Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 21m 53s
Overall Rank = 101/1684
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/104
Pre-race routine:

Slept ok for sleeping on an air mattress. Woke up around 3:45 and just tossed and turned from there so I said screw it and got up. My dad and I had rolled into Champaign the night before and were staying at my Sister and brother in laws house along with my other sister and bro-in-law. I made the morning coffee and ate before anyone else had even gotten up. Turns out I slept better than all the rest of them. They were all fairly nervous and I just wasn't I guess. We got ourselves ready to go and headed out the door around 5:45 and took the 5 minute drive over to the building where my sister works at. It is about 100 yards from the start line and easy parking! We can get inside the building and do all our stretching and bathroom stuff there without any lines. At around 6:35 we headed out to the start line.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. I really don't run much before an event. I feel I don't need to just for the pure fact I usually am fine. Got right behind the 7:04 pacer and talked too some of the people around us!
Run
  • 3h 21m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Well when they said Go! I knew there was probably going to be problems for me later on. My stomach had tightened up as soon as we started to run. GRRRR! WTF! I had used the bathroom about 4-5 times already this morning and everything was so to say "coming out solid" so I'm not sure what the deal was. Either way I knew it probably wasn't going to turn out great.

Our pacer had told us the first mile we would run possibly 5-10 seconds slower just to make sure we didn't get caught up in the start of the race "sprint". We ended up splitting I think like a 6:55 or so...so much for 5-10 seconds slower. I was feeling fine. Heart rate was only in the low 150's and my legs didn't even feel bad at all. The stomach was still making me wonder what would happen and I secretly was putting hopes that by 7-10 miles in it would be a complete afterthought! I ran the half last year and paced off this group for 6 miles then took off. This year it seemed A LOT of people were running with us. I figured either there was a lot of fast runners or people who had no clue what they were doing. Turns out they had no clue because within 8 miles or so we had reduced over 1/2 the people who had started with us.

I think they really need to get more water stations next year. The start temp was around 53 or so but by the time I finished it had easily warmed up into the mid 70's. Every two-2.5 miles for water isn't enough when you have this many people running! I had to change my plans when I took a gel somewhat so that I would have some water to wash it down with. Either way I kept on going!

The first 13.1 we turned in a 1:31:52. A tad fast but he said that he liked to have a :30 second cushion for the second half. At around mile 13.5 or so it was like a switch going off in my legs. Literally one minute I was running real loose...the next my legs were cramping up in the quad area...OMG NO!!!! I really attribute this to the stomach and dehydration I would say. I did bring some salt pills with me and had only taken 1 during the first hour. At around mile 15.5 I was still with the pace group but told myself to back off otherwise it would be an epic blow up.

It was mentally tough to watch them slowly gain on me after running with the same 8-10 guys for 15 plus miles but I chalked this up to just not being the day I wanted. There went my dreams of qualifying for Boston! Either way I trooped on and my legs continued to get worse. By mile 18 or so I was miserable. I had taken another salt pill and gel again. My schedule was to take a gel every twenty minutes starting at around 15 minutes into the race. It worked in training!

By mile 20 I knew it was going to get ugly. I had hit a wall or two by then but had been able to "run" through it but, those thoughts of never doing another marathon had already creeped into my head... Around mile 21.5 with no warning at all my right hamstring/quad locked up. I about fell onto the ground and was reduced to standing there screaming in agony from the pain. There were some guys roofing a house nearby and they probably had a good laugh from my pain. After about 30 seconds or so I started to take slow walking steps to try and get it to work out. Eventually I turned that into a slow jog. I think that mile was a 10:30 or so. Slowest I had by over a minute I believe. I made it to the next aid station and walked through it and downed two salt pills and as much water as my stomach could handle at this point.

After that it was a battle to just keep on running. I ended up walking two more times for short distances and was passed by the 3:15 pacer group. Demoralizing for sure but, they were having a far better race than I was. In the end I almost locked my legs up again just before Memorial stadium. When running down the hill before you turn in I tripped due too my left calf cramping up and almost biffed it. My usual sprint across the field was turned into a labored hurtful "jog" across the finish line. Once I stopped moving my legs locked up and I just stood there shuffling towards the end zone.

My sister had come and found me. She brought me back to the rest of the family and we talked for a bit. I told them I was ready to go and keep moving. So we made our way out of the stadium and I took one look at the massage lines and just shook my head...
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. They say Hindsight is 20/20 and if I knew it was going to get this bad I would have moved myself to the 3:15 pacer group and just ran with them and finished a good 5 minutes faster. This was my first stand alone "marathon" outside of Ironman. It was different and had more walls to be broken through than the IM one did. Overall I finished and that's what counts. There are a lot of people out there that can't even do this race. I'm just glad I can run!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car and we drove back and started some beer and showers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach issues and dehydration.

Event comments:

This really is a good race. Just wish there was more aid stations. You have 20k runners...no excuse not to have more!

Last updated: 2014-03-11 12:00 AM
Running
03:21:53 | 26.2 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/104
Overall: 101/1684
Performance: Bad
Course: Pretty flat course for the most part. There are some "hills" around mile 23-24 along the golf course area but this is flat land... You start off the first eleven or so miles in Urbana then move your' way into Champaign. Start line is right by the basketball arena and then you finish inside Memorial Stadium at the 50 yard line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-02 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon 5K

Started by thunda78
Views: 628 Posts: 1

2013-04-29 12:34 PM thunda78

Started by hornswil
Views: 636 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 11:51 PM hornswil

Started by tbcoffee
Views: 800 Posts: 1

2012-04-29 9:33 PM tbcoffee

Started by tmoran80
Views: 1052 Posts: 2

2011-05-01 9:11 AM SoccerGK

Started by swimmom2002
Views: 872 Posts: 1

2011-04-30 7:41 PM swimmom2002
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.
date : May 7, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
If you have running problems or just want to improve your running, this video will serve to show you how a ChiRunning clinic is conducted and the philosophy behind it.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.