Streamline Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 29s
Overall Rank = 32/120
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6. Shower, normal breakfast, had some extra gatorade and water with breakfast. Drove to the race, about 30 minutes, bottle of water on the way. NV Granola bar settling up transition and a small bottle of water
Event warmup:

Went for a quick jog, about 1/2 mile, just to loosen everything up.
Run
  • 23m 49s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I went in with the intention of taking the first mile easy then speeding up as the race went on but the first half was straight downhill and the 2nd half was coming back up. I knew I could kind of let it go to start then just pace myself on the way back, which I did. Kept with a couple people most of the way. Once we all settled in I wasn't really passed or passing anyone. Good to know that if this was a stand alone 5k I could have really put the hammer down and probably shaved at minimum a minute off that time.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I hit pretty much the exact time I wanted to and while I felt it, I still felt fresh on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Quick run in, grab the bike and helmet and out. The mount like was about 20 yards up a hill which was nice so I didn't have to attempt to mount going up that hill. Still had a bit of an issue getting into the shoe though. I need to use rubber bands.

Rubber bands.
Bike
  • 39m 45s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 20.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Right away I passed a lot of people. I settled in and for the first maybe 5 miles I was cooking. First half was slightly downhill and there were cross winds, but I kept ticking off 2:30 and 2:40 miles which was what I really wanted to do. Then came a turn on to a main road and all of a sudden the wind just smacked us in the face. It was a slight incline and a really nice smooth road, but man the wind was brutal. I thought it was just me and I should suck it up, but after the race everyone was mentioning that the wind killed them on that 2nd half of the bike. Kind of discouraging to go from 2:40 miles to 3:20 miles and I tried not to push myself too hard and just stay low and keep moving. I was putting out a pretty good effort and was kind of surprised when I pulled around a corner and saw the transition area.

I wanted to go 40 minutes and I was 39:45. Eh, would have liked to go lower, especially given how I was cooking at first, but the wind was equal on everyone so it's ok. It will definitely give me motivation to knock out some much harder training rides though.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

They slowed us way down early going into T2. I was able to get my feet out of my shoes but I had 20 yards of people telling me slow down and unclip even though I already had my feet on top of my shoes. Felt like I moved pretty quick though.

Learn to do a flying dismount? Nah, not right now.
Run
  • 12m 37s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were protesting this run. It was about 1/2 mile into the orchard then 4 loops up and down rows of the orchard. It was hilly and footing was just long muddy grass, not really meant for running. I was pretty beat. It was tough to keep up my 8 minute mile and I was pretty disappointed in how dead my legs were. The last 100 yards or so was on pavement and I felt fine on that, I think the terrain just played with my already beaten legs.

I tried sucking it up, I just didn't have the legs to barrel through the finishing run like I would have wanted. Really not psyched on this at all. I had the intentions of really bombing the last run but it was not to be.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my wife and son (saw them two other times in the race), had a water, gatorade and two super fresh donuts while my son played in the bouncy house they had set up. Yeah I was beat but it was fun chasing him around and watching him jump around like a nut.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Eh, nothing really. I made my goal times which was great, some reason the last run is just kind of eating away at me. Wish I could have really done that better. I could stand to lose some weight too, although since starting tri's this was my lightest weight so far.

Event comments:

Very well run race for an inaugral race. Everything was on time and put together nicely. Definitely well run and would do it again.

Last updated: 2014-05-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:49 | 03.2 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/120
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:31
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:39:45 | 13.3 miles | 20.08 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:12:37 | 01.5 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-04 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: Spring Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TriState Outfitters Spring Duathlon

Started by Flyboy
Views: 1351 Posts: 6

2008-03-18 11:17 AM c_cic

Hidden Springs Duathlon

Started by dochalladay
Views: 1026 Posts: 1

2006-09-16 4:52 PM dochalladay

Swing Into Spring Duathlon

Started by triman50
Views: 929 Posts: 2

2006-05-07 5:27 PM southernaquagoddess

Started by triman50
Views: 944 Posts: 3

2005-05-01 9:40 PM KSMITH

Started by triman50
Views: 1085 Posts: 2

2004-05-03 12:12 PM bikegal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.