thought to myself WTF!

After the 8 minute test, I can only imagine the sad state my quads would be in today if I did the 20 minute test!
2014-04-29 5:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by Meathead

Originally posted by dprocket

I'm new to cycling, so when I saw "8 minute test" I was like, hell, I can do 8 minutes. Then I opened it up & saw it was an hour. I thought to myself WTF!

After the 8 minute test, I can only imagine the sad state my quads would be in today if I did the 20 minute test!

I remember thinking the same thing. Actually, those two tests are about the same. If anything, the 8 minute test may be a bit harder as it requires two separate hard efforts. The 20 minute test requires some pacing because everyone almost always goes out too hard. Either way, it's intended to test your threshold limits, and its going to hurt!
2014-04-29 6:56 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Meathead I signed up for TR last night & did my first ride today. The setup was very easy. I don't have a power meter, but I do have a cadence/speed sensor on my bike. I got on the trainer at 5AM & the first suggested workout was the 8 minute FTP test. I cranked it out & felt the burn. My legs are still aching. But after the test, I noticed it recorded my HR & cadence, but all other numbers were zero & my FTP was not adjusted. Turns out I didn't configure the VirtualPower correctly & it was not picking up my speed the whole workout (totally my fault for not going through the whole setup carefully). The solution? I have to repeat the 8 minute FTP test! Toys & technology are great, but when user error screws them up, it sucks.
Your screen name fits!!!

My testing involves 5' test and a 20' test for calculating Critical Power.  No one likes testing...

2014-04-30 7:17 AM
in reply to: Donto

Master
Memphis, TN
FTP tests are difficult. I'm not a huge fan of the 8 minute test. I guess I'm just used to the 20 minute tests.

They are both hard.

Take a few days and repeat. Maybe do another ride to make sure the equipment is set up right.

2014-04-30 7:34 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Looks like I am all set up correctly. After playing with a few things last night, I started getting speed readings on TR & the dashboard is all lit up with cool data that I thought you only saw if you had a power meter. I also have my old Garmin FR410 on the bike as a bike computer & the numbers line up perfectly between the watch & TR. So it looks like I am calibrated correctly & good to go. While I was on the bike getting it set up, I realized how much my posterior still hurts from the test yesterday (remember, I am a complete novice on the bike), so I will probably do a light ride tomorrow & Saturday & retry the test next Tuesday.

@Donto...you aren't the first one to say that about me & my screen name! The more you see me around the forum, the more you will realize the high level of truth behind your statement!
2014-04-30 7:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

Since you're so new, get in a few rides first. Include some harder ones that will help you learn pacing for the tests. For the test interval (and many intervals in general) you'll want it to be flat (or just a slight ramp up) for the highest average you can get. The 8 minute tests may sound more appealing, but the 20 minute test should give you a better number to work with. All tests should sound quite hard as they're supposed to be all-in efforts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First ride with TrainerRoad fail! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First OWS fail!

Started by respro
Views: 2766 Posts: 12

2013-06-28 11:04 AM Tri Swim Coach

Just completed my first TrainerRoad workout - now what?

Started by jawgee
Views: 2189 Posts: 14

2012-08-31 1:57 PM jawgee

50 mile bike ride FAIL!

Started by ForTheLoveOfOregon
Views: 5939 Posts: 15

2011-04-28 7:00 AM wgraves7582

First Ride New Cervelo...First Crash New Cervelo

Started by Mad Lt.
Views: 1740 Posts: 15

2007-08-19 4:08 PM ranger5oh

First bike ride...First bike problem...

Started by seanaq64
Views: 1091 Posts: 4

2004-02-29 8:49 PM wrybosome
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.