General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike recall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-02 8:41 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Bike recall

My Felt B16 has recently had a part recalled. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Felt-Bicycles-Recalls-Triathlon-Bicycles/

Fine, the Felt website said to take it to my local Felt dealer which I did today. My local Felt dealer (same shop where I bought the bike) is an hour drive one way so not like I can just drop in anytime. I called ahead, told them I was coming, where I was coming from and why. I got there and the shop guy just eyeballed the part and said it looks fine to him.

Am I confused or does a recall mean that the part is actually replaced? I mean why did I bother driving all that way just for them to look at it? I could have had the bike shop guy in town do that and not wasted 2 hours of my day in the van!

Has anyone else had a recall and what was your experience? I don't really want to waste a lot of energy on this if the above description is normal procedure.

2014-05-02 8:55 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Subject: RE: Bike recall

The listed remedy in the recall is 

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled bicycles and contact their local Felt Bicycles dealer for a free inspection and steer tube replacement. 

I would contact Felt directly and ask them if they intended for all steer tubes to be replaced or if the inspection was sufficient.  It's sort of unclear in the recall details.

2014-05-03 12:17 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Sounds like a frame replacement to me.
2014-05-03 5:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I think that's an expansion on a couple years ago they had a recall of the front fork of the B12. Took mine to the dealer, they shipped it to Felt, they replaced the fork.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as "that looks good" for a recall, they're either recalled or they're not and when you're talking about sudden separation of the handlebars with the fork, that's not something to screw around with.

(edit) You want to make sure your LBS is positive your bike is fine, have them write out their findings and sign it so you can have a copy "just in case."
See if they'll go for it or if suddenly your bike needs to go back to Felt.

Edited by DanielG 2014-05-03 5:53 AM
2014-05-03 6:31 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by DanielG I think that's an expansion on a couple years ago they had a recall of the front fork of the B12. Took mine to the dealer, they shipped it to Felt, they replaced the fork. I'm not sure there is such a thing as "that looks good" for a recall, they're either recalled or they're not and when you're talking about sudden separation of the handlebars with the fork, that's not something to screw around with. (edit) You want to make sure your LBS is positive your bike is fine, have them write out their findings and sign it so you can have a copy "just in case." See if they'll go for it or if suddenly your bike needs to go back to Felt.

This is what I was thinking on my drive home. Dang it, why didn't have them put it in writing!

I'll call Felt and see what the deal is.

2014-05-03 7:37 AM

User image

I would just have felt ship you the part and replace it yourself.
I didn't read it, but if its just a tube replacement, do you have the skill to handle that yourself?

2014-05-03 7:45 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
That LBS is not worth much… the recall is quite clear and it's not just eyeballing the part and claiming it's fine. If it's part of the recall (and the serial# will tell you if it is), then the fork needs to be replaced. Call Felt and discuss this with them. Also ask them to contact the Felt dealer to explain what needs to be done.
2014-05-03 8:49 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Jason N

The listed remedy in the recall is 

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled bicycles and contact their local Felt Bicycles dealer for a free inspection and steer tube replacement. 

I would contact Felt directly and ask them if they intended for all steer tubes to be replaced or if the inspection was sufficient.  It's sort of unclear in the recall details.

I think the italics is a quote from Felt.  If so, it's a replacement and I wouldn't stop short of that.  I'm even thinking of taking my 2012 in to have it inspected my LBS just to have the paperwork if something should happen to mine.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike recall Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

More Felt bike's recalled

Started by mike761
Views: 512 Posts: 2

2014-04-29 7:48 AM DanielG

Felt Bike Recall - 2009 models

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 528 Posts: 1

2010-06-30 9:13 PM DiOnMaui

Urgent Recall on bike trainers from the Consumer Product Saftey Commision

Started by Ontherun
Views: 572 Posts: 2

2006-03-07 4:42 PM nmendoza

Urgent Recall on bike trainers from the Consumer Product Saftey Commision

Started by Ontherun
Views: 1702 Posts: 13

2006-03-08 1:53 PM run131

Bike parts recall

Started by madcow
Views: 555 Posts: 6

2004-10-01 1:21 AM madcow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.