General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting to the Start without waking spouse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-01 3:12 PM

User image

Subject: Getting to the Start without waking spouse
So, I try to be considerate of my wife and children when I work out. Go early and sneak out or go late after kids in bed. But, when traveling to a race (next one is 70.3) we're all piled into two rooms and the hotel is normally at least 2 to 3 miles from the start. I hate to wake my wife to take me to the start. And, I can't leave my wife and kids at hotel without a vehicle for 6+ hours while I complete the race since they'd like to see me along the course, and at least at the finish. I'm thinking of taking along an extra bike and just ride to the transition area and the start. Anyone else do this? Other ideas?

2014-05-01 3:16 PM
in reply to: jmcquigg

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Getting to the Start without waking spouse

My first thought was to find a hotel with a shuttle service. If the event is big enough, they might be planning on having a number of guests that are participating and may be ready for that.

2014-05-01 3:17 PM

User image

Find another athlete staying at the hotel and beg for a ride to the start?
2014-05-01 3:24 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

As honorable as your intentions are, if it was me I'd wake them the one time of the year you have a big race.  Have you asked your wife her thoughts?  Maybe she wouldn't mind.

2014-05-01 3:43 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

She doesn't mind. I just hate to start her day off that early on her vacation
2014-05-01 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by jmcquigg

So, I try to be considerate of my wife and children when I work out. Go early and sneak out or go late after kids in bed. But, when traveling to a race (next one is 70.3) we're all piled into two rooms and the hotel is normally at least 2 to 3 miles from the start. I hate to wake my wife to take me to the start. And, I can't leave my wife and kids at hotel without a vehicle for 6+ hours while I complete the race since they'd like to see me along the course, and at least at the finish. I'm thinking of taking along an extra bike and just ride to the transition area and the start. Anyone else do this? Other ideas?

I almost always travel with my family so I have experience with this.

If it's only 2-3 miles from the race start, an extra bike is a viable option.

I've posted in state forums and asked for a ride from someone I hoped was not a serial killer and it worked out fine (be sure to ask and make sure they aren't a serial killer). My wife has also taken me to transition and sat in the car with the kids (all 4 of them) and let them / hoped they would / wished they would sleep for a couple of hours. I've also contemplated taking a sitter along with us to stay in the room with the kids while the wife took me early. Lastly, I have also tricked other families into going on a "road trip" with us while I did this triathlon thing. I successfully convinced them that it was a trip for "fun" and this triathlon was a minor thing I was doing on Sunday morning. This gave us flexibility to let them watch the kids while I went to transition. That strategy has worked well for me on the rare occasion that I am successful in finding someone to fall for it. (One of these was to Omaha where I said the purpose of the trip was the Omaha zoo for the kids--we went after the triathlon). A 70.3 will be a trickier deal given the length of time you'll be "out of pocket" so your story/plan may have to get more elaborate.

2014-05-01 4:04 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by jmcquigg She doesn't mind. I just hate to start her day off that early on her vacation

you sir, are a better man than I. 

2014-05-01 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4990312

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
2014-05-01 10:46 PM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Let your wife and kids take you. You will be excited, and they will see that. In 20 years they will remember waking up stupid early in the morning on vacation to "help" their dad rock a huge race. They will remember that way more than anything else they do on vacation.
2014-05-02 1:08 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
for my ironman I had the same concern but didn't have much choice but to wake them. It was a small local one so not muh fanfare around it but my 2yr old daughter loved it (once she woke up properly!) - going out in the dark that early, there was a huge full moon that she was fasinated with and then the sun started to rise and she was in amazement! As someone else said above, yes it was early for them too, but they got to share my excitement (and nerves!) If they've been supportive of all your training so far then I'm sure they'll want to see you off!
2014-05-02 7:37 AM
in reply to: Mtnwesttri

New user
I agree that the kids will likely be excited to wake up early for the race and will remember it going forward. I tend to go alone since all i have done are local races, but they still talk about the time they woke up when it was still dark, had hot chocolate and pop tarts, and watched daddy swim in the dark with all his friends (it was a very overcast morning).

2014-05-02 8:10 AM
in reply to: BigDLobo

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I have three kids and a wife and NONE of them can even be closely considered "morning people".  That being said, if they have traveled with me to a race, they want to see the race. I pile all 4 of the crabby apples into the car with me, drive to the race site, and head to transition.  My wife then lays the seats down in the back of my SUV and they all go back to sleep for an hour or two depending on the time available.  The boys love it.  It's like camping out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting to the Start without waking spouse Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spouse starting to tri

Started by Qak180
Views: 1601 Posts: 22

2013-03-01 2:42 PM jobaxas

Starting Base 3, First race of season on sunday, woke up with sore throat

Started by Syndacit
Views: 777 Posts: 4

2010-04-07 7:54 AM Syndacit

Getting my spouse to compete,,,,she would be great

Started by bostonredsox
Views: 1555 Posts: 23

2010-04-06 11:32 AM bostonredsox

The Run Leg - Getting Started

Started by skungie
Views: 1547 Posts: 15

2004-12-22 1:56 PM umbach

getting started

Started by wanttotri
Views: 973 Posts: 8

2014-02-12 8:54 AM taylorz13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 24, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
comments : 0
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.