United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this at the last minute so I could do the "Back 2 Back" challenge - this race coupled with the fall full marathon - to get the extra swag. Training was fairly nonexistent, save for the half marathon I ran 3 weeks prior. Also rode for 2 hours and got sunburned yesterday (and went to a charity event last night) so my body was a bit fatigued.
Event warmup:

With this being my local race I was not very concerned about getting there early. Then of course I couldn't find parking so scrambled and finally found a space 15 minutes before the gun was to go off - but still made it with time to spare.
Run
  • 2h 29m 37s
  • 13.14 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

May the Fourth - a Star Wars themed race! I love that this race series does themes (last year it was on Cinco de Mayo so they played that up). Super pleased with my wardrobe choice of run skirt, singlet and visor, knowing we were on our way to 99 degrees today (good bye spring!).

I was pumped up at the start, and predictably emotional. I just love running so much and this was the most beautiful morning - blue sky, no clouds, slight breeze and here I was at the start line of my 13th (!) stand-alone half marathon, in my beloved home town, running along our GORGEOUS downtown and Arkansas river area. Also predictably, I cried. Oh, Lisa :)

So the first 3 miles were actually pretty tedious after the start. I kicked myself for forgetting ibuprofen and my left knee hurt immediately. But after mile 3 it stopped, and things got more enjoyable, just ticking off the miles one by one.

I don't know what this new (?) trend is with races, but having aid stations once every 2+ miles just seems like not enough to me... maybe I am just used to Ironman runs where they are every mile on the mile... but again I was so glad I had my hand held - I mean people were stopping and forming lines at park water fountains to get hydration. I drank two, 20-oz bottles of my hand held, plus Gatorade at 5 aid stations.

I didn't stop to walk until mile 8, where I ate my Sports Beans - walked a few times in this mile and maybe a few more in 9 and 10.

But at mile 11, the 2:30 pace group caught me (while I was walking) and they were SO energetic and encouraging, I jumped right in with them. The pace leaders were constantly pepping people up, calling them by the color of their shirt, encouraging, woo-hooing, and just having a blast. I liked these people - A LOT. I decided to stay with them, and it was a great decision!

We pushed and pushed and I was actually a bit ahead of them in the last mile - I was trying to pull another girl who was fading, we ran most of the last mile together. Finally over the Arkansas River and to the finish line - lots of people! Sunshine! Posters! Cowbells! And STORM TROOPERS handing out medals!

I completely shocked myself by staying with the pace group for the last two miles and am so proud of this effort.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was right on-point for me and I pushed to my limits to get under 2:30 today.
Post race
Warm down:

Just found my car and headed home. Need a bath and a nap :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:29:37 | 13.14 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Through BEAUTIFUL downtown Wichita, including Old Town, Riverside Park, Botanica, and along the Arkansas River path. Flat flat flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-05-04 11:31 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Prairie Fire Spring Half Marathon

2014-05-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4991325

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Prairie Fire Spring Half Marathon
Yippee! A well ran race. I'm glad (and impressed) you held onto and passed the 2:30 pace group. I'm also impressed with the Storm Troopers costumes. I love it when people put some effort and creativity into stuff.
2014-05-05 7:05 AM
in reply to: InnerAthlete

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

the storm troopers are awesome.  good run for zero prep and 100 degrees, yikes!

2014-05-05 8:39 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great job getting in with that pace group and passing them

Storm troopers sound awesome!  Bet the people in those costumes were as hot as you all running in those high temps!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Prairie Fire Spring Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Half Marathon

Started by DeVinci13
Views: 1176 Posts: 1

2013-11-24 5:46 PM DeVinci13

Prairie Fire Half Marathon

Started by npenner02
Views: 1099 Posts: 1

2013-07-08 9:25 PM npenner02

Prairie Fire Half Marathon

Started by lisac957
Views: 1547 Posts: 4

2013-05-06 8:53 AM Barkeep

Steamboat Springs half marathon

Started by Christie
Views: 845 Posts: 2

2006-06-06 7:10 AM hpadkisson

DeLeon Springs Half Marathon

Started by soupaman
Views: 1295 Posts: 2

2004-12-26 4:44 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09