86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 51s
Overall Rank = 666/
Age Group = M 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 48/
Pre-race routine:

History:
Last year was my 1st season of triathlon. The start of my season was derailed when I shattered my collarbone in a bike training accident before the season started. Surgery and 3 months of physical therapy later I was determine to race. Although undertrained from my training hiatus, I salvaged the season and did 2 races (1 sprint and 1 olympic) and instantly fell in love with triathlon.

Aside from the broken collarbone, 2013 was a monumentally shitty year for me. I wanted to start 2014 with a new attitude and dedication to helping others (and maybe erase my karmic deficit). So, I signed up to do St. Anthony’s Triathlon with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training. It was a truly rewarding experience. There were 65 participants from chapters across the US and together we helped fund-raise over $300K toward curing blood cancers!
There’s still time to donate…. http://pages.teamintraining.org/ct/anttry14/bsubach
2014 triathlon season debut
I felt great going into this race. I am in far better shape than last season since the broken set me back especially in my run fitness. I had what I felt was a great taper and I felt confident that I could improve on my 2:42 from last year at a similarly flat and fast course in CT. My only concerns about the race were how I’d be affected by the heat and humidity after a long cold winter of training here in Connecticut.

Swim
  • 33m 22s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Admittedly, I didn’t have a lot of time to practice my open water swimming…largely due to the never-ending winter here in the northeast. I wasn’t too concerned as I am a generally comfortable swimmer and have accepted my MOP status based on the amount of effort I put into swim training. The swim course was shaped like the big dipper constellation or a frying pan. We swam parallel to shore for probably half a mile in calm water before making a hard left ‘out to sea’. The water seemed to become choppier once we made the left turn and I found it hard to swim through the choppiness and navigate through the swarms of people on the course. The choppiness continued as we made a right, again swimming parallel to shore before one final right turn toward shore. There was a stair exit with volunteers helping to pull swimmers out of the water.
I was not prepared for the choppiness of the water and although I wasn’t surprised to see 33:xx when I exited, I did feel slightly disappointed. I swam a 28:xx last year in CT only a few months removed from my broken collar-bone. Was the time difference because of conditions or did I let my training slip? In any event, I felt comfortable and fresh coming out of the water and was ready to attack the bike course.

What would you do differently?:

Practice OWS. Swim more in general.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 16m 8s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.52 km/hr
Comments:

Hopped on the bike and started the relatively flat course. I did a 1:17 bike last year on a similar course. I was excited to see if the shortie aero bars I had installed (I was also re-fitted to my bike) on my road bike and increased training would shave a few minutes off of my bike split. My legs felt great the day before the race as I went out for a short training ride with my charity team. My legs just didn’t quite feel there the day of the race. I feel that I have a better performance in me on the bike but rode a solid 1:16. Going to spend more time in the saddle and re-evaluate the type of training I do to see if I can become a stronger biker.

Re-evaluate bike training. More intervals?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 52m 50s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Wow, was it hot! My inner quads were quite sore coming off the bike, which I was little surprised by. I started off at what felt like a slow plodding pace. I use HRM and RPE only and do not gauge pace on my watch. My heart rate was in the 160s at the start so plan was to maintain and pick it up at mile 4 if I had the energy. I’ve run a half marathon in the high 160s / low 170s for HR so I felt I could sustain this pace. Key word being thought. Although I felt like I was absolutely crawling along, I was passing a ton of people, many of whom had already begun walking. I hit the 1st mile marker and peaked at the elapsed time on my watch and realized I was running an 8 min/mile pace. Not as fast as I was expecting (especially since I had trained long bricks @ tempo pace faster) but reasonable given the heat. I continued on, stopping only at aid stations to grab water or ice. The desire to walk grew stronger and stronger as the race progressed. I walked way more than I would have liked during the second half of the race and my 8 min / mile pace turned to a 9 min/mile pace. I finished with 8:30 pace which is disappointing since I ran just as fast last year with far less run miles in training. I was also far speedier this year in the running I did do (both racing and training paces for the same HR). Did the weather get the best of me? Did I overcook the bike? Did I go out too fast on the run? Hard to say, probably a combination. I need to do more long brick workouts and also work on my mental toughness. I regret giving in to the temptation to walk as much as I did.

Longer brick workouts.
Post race

Last updated: 2014-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:22 | 1500 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 'Frying pan' - parallel to shore for about 1/2 mile, hard left and two rights back to shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:08 | 40 kms | 31.52 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:50 | 10 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: HOT run! Flat course through suburbs of St. Petersburg. Great fan support.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-02 12:44 PM

User image

New user
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2014-05-04 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4990816

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon

Well done and congrats.  St. A's swim is always a tough one.  The bike has so many turns.  And the run is always toasty.  Thankfully we have actually had a cool spring here this year.  I hope you had a fun time!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Anthony's Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 5258 Posts: 36

2005-05-02 3:07 PM scuba-punk

St. Anthony's Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 2482 Posts: 26

2005-05-02 1:36 PM scuba-punk

St. Anthony's Triathlon

Started by E-Bell
Views: 1413 Posts: 1

2004-11-01 4:50 PM E-Bell

St. Anthony's Triathlon

Started by cmatt
Views: 1030 Posts: 3

2004-04-28 10:13 AM kgart

St. Anthony's Triathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 1401 Posts: 9

2004-04-28 9:40 AM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2010
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
Doug was one of the few swimming coaches who really appreciated how important swimming technique is and would spend as much or more time with his athletes making sure they got it right.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.