General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasonable Cost? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-02 10:24 PM

Subject: Reasonable Cost?
Hi all,

I am just wondering what the general opinion is about the cost of a triathlon. I have been racing in a local triathlon for a few years--small town, pool sprint triathlon (less than 300 participants). I seem to remember paying about $45-$50 to participate and the proceeds go to the local swim teams. This year, I was late in signing up and I saw that the cost has gone up to $85! In addition, they are requiring that you join the national triathlon organization for an additional $12--this would put it at $97.

I am tempted not to do it, even though I enjoy this particular race in my town--it is a well-run event.

I wrote to the organizers wondering why it was so expensive, but no response.

What are your views on this? Just curious...it has kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm, because I like to do a lot of difference races and you can't be throwing money around...

2014-05-02 10:32 PM
in reply to: itricorvallis

User image

Subject: RE: Reasonable Cost?
That's standard for sprint races in Idaho... They only go up from there. If you race more than three times, get a yearly license and that will save you 12 bucks at sign up.
2014-05-02 10:33 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
That sounds about right for late sign-up in my area.

And the $12 is for a one-day USAT membership -- basically covers you insurance wise. If you don't race at USAT sanctioned events then you don't need to pay the $12!

My advice, sign up early! But the prices will inevitably go up as the sport grows in popularity.
2014-05-02 10:39 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by itricorvallis

Hi all,

I am just wondering what the general opinion is about the cost of a triathlon. I have been racing in a local triathlon for a few years--small town, pool sprint triathlon (less than 300 participants). I seem to remember paying about $45-$50 to participate and the proceeds go to the local swim teams. This year, I was late in signing up and I saw that the cost has gone up to $85! In addition, they are requiring that you join the national triathlon organization for an additional $12--this would put it at $97.

I am tempted not to do it, even though I enjoy this particular race in my town--it is a well-run event.

I wrote to the organizers wondering why it was so expensive, but no response.

What are your views on this? Just curious...it has kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm, because I like to do a lot of difference races and you can't be throwing money around...

just about right if your doing 5+ tris in a year better avail USAT annual membership.
2014-05-02 10:42 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Champion
MA

Only you know if the price is reasonable or not.

Prices have gone up in recent years with permit, insurance, and police cost increases among other things.

You normally save money signing up early for races as well and it appears you missed that savings this year.

2014-05-03 7:43 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

How many years ago was it 45-55?
last year or 10 years ago?

$85 seems very reasonable to me for a late sign up.
the USAT membership is now pretty much standard.
Think of it as them meeting certain safety requirements to ensure they have the right amount of emergency responders on site to take care of any medical problem you may have.

Its $120 for Boston for early sign up. ..

2014-05-03 7:48 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
That sounds pretty reasonable to me. It varies from area to area though. In some parts of the country, it just costs a lot for permits, EMT's, police, etc. As most race directors would tell you, you don't make money on running a tri event… the cost pretty much covers the organizational cost. Once you start to look at all the things that goes in to organizing it, the time of the RD and race organization, I bet they're working for a few $ per hour (if that…)
2014-05-03 9:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

That's a standard price nowadays but it's not reasonable (as it pertains to non-super high cost of living areas).  $100 sprint races and $200 olympic races are part of what's hurting the local and regional triathlon scene.  These prices grew out of the salad days 3-5 years back when every race was growing like crazy and a zillion other races grew out of that popularity.  Guess what?  The local and regional tri scene leveled out in 2012, dropped in 2013 and will continue to drop.  Race organizers need to lower their prices or risk going out of business.  I live in Houston which has a real strong triathlon scene and the number of registrants at most of the local races is what I would consider borderline pathetic.  I don't think there's drastically less people racing overall (but definitely less than say 2011), just more races dividing up the number of racers.  The industry cannot support having 10 races for example that only attract 100-150 people each.  But three or four races with 400-500 each is certainly more than reasonable (or maybe two with 750 each).  You will see a tremendous thinning of the herd over the next two years.  Most local races will not exist in two years.

Dan Empfield wrote a good piece about it a couple of months back: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/Stakeholders_4207.html

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-05-03 9:04 AM
2014-05-03 9:15 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Reasonable price, but it is the value that really matters. Some of the local races that are more in the $65 range I have found to have poor traffic management and the ride can get a bit dicey. I'd rather pay a few more bucks to not have to worry about some local plowing into me on the bike. I'd have to come out of aero if that happens -- the horror.
2014-05-03 9:45 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Veteran
There ARE less people racing than 5 years ago....and those people tend to do fewer races than they used to. Why do you think long-standing races like the Danskin Tri are gone?

Participating in triathlon is expensive....and the majority of people who can AFFORD a luxury item like a multi-sport habit have a fair amount of disposable income.....who do you think our bad economy and unemployment hits hardest?

To answer the question $85 seems to be the new $55....and is the standard price in my area.
2014-05-03 11:19 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Oysterboy Reasonable price, but it is the value that really matters. Some of the local races that are more in the $65 range I have found to have poor traffic management and the ride can get a bit dicey. I'd rather pay a few more bucks to not have to worry about some local plowing into me on the bike. I'd have to come out of aero if that happens -- the horror.

The reason the $65 races have "poor" whatever is because there's nobody racing.  So $65 x low # of participants equals low revenue to which to pay expenses.  There's just too many races and not enough participants to fill these races to anything beyond a laughable level.

There's no way many of these local races are making money nowadays.  I think 2014 is the last year many RD's hold out hoping things will get better (things will not get better) and a lot of races are either going to cancel this year or won't be around for 2015.  The numbers just aren't there.

It's natural selection.  The number of races will dwindle down to 2009-2011 levels so less races but more participants per race.

2014-05-03 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Sounds about right. Sign up early and save a few bucks. I'm signing up for an International distance in 2 weeks and could have saved $20 but procrastinated and it's going to cost me $95 (+ I have a yearly USAT membership). When you think about the logistics of putting on a triathlon the fee isn't horrible. If you have a problem with that price don't ever think of doing a WTC race
2014-05-03 7:06 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

"The entry fee for the New York Ironman last August ballooned to as much as $1,200. Most Ironman races, though, cost around $600. A sprint triathlon, according to USA Triathlon, runs about $30 to $50. "

This quote is from Bloomberg--granted it is from Nov. 2012, but it still seems steep. In Oregon, truly, the average is as I said in my original post. If there is an average regional cost, it seems that folks should stick to it. I can see race-day registration being a lot higher, but with folks dealing with injuries, you get screwed by early registration.

I don't know--a pool triathlon in a small town? $60 tops IMO--thanks all and have a good racing season!
2014-05-03 7:08 PM
in reply to: audiojan

It wouldn't be a fundraiser if they weren't making money--they say this is a big fundraiser for the swim teams--pretty much all volunteer-staffed!
2014-05-04 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by itricorvallis

"The entry fee for the New York Ironman last August ballooned to as much as $1,200. Most Ironman races, though, cost around $600. A sprint triathlon, according to USA Triathlon, runs about $30 to $50. "

This quote is from Bloomberg--granted it is from Nov. 2012, but it still seems steep. In Oregon, truly, the average is as I said in my original post. If there is an average regional cost, it seems that folks should stick to it. I can see race-day registration being a lot higher, but with folks dealing with injuries, you get screwed by early registration.

I don't know--a pool triathlon in a small town? $60 tops IMO--thanks all and have a good racing season!

How many road running races can you get into for $30? It's unrealistic to think you'll be able to sign up for a tri for that price with all that has to be done for a triathlon. Organizations can/will charge whatever people are willing to pay. I swear I could never be a RD
2014-05-04 8:36 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Wow, I'm glad I live where I live. $60 is about the standard price around here and these are for the most part very well run races. No way I'm spending $90 for a sprint. Way to much for me for an hour long event. The sprints I've signed up for are in the 45-55 range, the half I'm racing in august, extremely well run race is $150. The olympic I'm doing in two weeks was around $65 I think.

2014-05-05 6:42 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

Wow, I'm glad I live where I live. $60 is about the standard price around here and these are for the most part very well run races. No way I'm spending $90 for a sprint. Way to much for me for an hour long event. The sprints I've signed up for are in the 45-55 range, the half I'm racing in august, extremely well run race is $150. The olympic I'm doing in two weeks was around $65 I think.

I think $60 is about standard most places, assuming you sign up early. I get a great deal on a local OLY series and pay less than $50 a race. In order to get that deal though I have to sign up about 8 months in advance. There's a local (to the OP) race on memorial day that fits his race description that is $85, however had he/she signed up early it would have been the "standard" $69. Can't get mad at the people putting on the race that the OP waited until late to register.
2014-05-05 9:33 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I'm new to tri races, so I can't speak to what they used to be, but the sprint I am signed up for this month cost $54 if you signed up early. It cost me $70 because I only signed up a couple weeks ago. The sprint I want to do in June is $80 & has been since registration opened. Both are USAT races, so you either need a membership or pay the $12 one day fee. I'm in Atlanta & most water lakes are very active this time of year, so any race needs to be out in the sticks if you want to avoid shutting down any major roads.

I come from a running background & I know what it costs just to put on a 10K, HM, & Marathon in Atlanta (it ain't cheap). Considering that tris require more setup and coordination (transition, numbering, caps, chip timing, etc, etc) than a typical run, I feel that anything under $100 for any race under a HIM is reasonable, and I would definitely be willing to pay over $100 for an OLY if the course was nice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasonable Cost? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Reasonable plane ticket cost for HIM San Juan

Started by Izlude
Views: 543 Posts: 2

2011-08-31 7:31 PM TriMyBest

What is reasonable?

Started by justalittletri
Views: 1928 Posts: 24

2006-03-21 3:42 PM donmck

Reasonable (and relative!) Performance Goals

Started by AikiPapi
Views: 682 Posts: 4

2005-07-19 3:13 PM AikiPapi

Reasonable and Customary Price

Started by lexington476
Views: 890 Posts: 7

2005-05-26 1:48 PM rollinbones

what is reasonable for 1st sprint tri?

Started by possum
Views: 1211 Posts: 16

2005-05-08 11:40 AM Writebrained
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are organic products worth the extra cost? In terms of nutrition, some research suggests organic foods may have slightly more minerals and antioxidants than conventionally grown counterparts.