General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about trail running... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-30 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Subject: Talk to me about trail running...
How are trail shoes different than road shoes?

In your N-1 experiences, how has going from the road to the trail been good/bad?

What trail things are their to consider that I don't have to worry about when running on the roads?

2014-04-30 7:06 PM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

Phoenix AZ
Subject: RE: Talk to me about trail running...
Originally posted by DV 1

How are trail shoes different than road shoes?

In your N-1 experiences, how has going from the road to the trail been good/bad?

What trail things are their to consider that I don't have to worry about when running on the roads?

trail shoes will typically give you more traction and protection from rocks and roots. you don't necessarily need trail shoes if you're just doing trails that are hard-packed dirt with few technical obstacles. but i was getting rock bruises from the sharp, jagged rocks on some of our desert trails out here so i picked up a pair of trail runners. the extra traction is nice too, esp. in on fine, loose dirt that tends to accumulate on the rocks here. but trail shoes aren't a necessity for everyone.

i have a lot more fun on the trails than on the road...it's like hiking but you're running. just mixing it up and getting out into the desert or the woods is exciting. the hills on the trials have helped me out (i hadn't done any hill training before) and having to pick up your legs to avoid obstacles has "opened up" my stride on the road.

out here, we've got to consider cactus, critters like snakes and bees, exposure (that is, the potential of falling off the trail/mountain) and if you're in remote areas, lack of access to water.
2014-04-30 7:14 PM

Your pace will be slower.
The uphills will seem more uphill.
Watch out for roots, rocks, hikers, porcupines, snakes.

Any shoe can be a trail shoe, but some are more trail than others.

It can get Cold and Dark quickly out there. Dark can lead to Lost. Cold, Dark, and Lost can kill you. Be smart.

Be courteous to other trail users.
Slow down or stop if you need to pass or let others pass by. Be sure to say hi to everybody.
Be sure to tell someone trustworthy where you are going and when you plan to be back.
Tell them what to do if you don't report back ie: call the local cops. (be sure to report back to them when finished)
Have fun and smell the trees.
2014-04-30 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Just speaking from my experience (N=1)....

Generally speaking trail shoes have more aggressive soles (more traction) and a lot of the shoes have some sort of rock plate (a thin layer of protection to keep sharp rocks, roots, etc from bruising the bottom of your feet). Having said that, I know plenty of folks that run on trails with road shoes. It really depends on the difficulty of the trail (rocky vs. hard packed dirt).

I enjoy trail running. Transitioning for road to trail isn't that difficult. You do have to pay attention to where your feet will land (especially on technical trails). You'll probably be a little sore after your first few runs, because you will use the small stabilizer muscles in your legs that aren't needed on the road. Enjoy the dirt!
2014-04-30 8:45 PM
in reply to: mobey

I've been working in some trail running over the last few months. First off, its fun. Even though I am running slower, it seems like I'm running faster, especially on narrow trails.

As far as safety goes, we don't have much dangerous wildlife where I run, except maybe a dog off a leash with the owner not far behind, and usually they are so happy to be running through the woods they are friendly enough. Occasionally I get to run out in some of our state parks when I go camping in the summer, and there are some bears, but they (black bears) will run off if they hear you coming, you can run with a bell or something. If it doesn't run off, just turnaround and slowly go back the way you came, a mother with cubs or a bear that is sick or injured can be aggressive. We have some copperheads and rattlesnakes too, and though I haven't come across one, I just watch where I am going.

Its good to run with someone if possible for safety, and if you are going alone, just make sure someone knows where you went.

Roots and rocks have injury potential, and I do fall somewhat regularly, but you just kinda have to roll with it. Wet rocks can be very slippery, and dry leaves and debris can cover unseen obstacles and ruts and whatnot.

You really just have to be more attentive, you can't just zone out. You can actually, and sometimes the peacefulness and scenery will lull you into a daze, but that will sooner or later have you falling on your face.

I don't get to do enough trail running to warrant buying trail shoes, but any decently cushioned running shoe I have worn has been fine, even on steep uphills, like reach out your arm and touch the hill directly in front of you steep.

And again, its fun.
2014-04-30 9:49 PM

User image

Master
It's a lot of fun!

Depends on where you live, but we have to worry about rocks, and mud that is as slick as snot when it's wet, and lumpy and hard as concrete when it's dry. It'll take off a layer of skin if you fall on it.

There's also grassy patches that hide holes and rocks, so you have to kind of survey the area ahead of you and be ready to change feet quick if you land on something sketchy. Center of gravity changes a bit so you can get low if you need to. We have some good hills we have to crawl up and down.

I have a pair of these because good traction is very important:

(adidas.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
adidas.jpg (8KB - 5 downloads)

2014-05-01 10:03 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would run nothing but trails if I could. Here's my bulleted list about trail running, adapted from my experience and knowledge gained from other runners:
Your pace will probably be slower. Plan your runs by time, not distance.
All those accessory and stabilizing muscles that get a free ride on the roads will now have to work for their glucose.
Tired muscles are clumsy muscles, which means you're increasingly likely to fall as your run goes on. Pay attention and be careful.
Hats limit the number of spider webs you eat and can offer protection from the sun and getting bonked on the head, but they can also limit your field of vision. Be aware.
If you fall on a street corner and break your ankle, someone will see you shortly. You may be hard to find if you fall in the woods. For the safety of your potential rescuers, please carry a whistle and/or a cell phone.
You won't trip over the thing you thought you would trip over. You will trip over the thing you never imagined you could trip over. Hopefully, nobody will see you.
Have a plan for dealing with unleashed dogs.
You're going to roll an ankle at some point. Have a plan for that too.
Memorize what your local varieties of poison ivy, oak, and sumac look like. Stinging nettles, too.
Pick up at least one piece of trash on your way out.
Find out what group maintains the trails you are using and either volunteer or make a donation.
2014-05-01 10:12 AM
in reply to: mrheathen

User image

Expert
, Michigan
These are all wonderful insights. I'd love to hear more as I embark on this next phase of exercise.
2014-05-01 10:23 AM

Agreed with what the others have said. Trail shoes tend to have a bit more agressive tread. I've also found that a lot of them have less cushioning than road shoes but this is made up for the fact that dirt is more forgiving than pavement.

You will definitely find that you use many more muscles in your legs than a pavement run. After the first few runs you may find that you have muscle soreness in places you haven't had from normal runs.

I love running trails. I find that a 20 mile run on trail as opposed to pavement leaves my legs in much better shape the next day. I really despise pavement and the beating it gives my legs.

Enjoy your trail runs!
2014-05-01 12:26 PM
in reply to: wannatri?

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

There are so many different types of terrain that one can call "trail running" that range from gravel paths to mountainous single track.  There is a huge variety of trails around here and I had never ventured into the tough stuff until this Winter when a few of my true trail runner buddies talked me into joining them for their weekly very early morning runs (usually in the dark).  I was very, very humbled.  The amount of leg strength required to run some of the trails was way beyond me but I stuck with it and recently ascended a 2 mile section of switchbacks without walking that earlier I could not even make halfway without walking while my heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest.  My buddies scamper up these mountainsides like they are nothing but I am a lot faster on the flats.  I think it is like horsepower vs. torque.

Overall, the trail running has increased my leg strength and I feel that extra power especially in the later stages of my runs.  I did try a trail HM and it just killled me.  I told myself I'd never do another one again but I was just ill prepared and out of my element.  You have to be patient and alter your expectations of pace. 

2014-05-04 1:15 PM

User image

Roch-cha-cha
I was a trail runner before I started doing tris. I loved it, but weak ankle from a previous break became problematic.

Trails are a wonderful break from the roads. A little harder in some aspects because you have to account for uneven terrain, but easier on the joints because of soft surfaces.

Rule #1...let perceived effort be your guide. If you're one of those who sets the Garmin for a set pace, you'll only frustrate yourself and other runners.

Other than that...have fun!

As for shoes, like others have said...flat and packed trails don't need actual trail shoes. But if your trails are rooty, uneven, or have hills, something with a good tread is helpful. If you are particularly clumsy, a shoe with a reinforced toe (tread rubber goes over the toe) will soften the blow of hitting roots.

Gore Tex shoes are pretty useless (and I say this as an up-state NYer that will run snowy trails) because they don't drain and are hot. Drainage is key. They do have minimalist running shoes these days. Personally I prefer a little more protection and run in either Salomon Speed Cross or Saucony Peregrine (great for combo pavement and trail)

The obvious benefit is not being near traffic and noise like on roads. But the seclusion of trails can be a safety issue. I always carry my phone, and I NEVER wear headphones (for awareness of what's around me, and for the fact that they can get caught in the foliage and are just a general pain ).

2014-05-08 3:13 PM

Veteran
the big thing to learn is how to fall. you will zone out when you think you are on a flat part and catch your foot on a root, or simply not pick your feet up high enough when you are tired and trip on something -- when you fall, tuck and roll, letting your shoulder hit first and roll as you fall. do not stick your hand out to catch yourself. you'll be dirty, and perhaps a few small scrapes, but nothing broken and off you go again.

when I trail run and I know it's an out and back, I will carry my water bottle couple miles into the trail then stash it at a tree so I don't have to try to run holding water bottle the whole way, but still have a water stop on the way back.

I hate running. I LOVE trail running.
2014-05-08 4:32 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

Orange County, California
I've never run on anything other than pavement. Yesterday I went for my first trail run and I had a blast. First off, its less "boring" than running on the road, sidewalk, etc. It's also more challenging. Not sure how to describe it, but there is a resistance I felt when running. Kind of like swinging a baseball bat with a donut on. When I later hit regular pavement, I felt faster and lighter - similar to swinging a bat without the donut after taking a few swings with it. Awesome analogy....

My 2 cents after my first trail run yesterday.
2014-05-08 5:30 PM
in reply to: markowma

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Learn to pick your feet up

2014-05-08 6:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Move over to the dark side, you will never regret it.

Work on getting your ankles stronger right away, lots of calf raises and ankle flexes. running trails will generally make you a stronger runner on the road, it does take awhile to properly learn how to do it well focus down on the trail 6 to 8 feet in front of you don't worry foot placement too much . your brain will tell your foot where to go almost on instinct once it gets coordinated with you eyes. You will roll an ankle, hook a root and take a header just roll with it when it happens and DON"T ever try to break your fall by jamming your arm out to break a fall it's sure way to break a wrist. Running down hill on trails is an acquired skill try and stay upright parallel to the slope to begin with and keep your strides short and close to start with keeping your feet right under your center of gravity, once you get used to it then you can lean down the hill a bit and open up your stride some and you will be flying down hills. Just go do it I think you love it, when I started running trails seriously I didn't get back on the road for almost 3 years.

While most people run trails slower once you get on to it you can run as fast or even faster then on the road depending on the difficulty of the terrain, I actually run a bit faster on trails once I get into a good rythym provide we are not mountain climbing.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-05-08 6:21 PM
2014-05-08 8:49 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by thebigb

Learn to pick your feet up

This! Damn roots. I did my first ultra in FL last month. Ran in Newtons for 2 years so bought their trail shoe. The laps of my ultra were about 8 miles trail and 2 miles road. I was torn about using trail vs road shoes because I didn't need the traction but the trail shoes felt a lot better over the roots. Dedicated trail shoes probably shouldn't be worn on road as I found out. 40 miles into a 50 mile run a section of my shoe fell off (not the lug). Had a second pair of shoes but was able to finish in the trail shoe. Trail running/ultras are just as addictive as tri's for me

2014-05-09 7:10 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Memphis, TN
Trail running is great but you have to contend with more bugs, snakes, tree roots, mud, tree branches that whack you in the face, did I say snakes already?

What you get is a more peaceful run with less impact with more fun. Your pace will be slower and do your best not to let that get into your head. You can't really zone out like you can on the road and go on auto-pilot. You have to pick up your feet more when you are fatigued or you will kick the tree roots and trip and fall. It does happen.

Trail shoes generally offer less support because you need less with the lower impact of trails. With less material means when you cross a small stream or knee high stream that they will dry out MUCH faster. More traction is really needed on the hills that are muddy. Trying to climb that in road shoes can be funny when you have no real traction. I have trail shoes and love them.

Have fun with it and watch out for snakes and poison ivy.

Edited by Jtiger 2014-05-09 7:11 AM
2014-05-09 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
It's hard to beat a good day of trail running...

"Pick your feet up" is great advice...
2014-05-09 11:04 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Talk to me about trail running...

OK

Trail running is wonderful. Running+

Benefits include:

Better mental engagement in your run as you navigate the terrain.
A more diverse workout
Softer surfaces and so some injury prevention potential
More varied surfaces to increase flexibility and strength.

Drawbacks include:

Wild things - that may or may not chase you, leave gifts underfoot, try to bite you, dive attack or spray you.
Wiping out - still softer than doing it on tarmac

Cross country and or trail running are in my book pure running.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about trail running... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trail running is improving my overall running... Pages: 1 2

Started by bradaskins
Views: 2334 Posts: 26

2010-12-22 10:26 AM Donskiman

Talk to me about Newton's and running styles Pages: 1 2

Started by nc452010
Views: 2315 Posts: 27

2010-09-08 7:42 AM Scout7

Trail shoes for trail running necessary or not?

Started by Bcozican
Views: 1551 Posts: 17

2009-10-27 8:51 AM agarose2000

trail running shoes, but not running on trails

Started by Robin in AZ
Views: 809 Posts: 2

2006-07-13 5:38 PM swbkrun

Trail Running...yuck running

Started by swimskaz
Views: 1043 Posts: 12

2005-11-02 12:44 PM Dr Hammer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.