General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-01 10:41 PM

User image

Subject: Wetsuit advice
Hi I am moving from texas where wetsuits are not needed. Any advice on wetsuits would be welcome - full or not, thickness, brands, where to buy etc. Aiming to do the hood river oly plus swim portion of Pdx tri in a relay. All advice welcome!

2014-05-02 1:50 AM
in reply to: pmcroome

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Wetsuit advice
In general, you need a wetsuit most of the year for most OWS in Oregon. Exception might be if the swim is in a fairly shallow lake in late summer. Rivers are generally cold, as are most lakes. The air temps are usually quite cool (50's in valley, 40's at altitude) in summer in the morning too, when most tris start. Some races (i.e. Pac Crest near Bend) have REALLY cold water (as in under 60 degrees some years). Best to have a full wetsuit, booties and neoprene hood too if thinking about early-season races or those at altitude like Pac Crest. You could also get a sleeveless or shorty for more marginal conditions. ProMotion is a wetsuit company based in Hood River and they usually have some good deals on tri wetsuits; excellent service, particularly if you're in Oregon anyway. I personally have a TYR Category 1 full wetsuit, and a sleeveless shorty from ProMotion for warmer conditions and, believe it or not, sometimes the outdoor pool! I'm in Eugene when not overseas--our only tri store and club closed last year, so there's nowhere that reliably has wetsuits now. I think there's a tri store called Athlete's Lounge in Portland; failing that, ordering online from somewhere with a good return policy would be best.
2014-05-02 8:23 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Thanks, that's good info. I have read that it is all about how well the suit fits, so I am reluctant to order a bunch on line, Zappo's style. I'll probably go to a store instead.
2014-05-04 5:19 PM
in reply to: pmcroome

Master
portland, or
Hi,

I'm one of the owners of Athletes Lounge. We're a triathlon retail store with a full selection of wetsuits from Blue Seventy, Nineteen and Aqua Sphere in stock. We also rent wetsuits. Let me know if you have any questions.

scott
2014-05-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: yaqui

User image

Hi Scott! I am in Portland this weekend (I am in the process of moving) - I will drop by. Came by your store once before and loved it.

Thanks!

Philip
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit advice Rss Feed